Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day my husband and I went out with some friends, which meant that Phantom had to be crated for the first time. He didn't do too badly that we could tell. He pulled a few of my husband's shirts in that were in reach, which we've been told could be boredom. But since that, he seems to be afraid of the crate. The crates are in the bedroom, and every time he gets an inkling he might get put in one he won't come when called.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
well just putting him in and leaving him for his first time is a horrible way to go about it, how scary for him. There are some threads on here about crate training, use the search at the top and type in crate training and some threads will come up that can help you. NEVER make it a bad place for him or he will learn to fear it. I would leave it open during the day , maybe put his food in there at meal times and let him see it is a relaxing place. Leave a chew toy for him when in there, him pulling the shirt in could be him needing comfort in form of something with your scents on it or could just be boredom. did he chew the shirt up at all? if not you may want to leave something like that or a blanket with your scents on it in there for him to snuggle with. just make it fun and teach him that is a safe place.

·
Inkd & Dogs gotta love it
2,074 Posts
First off don't always put the dog in to leave or bed.
Put the dog in to feed him, when you are watching your favorite show, making dinner etc. so the dog hears you home and when you are gone
Start slow by allowing the dog to basically make his own time... Bark bark bark make him stay longer, the moment he stops you allow him out for a few minutes then back in and give a treat.
My pups don't have an issue with being in there crates actually my newest Presa puppy will run straight to his crate with a toy or just to go to sleep bc I have never made it a bad place .. All my dogs are fed in the crate

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My husband did crate him the day before for a little while to see how he would do. We wanted to make sure he wouldn't make a racket and bother the neighbors or anything like that. He behaved well enough. He didn't chew on the shirts, he was just lying on them when we got home.

Does it make a difference if the crates are upstairs? He would still be separated from us, and that seems to be what upsets him. I had him in the car when I went to get gas earlier. I only went inside long enough to pay for the gas, but even that seemed to upset him.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Each pup is different. Some like to have their crate covered. My bit liked his in the middle of the room so he could see all around when he was smaller. My pup also seemed to like the tv or radio on. If not he barked. Try a bunch of things til you find what works best.

·
Inkd & Dogs gotta love it
2,074 Posts
You need to teach him now separation bc it will get harder when he/she gets older. They will learn of you keep making it a friendly place

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right now we're using it for potty training. A trainer told us to keep him in there at night and then take him out first thing in the morning. He hates it, but we haven't had any accidents since.

He doesn't even like being separated from me by a shower curtain. I'm wondering if maybe it's a shelter thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My pitt has very bad separtion anxiety towards me. I had a wire leash that can connect to a pole thing that you can spin into the ground so he can just run away. But when I leave the house and he is on the chain he see's me walking away and starts freaking out crying and barking, he also jumps like 4 or 5 feet into the air just freaking out because im not taking him with me. He tries to watch me to see where im going and will wait there for awhile to see if i come back and if i do with in like 5 minutes he will be standing there and as soon as he see's me it's like ive been gone all day long. He is very protective over me and doesn't want me to get hurt. I think that is what your pit has a problem with or maybe he just doesnt like being contained pretty much while your gone try putting food water and some good toys in the kennel when you leave. PS keep the shirts out of reach lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts