Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
With he APBT good traits are double up by linebreding and inbreeding. scatterbreeding is introducing other lines with diffrent traits your not going to get a tight consistant dog.

An outcross it good here and there when the breeding is getting to tight IMO but to scatterbred isn't really acheiving much. its like baking a cake and just throwing in any items of food and guessing what will come out of the oven.

Reactions: dixieland

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I cant speak for everyone but for me I prefer a dog bred tightly and consistent with the traits and qualities they were originally selected for. If you have been breeding proven traits and qualities for so many generations you know what your going to get out of those dogs generation after generation. When you start throwing stuff together consistency and quality is lost and you really have no direction or clue as to what you would be producing. This is just my perspective not all scatter bred dogs are worthless but I think with the tighter bred dogs there is more consistency in the offspring and you are preserving the traits and qualities behind those family of dogs. I don't like surprises I would rather breed what's proven to work lol.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
I cant speak for everyone but for me I prefer a dog bred tightly and consistent with the traits and qualities they were originally selected for. If you have been breeding proven traits and qualities for so many generations you know what your going to get out of those dogs generation after generation. When you start throwing stuff together consistency and quality is lost and you really have no direction or clue as to what you would be producing. This is just my perspective not all scatter bred dogs are worthless but I think with the tighter bred dogs there is more consistency in the offspring and you are preserving the traits and qualities behind those family of dogs. I don't like surprises I would rather breed what's proven to work lol.
Exactly you lose what that individual line offers by scatter breeding. You also loose ability to keep consistency with temperament, drives, health, etc.

Just as everyone else has said really, you have good answers.

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
Also makes the peds look tidy LOL nothing worse than reading a scattered ped.

·
Registered
75 Posts
With he APBT good traits are double up by linebreding and inbreeding. scatterbreeding is introducing other lines with diffrent traits your not going to get a tight consistant dog.

An outcross it good here and there when the breeding is getting to tight IMO but to scatterbred isn't really acheiving much. its like baking a cake and just throwing in any items of food and guessing what will come out of the oven.
I'm not a breeder, havent been, dont ever plan on being.. so i'm a little lost.. you say inbreeding? how closely do you breed apbt?? i mean like mother/son, or like mother/sixth cousin twice removed, kinda thing?? sorry just a little confused :confused:

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
I'm not a breeder, havent been, dont ever plan on being.. so i'm a little lost.. you say inbreeding? how closely do you breed apbt?? i mean like mother/son, or like mother/sixth cousin twice removed, kinda thing?? sorry just a little confused :confused:
I dont want to read and run but it is home time lol.

Inbreeding is ok ONCE IMO mother/son father/daughter you dont want to double inbreed then you wil start gettting bad things comeout.

In saying mother/6th cousin that more of a streched linebreed, actually I would say scatter unless that 9th cousing was linebred also.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Wellllll I'm doing both... scatterbreeding and inbreeding... My tightly bred dogs are consistant with good traits BUT the bad traits are just as consistant... I have introduced other lines in order to strengthen the weakness, and re-enforce the good so to speak...

IMO when you start to go to tight you start to lose more of the good and go toward the weakness, thus requiring more and more culling... I've seen and owned tightly bred, inbred dogs that have a awesome pedigree that aren't worth the paper the peds are printed on.... literally... I've seen some trainwrecks in both, inbred and scatterbred, so its all a matter of what the breeder is going for...

Honestly it doesn't matter to me if other folks don't understand the direction I'm going by looking at my peds, it matters that I know what I'm going for and achieveing... Course they are welcome to ask, and I can explain my thought process, but as to them understanding thats a toss up..lmao

One of the best bitches I've ever owned or seen is a scatterbred bitch...redboy/jocko/CH Bull Sh it/ Nigerino... she produced better than herself when I took her to a pure colby male or to a heavy redboy/jocko male... in fact the colby cross was even better because the offspring could actually THINK where the redboy/jock cross made nutty fight crazy dogs with not a bit of brains....

It all comes down to a personal preference... I prefer to let the dog itself speak instead of the pedigree, there are way to many paper hangers, and generally shady people to rely on paperwork to be 100% honest...

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Wellllll I'm doing both... scatterbreeding and inbreeding... My tightly bred dogs are consistant with good traits BUT the bad traits are just as consistant... I have introduced other lines in order to strengthen the weakness, and re-enforce the good so to speak...

IMO when you start to go to tight you start to lose more of the good and go toward the weakness, thus requiring more and more culling... I've seen and owned tightly bred, inbred dogs that have a awesome pedigree that aren't worth the paper the peds are printed on.... literally... I've seen some trainwrecks in both, inbred and scatterbred, so its all a matter of what the breeder is going for...

Honestly it doesn't matter to me if other folks don't understand the direction I'm going by looking at my peds, it matters that I know what I'm going for and achieveing... Course they are welcome to ask, and I can explain my thought process, but as to them understanding thats a toss up..lmao

One of the best bitches I've ever owned or seen is a scatterbred bitch...redboy/jocko/CH Bull Sh it/ Nigerino... she produced better than herself when I took her to a pure colby male or to a heavy redboy/jocko male... in fact the colby cross was even better because the offspring could actually THINK where the redboy/jock cross made nutty fight crazy dogs with not a bit of brains....

It all comes down to a personal preference... I prefer to let the dog itself speak instead of the pedigree, there are way to many paper hangers, and generally shady people to rely on paperwork to be 100% honest...
Is it still considered scatterbreeding if you can explain the direction you're going in? I thought scatterbreeding was just randomly breeding dogs from different lines and crossing your fingers.

Genuine question BTW, not trying to be clever.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
IMO scatterbreeding is when you are taking several different lines and blending them together instead of staying within one family of dogs.

I have clean goals and direction, but I'm still blending in several lines to create my dogs.

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
A scatterbred dog is a dog that is not linebred. many lines in one dog. Really no different than a dog without papers, you really have no idea what you have or what you will get.

·
Registered
776 Posts
My take .
With any project you start , you have a beginning and the point you want to be . It is likely that ( if you are smart ) you will start with a foundation that you know and like .. but will find something you want to improve to make them exactly what you want( the only reason i can see to start breeding at all.. progession to your own vision) . So you pick and chose carefull breedings that will reinforce the things you love and at the same time , add the traits you are looking to add! So eventually you get what you want and you can just start linebreeding . Ofcourse you toss in an outcross if you feel things are gettin a lil stale or too closely bred .. but even then you want a line that is still along the guidlines you set for your line.
Now with scatter breeding , you rteally have no plan . you toss 2 dogs together and hope for the best.
Doesnt mean the dogs are bad .. just not really set tward any particular goals.

but im still a newb . So the others prolly answered it better . Just thought id offer it from a outsiders point of view.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts