Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on how to get my mother to not be afraid to meet our pitty? She comes from a small town, where the media (like everywhere) plays up how "terrible" pitbulls are....

I have sent her pics upon pics of him cuddling up to us... and she talks to him through the phone..lol.. so he can "know her voice"...

I just dont know if he will sense her fear?

·
Registered
901 Posts
When she comes to visit have your pup crated and once she is seated. Provide her with some of his favorite treats. Bring him out on a leash and slowly walk him toward her and let him sniff her. He will sense her fear but have her slowly throw treats around on the floor. If he has a kong or favorite toy lay it near herr and let him play with it near her. Once she becomes more comfortable around him allow him to move about calmly near her. She will warm up once she realizes he is not a "killer" dog. If she asks you to put him away then respect her wishes and give it some more time. Good luck

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
Don't push it... if she's scared she's scared. If she's jumpy at all or hesitant keep your dog put away. You must respect peoples comfort zones... Also, depending on your dogs temperament you may do more harm than good for your dog.

Reactions: aus_staffy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When she comes to visit have your pup crated and once she is seated. Provide her with some of his favorite treats. Bring him out on a leash and slowly walk him toward her and let him sniff her. He will sense her fear but have her slowly throw treats around on the floor. If he has a kong or favorite toy lay it near herr and let him play with it near her. Once she becomes more comfortable around him allow him to move about calmly near her. She will warm up once she realizes he is not a "killer" dog. If she asks you to put him away then respect her wishes and give it some more time. Good luck
I will try some of this... see we are going to her house... for their first meeting...

He isnt crated... so that wont work...

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Don't push it... if she's scared she's scared. If she's jumpy at all or hesitant keep your dog put away. You must respect peoples comfort zones... Also, depending on your dogs temperament you may do more harm than good for your dog.
advice, Shana!

To the OP.... Sometimes your dog can be the sweetest dog and love everybody; however, some can play on the fear they sense from some people. If your mom is terrified and nervous of the dog I'd crate until she calmed down.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
I will try some of this... see we are going to her house... for their first meeting...

He isnt crated... so that wont work...
Well if you are going to their house for the first meeting, it could be good because it is on neutral territory for the dog. Does your mom have pets?

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
well my mother was always scared of big dogs but seeing jack grow from childhood has helped her with my dog now I'm sure shes scared of other dogs but she has taken control of jack and is trying to teach him to shake hands(paws):)

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
I wouldn't lose no sleep,do make it clear though,in A nice way that should she visit that your dog won't be quarantined,and that it would be good for all involved to reach a happy medium.
it is your mom,and she should be first,yet in second capacity in YOUR household.
with time comes age with age comes wisdom,

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
My mom didn't like pit bulls before she met Helena. Hopefully your dog can be what changes her mind! :) Best of luck for your holiday!

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Excellent post. This is especially true if your dog is young and excitable.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
its all mentality.. My Ex will tell you Hooch was the best dog ever, but now Hooch is gone and we are divorced, she don't want THEM PIT BULLS AROUND HER KIDS.. LOL them KIDS raised my PITBULLS is my reply and Kick Rocks..

For YOU.. THe crate idea is how we handle all over zealous dogs when guests come over, I don't think they should be in there but a few minutes to feel the house calm down, and your mom needs to be assertive and not let the dog run all over her cause its a pitbull.. Its best your mom gets used to the idea of controling your dog as well.

I make people walk the dog around the house and what not so they get used to the idea of having a .45 on command LOL Its like being scared of guns, someone has to pick that gun up point it and pull the trigger before that gun is dangerous, APBTs are really no different except they will love you and snuggle next to you.

JMO I don't allow ppl to be here who are jumpy and skeery, my mom is just as cool with dogs she hasn't seen before or much at all, because FEAR is False Evidence Appearing Real.. Its a dog and humans are supreme because of our mind, fear makes our mind feeble. Sorry I just don't allow myself or others to be afraid while around my dogs.

·
Silver VIP Member
596 Posts
My parents were terrified when they heard I brought a Pit Bull home. My mom refused to even stop at my house for the first 6 months of me owning Nubs (most peaceful 6 months of my life because she rarely called). My dad stopped by a few times and quickly grew to like Nubs but wasn't so sure about him.

When my fiancé and I split up, I moved back home (it was a very fast decision) and my parents weren't too sure about having a Pit Bull in their home, but knew I would rather live on the streets then return my dog to the shelter, so they let me move home, and it took less then a week for my mom to completely fall head of heels for her new granddog.

Tips:
Silly Tricks- Teach your dog a ton of silly tricks. People can't seem to be scared of a dog that shakes, rolls over, speaks on command, and will turn circles on command. My mom got a KICK out of my tricks I've trained Nubs and that ended up being the thing that bonded them. She's even taught him commands (that I've still been unable to teach him blah)

Manners- No jumping when greeting. People are SCARED of the POWER this breed has. They are all very powerful dogs, and that's what scares people. Watching a Pit Bull demolish a car tire is NOT going to make people feel at ease around your dog. Give your dog a dog work out before introducing them to anyone who may be scared of the breed. A tired dog is less likely to jump on a person and be really annoying.

Your dog knows how to make a person like them if you just let them do the work. You do the preparations, they do the leg/paw work. Nubs can normally warm up even the darkest hearts in just a few meetings. I've seen people who are terrified around dogs in 2 or 3 visits start petting him because of his presistance. It just takes time and stupid pet tricks. Not joking one bit about those stupid tricks. It can make or break a meeting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
THank you guys for all the great advice!! I'm confident we can find something that makes her feel at ease...

Lex is the BIGGEST baby ever! I hope she can get over the neg stereotype she has associated him with and see that he is the SWEETEST dog ever!!

:)

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
THank you guys for all the great advice!! I'm confident we can find something that makes her feel at ease...

Lex is the BIGGEST baby ever! I hope she can get over the neg stereotype she has associated him with and see that he is the SWEETEST dog ever!!

:)
My Mom was the same around my dog, Lex, LoL... She was staying with my Husband & I during our wedding. She just kind of got thrown in & saw Lex for what he is & fell in love with him. Actually ended up babysitting him too during our honeymoon.

If I were you I wouldn't stress over it, she'll have to warm up to him on her own terms you just need to be confident & positive.

PS - show her this thread http://www.gopitbull.com/pitbull-lounge/31142-hysterical-video-pit-bull-adoption.html

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
My parents were terrified when they heard I brought a Pit Bull home. My mom refused to even stop at my house for the first 6 months of me owning Nubs (most peaceful 6 months of my life because she rarely called). My dad stopped by a few times and quickly grew to like Nubs but wasn't so sure about him.

When my fiancé and I split up, I moved back home (it was a very fast decision) and my parents weren't too sure about having a Pit Bull in their home, but knew I would rather live on the streets then return my dog to the shelter, so they let me move home, and it took less then a week for my mom to completely fall head of heels for her new granddog.

Tips:
Silly Tricks- Teach your dog a ton of silly tricks. People can't seem to be scared of a dog that shakes, rolls over, speaks on command, and will turn circles on command. My mom got a KICK out of my tricks I've trained Nubs and that ended up being the thing that bonded them. She's even taught him commands (that I've still been unable to teach him blah)

Manners- No jumping when greeting. People are SCARED of the POWER this breed has. They are all very powerful dogs, and that's what scares people. Watching a Pit Bull demolish a car tire is NOT going to make people feel at ease around your dog. Give your dog a dog work out before introducing them to anyone who may be scared of the breed. A tired dog is less likely to jump on a person and be really annoying.

Your dog knows how to make a person like them if you just let them do the work. You do the preparations, they do the leg/paw work. Nubs can normally warm up even the darkest hearts in just a few meetings. I've seen people who are terrified around dogs in 2 or 3 visits start petting him because of his presistance. It just takes time and stupid pet tricks. Not joking one bit about those stupid tricks. It can make or break a meeting.
:goodpost::rofl: GOOD CALL.. Maybe thats why everyone loved Hooch, he could do a ton of silly tricks. Never thought of that! Good Call....

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
:goodpost: Agreed...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts