Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pitty has recently been diagnosed with separation anxiety and it has been very hard to deal with. He has been absolutely wonderful and recently he has gotten worse. He began chewing things up and messing on the floor at night. He has always been really needy but I thought it was just how he was. If anyone has any suggestions or support please feel free to help out. Any little bit helps.
Thanks Chance's Mom
Chance4.JPG

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Oh my APBT Legend was the same exact way! Here's some suggestions for ya!
-Try and excercise him before you leave if its possible.
-Don't give him attention until after he settles down before you leave and after you come back home
-Warm oatmeal has something in it to calm down
-Stuffed kong to keep his mind busy
-Sheet/blanket over his crate
-leave the t.v/radio on so he hears voices ( I used to leave cartoons on for Legend)
-lavender oil( a drop or two on his bed/crate suppose to calm)
- This is what worked for me-Comfort Zone with D.A.P. (Plug-In for Dogs)
I started working with him in the house. Leave him in a room w/ something to do. Whether it be a stuffed bone or a Kong. The minute I heard him start scratching, whining at the door. I told him NO! or QUIET! Whenever he got quiet he was let out. I would try this a few times a day. And I tried this with the front door as well. I now can leave him out of his crate and come back to my house in one piece!:pup:
http://www.metpet.com/Reference/Dog...ety_in_dogs.htm
http://www.2ndchance.info/sepanxiety.htm
http://www.mediarelations.k-state.e...anxiety419.html

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Has this only come up recently? Have their been any changes of routine in the household lately?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
His constant needing of attention has always been a constant.....but the messing in the house and the chewing up of things has recently started just about 3 weeks now. He only messes in the house at night time when we are sleeping. I dont know. I have been kenneling him when we leave with a special toy in this kennel.....but I can't bring myself to kennel him at night.....Im a softy.....last night there were no messes *knock on wood* hopefully the good behavior at night keeps going...

No there hasn't been any changes from then normal in the household.........the only thing that did change was about 4 weeks ago I broke my foot.....other than that everything is normal.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Sorry to hear you broke your foot, ouch! Is he getting less exercise as a result or is someone else walking him?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Chavez has this problem when I put him in the crate. He hasnt been in his crate for months now. He tries to escape out of it by anymeans. When I leave for work he basically sleeps all day. What I used to do before I put him in the crate was take him out before I leave so he doesnt shit or piss in the house. I figure an empty tank the better. You just gotta have alot of stuff for him around. If all he has to choose from is your things then thats a situation gone bad already.

·
Registered
141 Posts
you gotta work with him. Try to connect with him and figure out why he does those things. Chavez basically worships the ground I walk. I come home from a long day and no matter how much I try to teach him dont jump on me he forgets. Thats something I have to be strict with but he jumps and insists he licks a part of my face. I dont really let my dog that close to my face the most my neck. but then hes good. His tail is lethal at this time as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chance loves the kennel.....while I am gone he goes in the kennel with a Kong filled with peanutbutter.....He only gets the kong when I am leaving. As soon as he sees it he runs to his kennel. So far it has been 3 nights without any messes in the house. Chance does the same thing. He jumps all over me when I come home. My vet told me to ignore him until he calms down and then give me attention and so far that is helping as well. He still follows me whereever I go(even into the bathroom). I don't know if dogs get over SA but hopefully he will.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Some dogs get over SA. Legend has FINALLY! I know he just about drove me crazy. It can be very stressful but keep working with Chance every chance you get. He'll soon realize your not going to leave him forever!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts