Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gosh I sure hope I put this in the right forum! :confused: This might be long because I just don't want to leave anything out!

Okay, if you read my introduction thread you will know about my pitie im speaking of. Fly is my coming 2 year old APBT that I rescued way over a year ago! She has always been a well behaved dog believe it or not... she will go pass out in her crate or go in there to get away from my friends terrible 2 year old who bites puppy tails :pup: She also gets put in there at night with the gate closed and does perfectly fine.

Well the other day at 5am I did my normal routine:

1. Let dogs out of their crates to go pottie.
2. Drink approximately 5 cups of coffee or more thinking about how much im not looking forward to going to work!
3. Fix breakfast while dogs play around in the yard for about 30 minutes.
4. Bring doggies in, feed and water them.
5. Take them on their 7am walk to the park and back.
6. Come in take a look in the bedroom and think how great it would be to climb back into bed. Shrug shoulders and get dressed for work.
7. Let dogs out one more time and then give them their Kong toys and bones, put them in their crates and head for work around 8:30.
8. At lunch time 12pm, I come home, take dogs out to go potty, put them back in their crates and leave again.
9. Then my husband comes home for his lunch break at 1pm and takes the dogs on 2nd walk of the day then puts them back up and leaves back to work.
10. I get off around 4:30pm everyday unless I must work overtime and my husband has to be at work at 6 in the morning but works 12 hour days so he gets off around 6pm.

When I got home, i opened the door and there stood Fly greeting me wagging her chubby tail. Fridge was wide open, trash was pulled out, and a little poopie on the COUCH! At first I though, okay I guess hubby didnt latch the crate right so she gave herself the opportunity to romp freely through the house. I wasn't too happy but though maybe Jake took them on a longer walk then usual and was rushing around to get back to work and just didn't latch her crate properly. Gauge was still happily in his crate. Then I looked at Fly's crate; it was ripped to shreds! She escaped out of her wire crate that she has been going in for over a year! I have to admit I was a little upset but didnt take it out on her because I figured maybe it was my fault?

So I took Fly with me to our favorite pet store to buy a new one, next day... same thing! Hubby called me from work when he went over at lunch time to walk them and said Fly was out again. Now I was getting upset so I looked on the internet and found a heavy duty strong as steel wire crate. First day, it kept her in, second day... she got out and I have no idea how! Crate was in good shape but she was out? :hammer:

I am at my wits in here! Is there such a thing as a ESCAPE PROOF dog crate? Our vet said she might have separation anxiety but we haven't changed our routine that I can think of, so why is she out of the blue starting this behavior? What do I do?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh no! I put it in the wrong forum, I knew I would do that! Sorry..

·
Registered
502 Posts
well. you have only had Gauge a week. right? So it could be that she is starting to show a little jealousy of your time with him. And I think she is probably in need of more exercise to wear her out. You could try leaving the tv or radio on so she hears human voices while you are gone;sometimes that works better than other things. I've known dogs that could escape any cage and pits are notorious escape artists. You might try covering her cage when you are not home. Good luck! I have a feeling you are going to need it with Fly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice I never thought Gauge could be the reason Fly is acting out. Her and Gauge both get walked 3 times a day and the dog park is about a mile and then they both run and play but Fly does have a lot of energy, would putting a dogging pack on with some weights in it maybe help drain her energy? What do I do for a crate? I've been letting her just stay in my room bec its clean and there is nothing she can get into but she gets on the bed and gets hair and doggie smell all over it and I don't like it much. Will she keep this up? What sorta crate should I get for her that is strong? I read on a site called Welcome to Zinger Winger Inc. about aluminum dog crates... But is $500 dollars what I want to spend?

·
Registered
502 Posts
A weight pack could help. I would see how she does with a spring pole or flirt pole too. there is a thread on here of how to make your own spring pole. They are a lot cheaper than $500 bucks. Maybe she's in the wrong size of crate too. Sometimes they have either too much room or not enough. How big is Fly? I would assume since your dogs are rescued that they have been fixed, but it's possible to have something hormonal going on too. Maybe you could just get her another crate and cover it while she is in your room and see if that will work. If it is separation anxiety you could order her a thundershirt for around $36.Or you could try giving her some of the natural meds for calming the dog.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Last time I took Fly to our vet about a month ago she weighed 52 pounds. I have the crate she got out of somehow that has a divider so you can increase or decrease the space she has. She can lay down, sit and turn around in it but can't walk anywhere. We have a spring poll in our back yard but she only plays with it when she feels like it. What is a Thundershit? And can I get separation meds for my vet?

·
Registered
618 Posts
You can def get meds from your vet. My aunt had a red heeler on like a puppy prozac.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I herd "Rescue Remedy" is pretty good, has anyone else used it or know if it helps? I called my ex vet and of course him being a cattle vet 90% of the time, he don't know much and he hates pits. I have a new vet now; because after the BSL scare in town a couple years ago my old vet told me right after I rescued Fly that he wished all pitbulls would disappear! What a butt! :mad:
Anyways, I am scared to put fly back in her crate because I don't want her ruining another crate I paid alot for! But I think im going to order that Thundershirt and see if it helps. Today, I put Fly in the bedroom while I packed some items I got from a garage sale into the house because sometimes she likes darting out the door once in awhile to chase our neighbors cats and in the 5 minutes it took me to bring stuff in; Fly scratched up the bottom of my bedroom door! I didn't even hear her doing it till I got close to the bedroom door. I need to find her a crate I know she can't get out of, this is getting crazy!
I don't know what is getting into her but I am scheduling her for the vet Tuesday to see if she has any health problems that maybe causing this acting out and if she is okay, im going to ask about any anxiety meds they may have. I'm also going to try a weight pack on her and walk them both an extra hour a day and play longer at the park!
Thanks for all the advice and anymore advice would be much appreciated!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts