Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've been looking at different clubs an I'm goin to the next Saturday session that a club in Birmingham is having!! Then my groomer for my mini schnazure is in a club in Decatur an she is gonna take me with her when they meet next time!! But she told me since my dog is almost a yr old already I may need to start with a younger pup!! Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!! An if that is the case does anyone have any kennel recomindations?

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Starting with a pup can be easier of course as they are raised for the work. Some older dogs just may not have the foundations to do bite work. I just started a 5 year old thought and he does great, so it's not that it can't be done, just depends on the dog.

Scorch's first time out.
Scorch

Reactions: PatienceFlame

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Thanks for posting this Holly. I've been on the fence with D. I think he'd do really well with it, he goes balls out for tugs, and has a very good out but everyone keeps telling me he's way to old to start. I mean he's not a little puppy anymore but he's definitely got puppy brain sometimes ;)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
A year old isn't too old to start if you haven't done much with them. The problem with starting dogs too old is they are afraid to really get into drive sometimes. The typical pet person would not want their dog to lunge at the end of a line at someone even if they are attached to a toy. We see older dogs who come and and just sit their while the other dogs are going nuts. As pet owners we shut down that behavior as rude so in older dogs it makes it hard for them to get into drive and pull at the end of the leash.

Some people think they need to wait to start a dog but I start all my dogs as soon as they can walk on leash and had vaccinations so around 8 weeks or so. Now not a lot a little pup can than chase a flirt pole and watch the other dogs but getting them out into that environment is what is important. Schutzhund is more than bite work it's tracking and Obed and all of that should be started young. The older they are the more bad habits they have picked up that for a pet would be ok but not a show dog. Like heeling is not just walking by your side on leash..... it's a focused heel with full attention and that is a foundation that takes a long time. So the younger the better! Also with older dogs you run the risk of breaking teeth. ( I mean this comment for Holly and Krystal)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts