Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I always buy my dog food from a local feed store. For various reasons I've had to switch brands a few time in the past couple of years. I've used Victor which is a local brand. My dogs did good on it but one day wouldn't eat it anymore. Turns out they had reformulated it and dogs were also getting sick from a bad batch and they had a recall. Guess my babies knew there was a problem cuz they weren't having nothing to do with it. Started them on Taste Of The Wild than discovered the class action lawsuit against the parent company Diamond Pet Foods. The lawsuit claims that through testing it was discovered that Taste Of The Wild products contain heavy metals including arsenic, lead, mercury, and cadmium, as well as pesticides, acrylamide, and BPA. I had also been using the parent company's flagship brand named after the company itself "Diamond" as well. The thought of all those contaminants worried me so I cut them off of Diamond.

One day at the feed store while on my quest for the perfect food, I bumped into a representative from a company called NutriSource. We talked for almost an hour and I must say I was somewhat impressed. That evening I researched the company and couldn't find any negative publicity online regarding the brand. No lawsuits or recalls. One thing I learned is that NutriSource recently lost their largest account which was Petco. Apparently, Petco wanted NutriSource to make changes to the future products that would be supplied to Petco. This was because Petco wanted to charge less for the food but keep the profits the same or even increase profitability. NutriSource pulled their entire product line from Petco's shelves and have stated that they won't do business again. That sends a loud and clear message to me that NutriSource cares more about upholding their standards than making money. Im sure that it affected there pocket quite a bit but I have respect for them. However, my dogs don't like the food. My dogs don't care for the flavor or the smell of the food.

So I am still searching and considering the possibility of going raw if I can afford to. Does anyone here have experience with NutriSource? How did your dogs like the flavor? Also any advice for raw suppliers would be great and just curious how much those of you feeding raw diet are spending per month for each dog. Thank for any input you have..

·
Registered
48 Posts
In this house, the Iams dog would starve if they wouldn't convert!!😁
Iams used to be such a good food. Iams kitten food was the go to for ferrets.
Then they sold out, buyers just bought the name, changed the recipes to cheap and most consumers never read the label.
If a premium brand becomes available at the grocery store, read the label.
But I get the dog eats what dog eats.
I prefer to feed raw. Willow will have none of that. She gets a choice of freeze dried raw, air dried or kibble. Sometimes canned chicken. She is a total P.I.T.A., but what are you going to do?😜

1 - 6 of 6 Posts