Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your dog whines due to separation, you will begin with teaching your dog to accept short periods of time that he or she will be left alone. Eventually you will work your way up to long periods of time. Start by getting your dog used to the area where he or she will be while you are gone. Stopping your dog's whining means teaching them to be more comfortable. After your have played with your dog for a while then try to leave for a moment. Your dog will probably begin to whine.
This period is the biggest challenge you will face in your training periods. As a loving dog owner, the sound of your dog being afraid may hurt you, but if you return to the room right away, you teach your dog that emotional blackmail works. You will have to work hard to teach yourself not to give in to your dog.
If the whining does not stop after a few minutes, which to some dog owners may feel like hours, it is then okay to go back into the room. You need to let your dog know that you are the boss, and you will return when you want to return. The continued whining probably means your dog is still not comfortable in the room, so you will need to return and play for a bit to get your dog more comfortable. After a few times of going in and out, you will start to see the whining decrease. If not, when you leave and your dog whines, give him or her a firm "No!" Then, if your dog has been quiet for a few moments feel free to shower your dog with praise. Continue this process for longer periods of time, and eventually the whining will stop.
If your dog whines due to separation, you will begin with teaching your dog to accept short periods of time that he or she will be left alone. Eventually you will work your way up to long periods of time. Start by getting your dog used to the area where he or she will be while you are gone. Stopping your dog's whining means teaching them to be more comfortable. After your have played with your dog for a while then try to leave for a moment. Your dog will probably begin to whine.
This period is the biggest challenge you will face in your training periods. As a loving dog owner, the sound of your dog being afraid may hurt you, but if you return to the room right away, you teach your dog that emotional blackmail works. You will have to work hard to teach yourself not to give in to your dog.
If the whining does not stop after a few minutes, which to some dog owners may feel like hours, it is then okay to go back into the room. You need to let your dog know that you are the boss, and you will return when you want to return. The continued whining probably means your dog is still not comfortable in the room, so you will need to return and play for a bit to get your dog more comfortable. After a few times of going in and out, you will start to see the whining decrease. If not, when you leave and your dog whines, give him or her a firm "No!" Then, if your dog has been quiet for a few moments feel free to shower your dog with praise. Continue this process for longer periods of time, and eventually the whining will stop.

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
Good post :)
I have the problem of kyza doing wees or poo when she is left inside when i am gone for 5minutes, maybe less. Shell push something out even if shes been to the loo minutes beforehand.
I went out on the town one night and the other half was home, kyza done a poop and a spew within the hour of me being gone.
i dont have problems with her when i am around lol. :)

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
most dogs that have seperation anxiety are reactive dogs and what was in the op post will not work with a reactive dog. What Miss APbt stated about her dog poooping and spewing has to do with flight. A dog will eliminate all body functions to make it lighter for running.

I have been reading alot about reactive dogs and you need to work your dog in short sessions and use lots of treats to get the behavior you are looking for. It may take weeks to months to even years with some reactive dogs but you can work through it.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a good point. It's not applicable in all cases, but a good point nonetheless. Most people who are that concerned with their dogs well being would at least try and work through it. I know I would.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I'm starting with Vendetta on being in te car and it is OKAY. What I have read is you start out by placing your dog in the car and giving them treats. You turn your back for a few seconds and turn back around praise your dogs and treat like crazy ( probably best to have very small treats or use your kibble). Then you keep doing this process. Eventually you take a step away from the car and step back giving the treat. You want in the course of a week to be-able to walk around a building come right back and treat. As you are doing this your dog should be clam no whale eyes and soft mouth if your dog is not taking the treats end the training session and he/she is over the top and is NOT learning anything. Keep the sesssions short 5 mins tops.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts