Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kandi is 17 weeks now, and my son starts school next week, so I will have some extra time to spend on getting her trained....

What are some questions I should ask when selecting the right person?
What should be taught in a pup's first sessions?

These are a few questions I have... I live in a small town, so it may be hard to find a lot to choose from.

The one I have heard about has been doing dog training for 10 years, but I suppose I need to search around some more..

I'm new to all of this, but I want to do this pup right.

Let me know your views and what are great things to question before selecting one.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
what is your city, state, and zip code and I can look for a some trainers for you. You want someone with experience with bulldogs and if not that at least has been training for awhile. You do not want a trainer who is stuck in one way of training you want one who has lots of tricks up their sleeve. You do not want a strictly motivational trainer who never corrects and you do not want one who is always correcting the crap out of a dog. There is a nice balance you want to look for in a trainer and preferable one who has some accomplishments with their dogs. If they cannot train their own dog why trust them to train yours? of course this is JMO ;)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
There is a place in your town called super K9 training but the trainer does not have any real training experience and is "certified" on line not with any real credentials and has not done anything other than pet stuff with her own pet. I guess if they are your only option you can go there but it is not the ideal place i would pick it there were other options. Is there anther town that is close enough like with 45 min of you place? I say 45 min but I guess that depends on how far you are willing to drive. I drive 45 each way to the next town over and I work mostly there since it is a bigger town.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The next town over that is anywhere close to decent in size is Mckinney, and that is about an hour drive including traffic and such. I don't think I would want to take a class from someone who doesn't have a lot of experience. Is there any other options that I have? How well do you think training videos and in-home training works?? Any other suggestions you may have??

It would probably be hard for me to take her an hour away from training when my son is in school and has be be picked up at 2 20 every day....

*sigh*

1 - 7 of 7 Posts