Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, new to the pitbull forum site, I got a 21wk old red American Pit female named Zoe. Just wanted to say hi to everyone here.

So many questions regarding pits, I've had dogs all my life, but have always wanted a pitbull. Finally as I was stationed in Yuma for a short period we bought a rescued pit from a friend of a coworker. She was the runt out of the three pups, but she seemed to hold her ground when it came to eating amongst her siblings, she was very friendly to me, my wife and my kids, so it was a no brainer to get her. We got her when she was 12 weeks old, shes got all her shots and she's chipped as well. Trying very hard to get her more house broken, but its a work in progress. She has gotten into one small fight with a large pitbull mastiff mix, full grown, the pit/mastiff appeared to be friendly at first but then towered over Zoe, then started attacking her showing teeth and growling. Zoe didn't back down and went for her neck, I pulled her away quickly. The pit/mastiff mix wasn't leashed, i thought any type of pit mix is always to be leashed in california regardless how behaved you think your pit is. Is that true? I got more questions that I will ask later. But I just wanted to share that with all of you. So glad to find a forum with folks that love pits like we do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey folks, new to the pitbull forum site, I got a 21wk old red American Pit female named Zoe. Just wanted to say hi to everyone here.

So many questions regarding pits, I've had dogs all my life, but have always wanted a pitbull. Finally as I was stationed in Yuma for a short period we bought a rescued pit from a friend of a coworker. She was the runt out of the three pups, but she seemed to hold her ground when it came to eating amongst her siblings, she was very friendly to me, my wife and my kids, so it was a no brainer to get her. We got her when she was 12 weeks old, shes got all her shots and she's chipped as well. Trying very hard to get her more house broken, but its a work in progress. She has gotten into one small fight with a large pitbull mastiff mix, full grown, the pit/mastiff appeared to be friendly at first but then towered over Zoe, then started attacking her showing teeth and growling. Zoe didn't back down and went for her neck, I pulled her away quickly. The pit/mastiff mix wasn't leashed, i thought any type of pit mix is always to be leashed in california regardless how behaved you think your pit is. Is that true? I got more questions that I will ask later. But I just wanted to share that with all of you. So glad to find a forum with folks that love pits like we do.
Welcome fellow newb. I can only speak about 1 of your issues, house breaking. Are you crate training Zoe? I highly suggest crate training for many reasons, a big one is house breaking. Look it up if your not, if you are, then good luck! Itll happen with time. Take care

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Welcome to the forum there is a ton of info here if you search in the top search bar you can find alot of info, if you cant then just ask :)

And you are right about pits or mixes being on leash , In my opinion ANY dog should be on leash as not every dog that they approach will be friendly. Sorry you had to go through that with your girl but you see what she is capable of and even though she didnt start the fight she sure could have ended it right? or atleast done some serious damage. One of the few down sides to this breed is dog aggression . There are tons of threads on here about it if you havent heard of it before. Great reason alone why dog parks and off leash walking arent the best choices.

Would love to see some pictures of your girl :) Again welcome both of you to the forum.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
agree w/Angle and miguel, ALL DOGS should be leashed no matter how "friendly". Sadly we know that's not the case. But if that dog attacked any other dog, it could have been killed because it was not leashed. You NEVER KNOW and being responsible with the breed is a must. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dude good to hear a fellow teufelhunden is on this forum too, I'm actually a corpsman, doc to those who respect us. Semper fidelis homie.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dude good to hear a fellow teufelhunden is on this forum too, I'm actually a corpsman, doc to those who respect us. Semper fidelis homie.
Kill! Semper fi, Doc!

If you need anything hit me up. Where are you stationed at? Im at Parris Island

·
GYPSY PAVING
445 Posts
Welcome Bro..U Joined what I consider is the Best Pit Info site there is....Im on my 6th Pit/Bully breed Dog and as others have said "crate crate crate" I cant sat that enough..not only for poddy training but its a safe Haven away from my kids and all. Also when we are getting ready for a function and tryin to move quickly with the kids ect???i put them in so i dont have a nose Behind me as im tryin to get my pants on and run out the door. Lol...idk bought calli, but NY is leash law no matter what dog. I hate sseein a dog off a leash, it screws up my whole walk with my dogs. Have fun, welcome

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Welcome and thank both of you guys for serving and keeping us safe!!! :) SD, you are correct in saying to keep all pit bull or pit mixes leashed...ESPECIALLY out in public.

It only takes 1 misbehaved "pit bull" to ruin it for all the other well behaved ones. The negative press that these dogs get is over whelming.

So I can't speak for everyone but most of us try as much as possible to not set these dogs up for failure...

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Welcome to the forum!Y'all are not the only devildogs here.A member named Heavy Jeep is as well.I myself am a Marine wife.
Thanks for everything you do!!:clap:

·
Original Prankster
13,927 Posts
California has leash laws, no dogs are allowed off leash in public unless in areas that allow it such as dog pars, which are a bad idea in the first place.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome and thank both of you guys for serving and keeping us safe!!! :) ...
No problem! its the least i can do

Welcome to the forum!Y'all are not the only devildogs here.A member named Heavy Jeep is as well.I myself am a Marine wife.
Thanks for everything you do!!:clap:
Awesome! Good to know where my brothers are at

1 - 12 of 12 Posts