Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started scent work with the dogs. They've done fantastic! We need to get more boxes to move up a step but for now we're working on strengthening the association with the scent and not the object.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
That's really awesome, Celeste! Great to see you find ways to keep them occupied in the house so they're not bored, lol. They look like they're enjoying the training sessions. I love the bloopers, too. Dakota looks so similar to my boy Roller, they look like they could be distant cousins lol.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Dakota would drive me nuts if I didn't keep him busy, he doesn't like to lay around the house. So this has been win in many ways. Your boy is quite handsome, the similarity is probably why he's been on of my favorites on here. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am very interested in scent training my girl too. What is it that they are finding and how are you getting them to lay down when they find it?

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are specific scents you introduce them to, we're currently using Birch, here's some stuff on that.
K9 NOSE WORK®

I introduced it like this.(but not past the scent wheel as we didn't have one.) Clicking(although I use a verbal marker) for targeting/touching their nose to it, moving the position and area of my hand when I present it as well as my position. Once they were getting that I'd say "Down" immediately after they touched it and then click for the down so they start to pair the two.
After they do that well you're going to want to start detaching your hand cue, playing it on a object, still hold your hand out but gradually increase the distance between your hand and the scent to try and eliminate the hand cue.
I would recommend doing more research into it though, since I'm very green.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Thank you! Dakota would drive me nuts if I didn't keep him busy, he doesn't like to lay around the house. So this has been win in many ways. Your boy is quite handsome, the similarity is probably why he's been on of my favorites on here. :)
Thank you! Roller is the lazy type, lol. He can go when he's outside, but he's used to being laid back in the house, especially because of my 2 1/2 yr old daughter. He's very careful not to knock her down or step on her. It'll blow his head up if I tell him someone thinks he's handsome lol.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! Roller is the lazy type, lol. He can go when he's outside, but he's used to being laid back in the house, especially because of my 2 1/2 yr old daughter. He's very careful not to knock her down or step on her. It'll blow his head up if I tell him someone thinks he's handsome lol.
He sounds like a sweetheart. Dakota's the opposite.. we babysit a boy the same age as him (2 1/2), they collide all the time. One runs into the other, the toddler finds it funny. Must be a boy thing, lol :)

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Sorry about that.. for some reason, it double posted on me. Not really sure why lol.

Definitely sounds like a boy thing. Roller's more rough with my daughter's 11 yr old brother, running after him, tackling him to the ground and licking him to death lol. He even tries to play football! But he loves his baby (my daughter), and even while playing, doesn't take his eyes off her for long. If anyone comes around, he immediately stops playing and goes on alert/guard. He's the same with my older two daughters, ages 9 and 7... he's gentle and loving with them, and very protective of all us girls!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts