Go Pitbull Forums banner

Separation anxiety slobber......

3K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  PeanutsMommy 
#1 ·
Our 7-8 mo old rescue Petey has what we assume is separation anxiety. When we leave for work we put him in his kennel with his kong and when we come home for lunch 3-4 hrs later he has completely filled the bottom of the crate with saliva. The front of the wire door, the floor directly outside, PUDDLES.....everywhere! I have no idea where he gets that much fluid. We let him out go potty, get a good long drink and play for 45 mins. or so. Put him back..come home @ 5pm......same thing over again. We keep a small fan blowing indirectly toward the kennel, A/C at comfortable temp, ect. Tried just letting him hang out in the room (master bedroom)...not good...damn near chewed a hole through the door.
He doesn't whine, scratch or act excited....just sits there and drools. When he's not in the kennel he's perfect...playful, lovable...doesn't even lick, much less drool.
We're taking him to his Vet next week to check on medication or whatever.
Any suggestions?

#5 ·
actually a little worse. He initially was ok during the morning shift. My wife would come home and he'd just be sitting there. We couldn't figure out what could be triggering the afternoon issue. We have/had two other dogs; a 4yr old Rotty and a 11yr old rescue pit that we had to enthunize last night due to cancer.

#7 ·
Sounds interesting. what is the Thunder shirt? Our Petey was rescued from a drug house by a police officer who is a very good friend of ours and is also involved with fostering and rescue. My wife is on the board of a local animal adoption/rescue organization. We thought that maybe although he appeared to have been very well taken care of he might have been removed from his momma when he was very young. He's a big boy; over 70lbs now at what the Vet indicates to be 7-8 mos old but is one of the sweetest most lovable dogs we've been around and we foster dogs (and cats) year round.

#8 ·
I have seen many dogs that have containment issues not necessarily separation anxiety. If you have a back yard one thing that can help is by giving the dogs more room to move around in. Maybe a dog run would work for you dog. Another option depending on how DA he is is leaving him out with the older dog Sometimes that is not possible and I only recommend that if the dogs get along really well. The last thing you want is a dead dog. Another option (that I would only use as a last resort) is something like diazepam. But just enough to take the edge off not enough to knock the dog out. I have seen dogs with the same issue and most times it is containment that freaks them out not you being gone. It is hard to give advice over the internet for such a difficult behavior, I would recommend that you seek a trainer in your area that can see what is going on first hand because so many other things can be apart off your problem and we cannot see it on a message board. You will have a difficult task ahead and a trainer can offer local support.

Let us know how it goes I hope you can work it out.

#10 ·
I appreciate the advice. Last week we tried just leaving him out with the other dogs. First 2 days no problems; next day when my wife came home for lunch he had chewed and torn up multiple things, tv remote, two alarm clocks, potted plants. He gets along great with our Rottweiler, is completely housebroken and has a huge fenced back yard. The problem with leaving him outside when we're not home is we have a large inground pool and we're afraid even though he loves the pool he could accidentally drown. Again I appreciate the input and hopefully will get addtional insight from my Vet.

#13 ·
Thanks again for the feedback. I will get with a local trainer that I know and get him involved before we use any medication. I did some research and I like the lavender oil idea also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.