• 5:Upperlevel shot of Main Street

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 6:Upperlevel shot of Main Street B&W

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:Another warehouse Vivid Color

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • 8:Another warehouse Vivid Color

• 9:The Rose Center (used to be an old school, now used for private community events) Vivid Color

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • 10:Rose Center again, B&W

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 11:Rose Center, natural color

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • 12:Rose Center, landscape w/infinity focus setting, B&W

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 13:Rose Center, landscape w/infinity focus setting, natural color

• 14:Morristown Utility Commission (lights/water) Natural Color

• 15:MUC, landscape setting

• 16:Hamblen County Courthouse, B&W

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, for those of you that know, or don't know, I'm taking a photography course online.. more like a correspondence course, thru PennFoster (formerly Education Direct) out of Scranton, PA. Anyways.. I have a graded project due, and I wanted to get some opinions.

The assignment is a two-part graded project, and here's what the first part is:

Your first client, John Boyle, assistant director of the local Chamber of Commerce, is designing a business "booster" brochure. For the cover, he needs a strong photograph of a prominent public building or city landmark in your area.

When you choose the multistory building or city landmark for this project, be sure to choose one that's used by the public and has interesting features.
So, here's the pix I took yesterday, and I'm having trouble deciding which one I should use. The instructions do not say I have to submit the photo in black and white or color, so I took the pix in both formats. This is where I'm having trouble choosing which one I should submit. I only have to submit one picture, so I could really use everyone's help here.

Ok, so here goes nothin, lol.
Downtown Main Street B&W

Downtown Main Street color

Upper level facing the Justice Center

Old Warehouse downtown

Upperlevel shot of Main Street

Upperlevel shot of Main Street B&W

Another warehouse Vivid Color

Same warehouse B&W

The Rose Center (used to be an old school, now used for private community events) Vivid Color

Rose Center again, B&W

Rose Center, natural color

Rose Center, landscape w/infinity focus setting, B&W

Rose Center, landscape w/infinity focus setting, natural color

Morristown Utility Commission (lights/water) Natural Color

MUC, landscape setting

Hamblen County Courthouse, B&W

If anyone can give me an idea of which one to use, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm leaning towards one of the Rose Center photos, but I'm just looking for 2nd, 3rd (and more) opinions. Any and all comments would be appreciated.

*This is my first time ever experimenting with B&W photos, so you photography buffs take it easy on me, ok!?*

·
NO TROLL PASSIN
3,801 Posts
Their all great shots ... really great ... to start the Rose Center Vivid stands out to me the most ... and I'm undecided on a second ... I'm come back again loll

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ronnie! Yeah, that's the one I'm leaning toward using! I can't wait to get more input!!

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Well, coming from another fellow photographer, I'm going to vote for the first rose center shot. The other shots don't really resemble a 'strong' landmark area.. to the untrained eye at least. And the Rose Center definitely has some interesting features to it to.. almost old school cathedral type building. That is definitely your best bet for sure. Perhaps you should go back, and get more pictures of that building from different angles and elevations, to give yourself more options. :) Good luck!

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Adrian! Unfortunately, I can only get shots of the Rose Center from the ground level. It's about a block away from the downtown section that I included photos of. And I was trying to keep the construction part out of the pix of the Rose Center... bobcats parked on the lawn, and the sign for the company doing the work... you know!? Yeah, I'll have to dig up the history on the building.. I know at one time, it was a school, and then it was converted to something else.. so should be interesting when I do my essay to accompany my photo.

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mama! 'Preciate it!

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
My fave would be The Rose Center Vivid Color second would be muc landscape setting.

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool, thanks Aimee! Glad to see everyone is pretty much going with the choice I already had in my head, lol! I just wanted other opinions... I'm so critical when it comes to my own work, lol.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I like the Rose Center too but I like the natural color with the infinity focus myself. I think It would look really cool if you had the building in natural color and the background in vivid, if it's that kind of photo class.

How bright the building is kinda takes away the historical landmark feel to me, but I'm definitely no photographer lol so that's just what I was thinking.

I also like the black & white Courthouse one...

They're all really nice pictures though, you're good at this!

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol.. thanks Loke! I appreciate your comments/compliments. I've been an aspiring photographer for some time now, and decided to take a course in it to improve my techniques. Of course, the graded projects with "real life" scenarios makes it that much more fun!! I completely understand what you're saying, but this is just a test to see what I've learned thus far about composing a portrait, as opposed to just taking a snapshot. Would be fun to toy around with the idea in Photoshop, but it's not on graphical or digital design.. just how well I can pay attention to lighting, background noise, focal point, etc.. the basics of photography, pretty much in a nutshell.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yeahh I figured it wasn't really that type of class but I'm a photoshopper all the way lol I just see a picture and automatically I'm thinking of how I could tear it apart and put it back together! I still like the infinity focus idk I think it's the stop sign...but I can see the portrait idea you're talking about too.

Keep up the good work you'll have to impress us with some Pro pictures of your puppies when the class is all finished!

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha.. thanks Loke. If/when I get another dog, I'll definitely flood the forum with pix, lol. I loved Photoshop when I had it.. used to have a book I picked up on Amazon too, The Photoshop Bible, lol.. it came in handy, that's for sure.. I'll have to get it again when I get photoshop. You got the full, latest version? If so, any chance you can get me a copy of it for when I get my computer?

Lol, Ronnie. I was thinking about it, but I've never done that before, and didn't wanna sound stupid asking how to do it, lol. Too late now, I guess, but it's all good.

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I voted for number 7. I like the colours and I like the depth of the photo the whole picture is eye pleasing the lines allow your eye to follow the picture through you don't miss anything. as in the school picture the trees are a distraction for me.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Bev, Rose Center vivid and second place, Downtown color ( maybe with a little more traffic since this assignment is designed to boost business). Go with your heart and stand by it though:)

·
Banned
666 Posts
Rosecenter vivid and warehouse vivid. The rose center has a lot of old architecture in it and I'd focus on the era and any renovations that kept changing with the periods.
I like the warehouse vivid because of the different textures and colors in the architecture.
I agree, the Rose Center needs some different angles. Can you do any photoshop to them for the class?

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone. You're right Lisa, it does match what the assignment is asking for.

Coppermare, thank you for your vote/comment as well. Unfortunately, no, I cannot photoshop anything. It has to be exactly how I took the photo. This is a basic Photography course, and right now the assignment is to just show what I've learned so far about setting up the photo, using natural lighting, etc.

Sharon, thanks for your comments/vote as well. It is much appreciated.

Christian.. I appreciate your comment/vote as well. It seems as everyone is thinking along the same lines as I am, lol.

The photos that aren't used for the assignment will be used for my own decorative purposes at home. Printed, framed and hung. The more I learn in this course, the better I'm getting at taking photos instead of snapshots, lol. I'm really enjoying it!

*Bump.. don't want this getting lost, lol. Bump*

1 - 20 of 52 Posts