Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bobby my significant other has a dog he's had for quite some time. I believe he's around 10yrs old. He's never really displayed any behavior problems before. Recently he started jumping out our tiny bedroom window when we leave. He is a large dog I'm not sure how he fit. He's a Rot/Shepard/Chow mix. So I have been keeping that window shut now so he can't go out it. Crating him isn't really an option since he has broken two so far. Everything has been fine while we leave no shredded up stuff nothing. I usually stay home most of the day since I don't work, but he's never had someone home with him all day before he moved in here. Now we came home and he was outside. The neighbor said he was in her yard. Her kids did not latch there gate. He was either playing or fighting with their dog she's not sure which. Neither of the dogs are injured. I came in the house to see the aftermath of his attempts to escape various ways. He tore up the trim around the window and tore the curtain down in the bedroom after breaking open the door to get in their. When his previous escape route did not work for him I'm guessing he went for the back door which the trim and stuff is all messed up on. Then he went for the window we leave open in the living room that has a screen on it. We leave a fan in there to keep air circulating because it gets hot in here. He broke the screen out and got out that way.

I have no idea what has gotten into him. He only has done this when we leave. Do you think it could be separation anxiety? He isn't mine but since he's Bobby's I can do any training or anything he needs, but Bobby is considering putting him down which could just be because he's upset. He is now going to have to go on a tie out when we are not here. He's never hurt himself trying to get off it before but I would hate for him to try. It seems as if his behavior is escalating. Anyway I'm not sure what to do or what exactly has caused this problem. So any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My Mini eskie was like that. Barking, squeaking, scratching at the door/window. (SUCH A PAIN)

When you leave don't make a big deal about it
EX: *Time to leave* "OK BYE HONEY! MOMMY"S LEAVING NOW! BE GOOOOD! BYE PUPPY!!!!! *INSERT KISSES AND HUGS* Then you slam the door.

That creates like excitement and just charged up energy! What I do is "Guard the house!" And I just leave. I also walk my dog before I leave for school. I walk her for an hour or so, give her water and food, take her out for 5 min to potty and let her in the crate (SHE LOVES HER CRATE, she goes in there by herself all the time) Then I give her some dried, twisted tendon for her to chew on. Never had a complaint since =) Hope this helps!

So to make myself clear
1. exercise
2. food/water
3. take out to potty etc
4. Crate
5. Chewy thingy (you can use a kong and stuff it with carrots w/peanut butter)

:woof::woof::woof:

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
It sounds like seperation anxiety to me.But I really don't know what the best advice to give you would be.I've never dealt with it like that before where they are breaking crates.Maybe a kennel outside for him to stay in while your away? I wish I could help you out more

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't make a big deal with him when I leave. I just go.

He was an outside dog before he came to live here.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Maybe he's just not used to being inside, and would prefer the outdoors since that's the life he's familiar with? If he can't stay in a crate, then I would suggest an outdoor kennel as well, covered, of course. Possibly, a chain set up inside the kennel, and make sure the top is well secured, like every half inch or so, to keep him from being able to climb out and possibly hang himself. That's the best I can offer you at this point. Maybe Lisa, Holly or someone else will be able to offer some better advice.

Reactions: dixieland

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'll blame Holly. She gave Bobby the dog when he was a puppy. lol. I'm just confused because he's been fine in the house for over 4 months. I'm going to see how much Bobby is actually exercising him. He's a rather lazy dog. I did just start making him do things for his food instead of just giving it to him, but I don't think that would make him want to escape. He's pretty calm most of the time. The only time he's really perky is food time. We have construction going on by our house but it is pretty far up the road but you can here it from here. I'm trying to think of all the reasons he decided to go crazy but my brain has been pretty foggy recently.

I wanted to add. Bobby has had the dog for a long time, but he was not the one caring for him for a couple of years. He was at Bobby's moms house and the care he received there was not the best. She wanted a big dog to stay with her and for awhile actually didn't want us to take him back. Since we moved to WA from CA we left him there til we got a house he could be in with us. When we went back to visit we noticed a problem that was not taken care of in an orderly fashion. I received a call from someone and they told me his back dew claw was long and was starting to grow in his pad. So we talked to his mom and she said they would take him in and have them trimmed. Well when we went down it hadn't been fixed. So we took him and had it trimmed. Luckily it wasn't ingrown yet but it was very close. So I have been working with him during the day making him work for his food since he does know sit and down. Since then he's become a little attached. He lays by me when I am on the computer or couch. Other then that he doesn't follow me around though. He never seems overly concerned when we leave. He doesn't bark or anything. When we get home he barks but it's kinda like a barky greeting he's done for a while.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
The first thing I think of is medical. The dog is 10 years old and displaying a new behavior that could be age or medical related. When was the last time the dog was in for blood work? it is important at this age they get yearly blood work done and I would also do a thyroid test. Thyroids can be nasty if they are out of whack and can lead to behavior changes. Another possibility is some sort of dementia, When Kaos got to be about 10-11 years old he started tearing up carpet like a puppy, he was starting to lose it mentally and that happens. Tasha my 12 year old is starting to get that way too, just a little off and I know it is age related, they can start to revert to puppy hood sometimes.

So make sure it is not medical, I would even maybe go as far as x-ray of the head and chest, tumors in the brain can be devastating but this would be a warning sign.

Now it cold be he is just being a pain in the butt. What type of crates have you tried in the past and how did he get out of them?

edited to add it really does not sound like separation anxiety based on everything else you said. that is not something that happens after 10 years, I mean it can you never say never but I am thinking age related or medical still.....

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice. It doesn't seem quite like separation anxiety to me either.

Honestly I think when I took him in to get his rabies shot was the last time he even went in the vet and the first time since he was a puppy. He wasn't the best dog owner before. I'm working on him. He has made super great progress so far. I hadn't been able to convince him yet that he needs to go in yearly even if nothing looks wrong. I think this might get him to do it though.

We used wire ones. He bent the crap out of them. Any part I rewired was left alone and a new spot broken. I told him we need to get a heavier duty crate. He told me they look mean he won't put his dog in there. He's argumentive sometimes usually he ends up seeing it my way but it takes awhile.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
Do you have a secure backyard? Try putting him in a crate outside. For some reason my old fart Jarvis doesn't like to be confined... the crate on the back porch is the only place he is satisfied... We've been running into some trouble with jarvis recently because it is too hot out to put him in his outside crate... needless to say the other day, he broke out of his crate, tipped the trash over (didn't chew anything), but opened the front door, and opened the front gate to go hang out with my neighbors. Thank god the bulldogs aren't this tenacious! lmao

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
If he is not willing to get a hard side crate and fix the problem or go to the vet and do proper blood work, then re home the dog or put him to sleep.... I have no patients for dog owners who make excuses and not fix the problem because of what ever hang up they have. Yes he does have a problem that needs the vet, he is going through windows!
I know he is not your dog I am more frustrated at the BF. Don't complain if you are not willing to fix the problem.

Give him a kick in the pants! ;)

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will talk to him when he gets home from work. I will tell him your advice and let you know what he decides. I think now he might finally get it through his head. He needs to listen before problems happen. I've already kicked him in the butt. lol.

I completely understand how you feel. I'm frustrated with him on almost daily basis as far as dog care goes(luckily my dogs are mine and what I say with them goes). A lot of it was how he was raised and he does not think some things are necessary. I have been educating him slowly but surely. Luckily he has some common sense and is not a complete loss. I'm pretty sure he will be taking him to the vet. I might have to take complete control of the situation otherwise. He really isn't "mine" but I am still feeding watering and taking him potty all day until he comes home. So I am doing most of the work. So I feel I deserve a say in whether he needs to be taken to the vet even though he's technically his dog. I could use that to get past his "mine" complex.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
That's great to hear. Now I just hope he follows through with the commitment and actually does take the dog in to the vet. Please keep us posted, as I'm interested in how this turns out, and what the underlying cause of the dog's behavior is.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
My bet is the dog is going senile, I can sympathize my old cooters are going senile too! lol
If anything the dog should have blood work done because of his age and it should be done yearly anyway. Good to hear let us know what they say, and I hope ti is a good vet, you don't want to the vet to look at the dog and say.... yup he's fine without doing any tests.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think he is too. He's always been rather stuck up with other dogs. Which is why it's odd he went in the neighbors yard with her dogs in the first place much less try and play with them. He's trying to play with our dogs now too. It's cute but it's odd behavior for him. It would be like Bobby walking up to people and hugging them. I'd have to take him to the doctor too. I will just have to go with him and insist on tests. Since I haven't had any problems with the dogs up here I haven't got a chance to test out the vet much to see if he's a good one or not. I haven't heard any complaints about him yet. He does listen to what I have to say at least.

I had a vet once who didn't want to listen at all and she looked like she got mad at me. lol. That was only about spaying a dog with mange. She got all bent out of shape because she wanted to treat her with a different poison dip every week. I told her she's already being treated and she just needs to be fixed. She was swearing up and down she had a beagle with the same problem and that was the way she treated it. I asked if she had tried any other ways first and it was a no. I think you should use the least amount of poison on a dog and up it if it doesn't work but I guess we just had differing opinions. After being altered and being dipped once she grew all her fur back and was fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts