Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

I have a 32 Kg, 4yr old resque pit male by me. He is a brute, built like a brick house, with the hart of a lamb. His name is LEO. He jumps 2.4 meters at home.:rofl:

Now he is jumping out of his kennel and out of my yard, then he reaks havock in the nabourhood.:woof: I do not want to chain him, as I have 4 other Pitties ranging from 3 mnths to 2 years who run together and have no problems. I want to stop the behaviour before some one gets hurt.

Please help, all advice is apreciated [email protected]

:hammer:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Chain him up or give him away to someone who will secure him.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Sampson is right for escape artists they need to be properly secured at all times. It's the responsible thing to do. They have some heavy duty Aluminum crates that you can invest in or you can incorporate a reliable chain set up on your yard. But something needs to be done it's irresponsible not to chain or crate when your not able to supervise. And because your current setup is not working your going to have to makes some changes. You may not want to chain but it's the best most effective humane way to keep your bulldog safe when done correctly.

Zinger Deluxe 3000 Aluminum Dog Crate, Dog Crate, Dog Crates

·
Registered
147 Posts
put a roof on the kennel and keep your dog chained inside of it.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
You can also add a surrounding foot of extra fencing the leans inward to prevent jumping. Let me find you a photo :D Will be back.

Back....

This is one with barbed wire ( obviously not what you want to use) However you can use chainlink, chicken wire, wherever....

If you can I would take the time to train him to stay away from the fence. This takes a long lead and alot of patience.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
my outside kennels have roofs that are secured down might want to look into puttin one on yours . lots of good ideas in here though good luck with whatever route you take :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
It is your responsibility to make sure your dog does not get loose. If you can't fulfill that responsibility, you need to rehome the dog to someone who can. This dog needs to be crated while unsupervised. Pit bulls are known for being escape artists. We never let our pit bulls outside unsupervised. If your dog gets out and hurts someone's pet or God forbid a person, it will add to the bad reputation of these dogs that so many of us are working so hard to improve. Even if your dog isn't human aggressive, if someone who is not familiar with the breed sees him they could very likely hurt him. Please take properly containing your dog very seriously.

Is your dog fixed? Unfixed dogs are more likely to have the urge to get out and roam, especially unneutered males that pick up the scent of a female in heat.

You also mentioned that your other pit bulls run together. Do you leave them together unsupervised? If so, this is a very bad idea and could have disastrous consequences. Please read this link:
Pit Bull Rescue Central

Never Leave Your Dog Unsupervised With Other Animals
We can't emphasize this enough. If no one is around to keep an eye on them, dogs should be safely crated or in separate rooms, even if they are best friends. Dogs can fight for many reasons-status, food, toys, or rawhides-and if you're not there to manage them, things could escalate. Your dog does not need "company" when home alone, and the routine of going into a crate every time you leave can be quite comforting for your dog. It also provides you with total piece of mind. There is no chance that your dogs will fight, and they won't chew up your favorite pair of shoes!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the good idees. I was hoping for a training method to stop his behaviour, but I have now since installed a runner in his kennel. So he is not going anywhere now.

My other 4 Pitties get allong really well and have clear rules and boundaries, they are a very happy pack and I have in the 2 yrs that I have had them, not had one incedent amung them. But please don't warry, they are not left unsupervised. My wife runs the kennel, so she is there all day.

I am still a bit dissapointed that I can not teach him to change this behaviour. The current solution (although a good one) is not my first choise. I think I will keep working with him to stop this behaviour.

We had one of my females run with him yesterday while we where outside with friends and it went splended. They love each other. Maybe ,In time ,they can become life mates and he may stop this behaviour. It will not happen over night ,but I will not give up.

Appreciatively Markus

1 - 9 of 9 Posts