Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...so my pup APBT (almost 10 weeks) has some of the worst SA I've seen in a dog (only seen a few dogs with it). I can't even keep him in a room with the door shut without him going wild. When I put him in his crate crying/barking ensues along with trying to viciously destroy w/e toy or chew snack may be in the cage. The crying/barking does not stop he keeps at it until I'm fully out the door which is usually about 20-30 minutes from shower to car. He's usually asleep by the time I get back but I do not know how long he continues on while I'm gone. I leave him around 8am and I come back to let him out during lunch 11-1130ish and then leave him again until 5pm. He has only ahd 1 accident in his cage, and I normally wouldn't leave the puppy unattended this long as usually there is someone else in the house however most of my family is on vacation in Florida right now and my dad has not been helpful...in fact I'm pretty sure hes undermining me but I do not know why.

I don't know if the barking/crying is worsening because someone is letting him out during the day while he's whining. Several days in a row I've returned home to find piss and poop in various spots of the house along with things in my room that were in different locations (out of reach of dog). Now my grandmother and father are the only ones home, she just had surgery and can't get down the stairs, and my father and I have been yelling and swearing at eachother because I'm blaming him for this and he swears up and down that he "never touches your dog". Today in particular there was a puddle of pee right in the door way as soon as I opened the door to my room...was not there when I left, and the dog was in his crate...

Why would he lie about this? I think when I leave for work if he doesn't have to be out for another hour to 2 he goes downstairs and lets the dog out of the cage so he shuts up, and then puts him back in as he leaves. If hes gonna undermine me like that he could atleast clean up the piss in the doorway no? I'm extremely pissed....

If you guys have had any similar issues, let me know how you solved them... I'm not expecting much advice, cuz this was more of a rant then a plea for help...sorry about that...

I geuss all I can do right now is buy a lock for my door right?...and no my father doesn't own the house so I don't need to cater anything to him, if anything it's more mine then it is his.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I think the lock would be acceptable, but it makes me nervous about fires and you not being there (sorry I had one and now am forever paranoid) He has issues being locked in the crate when he knows your home? My pup was fine when I was home just as soon as I left he would be so freaked and bark away. I put a radio on for him in the other room and would sneak out, he would not realize I was gone and start barking (my neighbors told me lol).

Good luck and I am sorry I don't have any other suggestions.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
A lock for your door. A lock on the dogs kennel. Just in case. Ticking clocks and radios are supposed to be good. You could stuff a kong with peanut butter.Good luck with everything.

·
NO TROLL PASSIN
3,801 Posts
A lock for your door. A lock on the dogs kennel. Just in case. Ticking clocks and radios are supposed to be good. You could stuff a kong with peanut butter.Good luck with everything.
I agree with Aimee's suggestions.
The pup will never get use to being alone in a crate if it's continuously being let out while its crying then allowed to pee and poop freely. These are going to be horrible learned behaviors that are going to cause you so many problems down the road. Sorry your having to deal with this and the way you want your dog being raised is not being respected. It's good that your making that trip back home to let him out to pottie since he is so young they have to go way more often.

You can possibly try using a tshirt you have slept in , I use to take my night shirts off and put them on a really soft teddy bear stuffy and he would be curled up on it when I got home he would also go in his crate to lay on it during the day when he was loose around the house so he became familiar with it and comforted when in there alone. Give him good things in the crate, treats when he's in there with the door open so he associates it as an ok place, his place.
Don't let him out til he simmers down if he is whining when you walk through the door and praise him when he does calm down.
Sometimes a cover over the crate works to like a little cave dwelling for him.
Wish I could be of more help but these are the things that worked for me so I never had to research further, besides everyone in my home respects what I say and if I say do not let my dog out unless its to pottie not because he's crying they know NOT too.

Best of luck let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya guys its pretty bad, I can't even close the bathroom door without him sitting outside it crying. I've tried with the crate uncovered, partially covered, fully covered. Gave him nyloprene bones, real rib bones, bully stick, he doesn't seem to be too interested in the peanut butter I put inside his Kong...as soon as the cage door shuts he starts shaking. I got him to fall asleep last night by lying down at the cage with him and he just shook and wimpered till he fell asleep and as soon as I got up (I thought I was ninja-like quiet) he started flipping out again.

Other then that he's a model citizen lol so I geuss it could be worse with some of the other issues people deal with. I'm having a hard time with corrections though, for the most part he will listen when I say no, but certain things get him too riled up, such as towels...he attacks them when I'm trying to clean up his pee, as well as flipping out in the cage/being alone in a room. Water squirts and loud noises don't bother him, I've tried giving him a quick smack on the nose or top of the head if he's being really bad (I feel like his reaction after those is "b*tch that don't bother me) I don't want to give him time outs in the cage because he already hates it and I don't want to associate it with punishment.

I should note I also tried wearing him out. I kept him in the back yard with me for 3 1/2 hours till I was tired and all he would do is lie in the grass. Like he was renewed with energy soon as he got in the cage. My cousin swears by those shock colors, but they seem a little cruel, I know I wouldn't enjoy getting tasered everytime I did something bad, then again, I'd probablys stop doing it after the first time...Any opinions on those, as they are also pretty expensive.

·
NO TROLL PASSIN
3,801 Posts
He's only 10 weeks a shock collar or anything in that sense is out of the question.
Puppies require lots of patience ... I know it seems like he will not grow out of it but he will eventually. I would suggest no letting him sleep in your bed or in your arms if possible.
Start looking into group puppies classes and/or a professional trainer to start working on those behaviors at least by the time he gets his rabies shot which should be in the next few weeks right?
Try the teddy bear idea with clothing you have slept in so it has your scent leave it in there with him crate opened. How old was he when you got him? Combine them all if you have to so he has choices in his crate ... you might even have to drown him out and let him cry in the crate while your in the house at intervals and only let him out when he has calmed down for a bit. Its so hard when their this young for some to understand how they went from a group of siblings sleeping in each others warmth to them being alone.
But please no shock collars he is way to young and has yet been given enough time to grow out of this.
Have you search the forum for puppy threads ? There are plenty with people who have had similar problems. Unfortunately its summer so a lot of members are out or very busy and don't have time to come and chime in ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya I've been leaving him in there more and more, his 2nd set of shots is in about 1 1/2 weeks and I got him at 8 weeks. I've read a few other similar threads, but he seems to be worsening as his lungs get mroe powerful because now he's louder lol as opposed to getting better. The whole thread was more of a rant with people lying and undermining me, and me being stressed out. I pretty much assumed it's something I need to wait out and be patient with...similar to house training...can't believe I'm saying it but I'd rather pick his poop up daily then have him screaching like that lol.

My family gets back on Saturday, I'm hoping having them around they will help me out with the behavior training and not make it worse.

·
NO TROLL PASSIN
3,801 Posts
Loll ranting is OK ... we all need to vent sometimes raising a pup is not easy as cute as they are. What you would need to do is set a schedule if you are going to ask your family to help with raising him, everyone needs to be on the same page. Puppies need a routine and if one person breaks away from it, its all heck getting them out of bad habits.
I'm sure once your able to get him into some puppy classes and training he will get better gradually. I feel your pain tho, I've had some stubborn ones in my day and OMG!! lol

·
Banned
1,616 Posts
Training For Separation Anxiety In Dog - Training For Dog Separation Anxiety

I know this method has worked for some.

Dog Separation Anxiety Training Method - Surprise, I'm back

Every time you leave your dog, he is unsure of if and when you're coming home. This method helps your dog to realize that you will leave him often, but you won't always be gone for a long time and you will always return home to him.

This part of the process is calculated and can take some time, but slowly your dog adapts to your comings and goings.

Training Step by step

Leave your home for different amounts of time and then come back as usual.

For example, to start with, you'll leave your home for five minutes and then come back to your dog. You'll build up from five minutes to ten minutes and then from twenty minutes to forty minutes and then to an hour. Each instance, you'll leave your home for a different amount of time. Once you work up to leaving for an hour, go back to ten minutes and then go to two hours.

Below is a sample for mixing up the duration of trips from your home:

· 5 minutes

· 10 minutes

· 20 minutes

· 40 minutes

· 1 hour

· 10 minutes

· 2 hours

· 20 minutes

· 5 minutes

· 3 hours

Your dog will quickly realize that you do not always leave for a long time and that you always return home to him. Do this method over a few days and then just return to your regular routine of coming and going.

·
Registered
207 Posts
First off who's name is on the deed? If it's your house I say put a lock on the door, if it's your parents house then don't even think about putting a lock on the door. That would show a complete lack of respect for the person/people who are letting you stay with them. Do you have a web cam? If so you could set it up to record while you are away and then you would have your proof.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Grandmothers house, putting a lock on isn't an issue I just don't think I should need to go get a lock at my age for privacy. Nothing abnormal today. Dog is holding his bladder better, although he pissed on the back steps in the process of going outside, so I geuss I still need to carry him to the door for now. He's still going nuts when I leave but I think for shorter periods of time because when I got to my car I realized I forgot my gym bag and headed back in and he was lying down quiet, although when he saw me he started up again.

Side note, whats some good stuff to put in a kong, he doesn't really like the peanut butter, and the kong squeezy stuff reminds me of the canned cheese, I feel like it's probably not the best thing in the world for him to be eating, but maybe I'm wrong.

·
Banned
1,616 Posts
Grandmothers house, putting a lock on isn't an issue I just don't think I should need to go get a lock at my age for privacy. Nothing abnormal today. Dog is holding his bladder better, although he pissed on the back steps in the process of going outside, so I geuss I still need to carry him to the door for now. He's still going nuts when I leave but I think for shorter periods of time because when I got to my car I realized I forgot my gym bag and headed back in and he was lying down quiet, although when he saw me he started up again.

Side note, whats some good stuff to put in a kong, he doesn't really like the peanut butter, and the kong squeezy stuff reminds me of the canned cheese, I feel like it's probably not the best thing in the world for him to be eating, but maybe I'm wrong.
Can try canned food, I have stuffed it with a ton of bone treats too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts