Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Here's the story:

Every so often I go to the kennel to walk dogs. I never really had the intention of bringing one home, until I met this girl here:

Basically, it was love at first sight. When I usually walk into the kennel, the dogs go crazy. They are all barking and jumping at their cages. I walk in front of this one's cage, and she's just sitting there calmly looking at me with a ''are you taking me?'' look on her face. I took her for a walk. Came back the next day with my girlfriend so she could meet her. The rest is history.

Now I know there's a lot of bull (no pun intended) in the media about those dogs, but I'm still a bit worried. The thing is, they found this dog roaming in the streets so they don't know what her history is. We do know that she is about 3 and has had children before. Of all the times I've seen her, she has been nothing but a playful sweetheart. I never saw ANY signs of aggression whatsoever. They say she is playful with the other dogs and seems to get along well with them. She's always happy to see people. She jumped up at me one time out of excitement, and I just said ''hey'' and she was right back down wagging her tail like the good old girl that she is. When we are walking, she tends to want to go see the other dogs, but a small correction and she ignores them. In my city pit bulls have to have a muzzle when in public, so I'm wondering if that curbs her attitude...

I have no kids or other pets. I do have nieces and nephews though, and friends who have dogs which are clearly weaker than this one here. I guess my only real worry here is - lets not kid ourselves - this is a REALLY powerful dog. If this dog gets angry and engages ''killing mode'' - there's going to be a situation.

All that being said, does anyone have any experience with this type of situation? I know none of us can predict what will happen here, but is it possible that her attitude will change suddenly once she gets comfortable in her new home? Is it possible that without the muzzle she will know that she can bite and act differently? Will she sense that I am a bit nervous at first regarding her temperament?

Looking forward to your advice guys!

thanks!
Shark

·
Rather be hunting/fishing
401 Posts
welcome to GPB!

If she has any APBT in her there ether has been or will be DA (dog aggression) HOWEVER that doesn't mean you cant be around dogs in a controlled environment. I would not take her to a dog park, ever. There is a ton of information on this site, just look around. They (APBT) are very good with children if things are done right and they are supervised, however till you have had her for some time, be cautious and try to keep kids calm around her.

Also something I do with rescue dogs, is when she has a muzzle on try to get her super excited to see how she reacts, if shes good, do it with a gentle leader or with someone else holding the lead to be there encase something goes wrong, that will give you a good idea of her temperament. Also I am sure you can find someone in your area that has the experience to do these or has the right training.

Also I didnt see any pics of your girl being posted? Did i miss them, would love to see her.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know what kind of pit she is. She is aparently a mix. Maybe you guys can help me figuring that out. I guess the picture didn't work the first time, let me try again.

Attachments

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
there is only one kind of pit bull.. the APBT (american pit bull terrier)... but yes, she looks to have pit in her..

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
The thing with these dogs is they weren't bred to be people aggressive. You may experience dog aggression at some point, but I think you're safe to have her around people. My dog is an unknown rescue too. He loves people and some dogs. I always play it safe with him. I've had him for 2 years and can fully read his body language and can tell when he is going to go off. Kids lay all over him, he loves it.

Good on ya for even considering a rescue. :)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
The place where she's at.....do they temperament test them at all before they are put up for adoption? I know some shelters will do that. If she is 3 years old and seems to have a stable temperament than you can pretty much bet she is who she is. People aggression as stated is a no no in the breed but dog aggression is very normal. Did the shelter spay her yet or do you have to fix her yourself?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
welcome to the forum , you have been given some great advice already. Id check out some of the threads, if you have specific questions you can always type it in the search box at the top and see what comes up. She is a cutie and im sure would make someone a GREAT pet as long as they are set up for this breed. Good on you for looking to make sure its a goof fit first.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there is only one kind of pit bull.. the APBT (american pit bull terrier)... but yes, she looks to have pit in her..
I understand, I thought we were talking about pit-bull ''type'' breeds (Staffordshire, American Staffordshire, and APBT). I guess there's no way of knowing which of the three she has in her...

The thing with these dogs is they weren't bred to be people aggressive. You may experience dog aggression at some point, but I think you're safe to have her around people. My dog is an unknown rescue too. He loves people and some dogs. I always play it safe with him. I've had him for 2 years and can fully read his body language and can tell when he is going to go off. Kids lay all over him, he loves it.

Good on ya for even considering a rescue. :)
That's awesome :). what do you mean by ''going off'' ? How bad does it get? haha

The place where she's at.....do they temperament test them at all before they are put up for adoption? I know some shelters will do that. If she is 3 years old and seems to have a stable temperament than you can pretty much bet she is who she is. People aggression as stated is a no no in the breed but dog aggression is very normal. Did the shelter spay her yet or do you have to fix her yourself?
I think they do some temperament tests. On the sheet that is on her cage, there is a category that says ''attitude towards other dogs''. The choices are ''gets along with other dogs, does not get along with other dogs, gets along with some dogs, and playful''. On her sheet, there is a checkmark next to ''playful''. In the notes it says ''not reccomended with children'' but I think they have to say that just because of the breed.

She is not spayed yet but I have to have her spayed within the first three months of having her, and I fully intend to. Obedience school is also mandatory where I'm from.

welcome to the forum , you have been given some great advice already. Id check out some of the threads, if you have specific questions you can always type it in the search box at the top and see what comes up. She is a cutie and im sure would make someone a GREAT pet as long as they are set up for this breed. Good on you for looking to make sure its a goof fit first.
I already run 7kms three times a week and would take her with me - it wouldnt be much more complicated. We have a house, we'd buy a cage for her, and there would be no shortage of love whatsoever!

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
He latched on to a Newfie once. He doesn't like unbalanced dogs, or dogs who like to bully others. He got freaked out by a scare crow once too. He lost his mind, hit the end of the leash, and did his impression of Cujo. He "out"s pretty quickly so we were back to walking in no time. Just make sure you work on recall, out, and watch me commands. Those will be you life savers. :)

·
Registered
901 Posts
Dog fights can be very serious. You must be prepared with a break stick and know how to use one. It can also only be used on pit bulls. Don't try to use it on any other breed. My boy; Beastley, is 3 and hasn't showed any signs of DA however my Mastiff is DA and let me tell you Beasltey (70lbs) was able to handle his own with a 120lb Mastiff. Lots of blood and injuries occurred. Be prepared to C&R if you get another dog.

I have small nieces and nephews and they get along great (3mths-10y/o). They climb all over my dogs without a issue. I introduced them to the kids slowly and he was always on a leash for several visits to get a feel of the kids and their noises/actions. I used that time to teach the kids proper manners in the presence of the dogs. The kids are never ever left alone with the dogs. When I leave the room, the dogs go with me. I always crate the dogs when the kids initially get there and settle in.

My dogs always wear muzzles when in public, it's the law in Ohio. But that is also a personal choice for all my dogs, other's know they can never say my dog bit...Thanks for thinking of adopting. Good luck.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I have had many adult dogs in my home and I have young kids. You never know till you try it. I have had dogs with no history and dogs with bad history and I have had a lot of great dogs from them. That being said I have had pedigreed dogs with good history have bad issues so its something that you will not know if will work for you until you try her on so to speak :D Every dog is going to be different.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I work at our local animal control shelter and the majority of dogs we have come in as strays. They come with no history besides the normal bad manners of animals who lived with irresponsible owners and the mental and physical scars that also come along with the "life".
If you are thinking of adopting a shelter dog, just remember to introduce them slowly to new situations, go with the thinking that it is all new. ie, don't just let a small child just run and jump on them and pull thier ears, let them meet the child get some cookies and go from there. the same with dealing with other dogs, introduce slowly and be aware of the dogs reactions.

I have met soooo many pitties at the shelter who were absolute loves and if it were not for knowing to live within my means i would have them all home :)

And don't forget adopting an adult dog may mean you have to live without the cute puppy days, remember those six new pairs of shoes you'll have to buy after they chew them up, the carpet you'll just finally replace because of the accidents, the stress of figuring out what you are going to do with the puppy when you have to go to work or want to go to dinner with your family etc...

and remember, "your dog will find you, you wont find them"

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Guys!

Thought I would check back in and give you guys an update on this situation.... long story short, a great pit got a new home, and things seem to be going amazing so far.

The level of loyalty that this dog is showing me so far has been absolutely amazing. She listens so everything I say. She's playful when it's time to be playful, and sits quietly when asked. She's been getting a whole bunch of exercise and we've been really out and about, so she's usually just a big couch potato when she's at home. I have never heard her growl or bark yet. She goes into her crate without fussing, lies down calmly without whining and goes to sleep. She doesnt pull too much on her leash, she warns me when its pee pee time, she doesnt go into the bedroom because we told her not to, and when there are people at the door, I just say ''kitchen!'' and she goes and sits in the kitchen until everyone is settled in and I tell her to come over. This almost seems to good to be true!

She's met my folks, girlfriend's folks, friends, neighbours... No fearful/agressive energy whatsoever to speak of. She's just a happy go lucky old girl who is always happy to meet new people. Next step is the kids.

Regarding other dogs, I guess I don't trust her yet. She met my friend's dog who is a mix of pit/lab/boxer, and they got along beautifully. However, she wasn't so patient with my other friend's boston terrier who was constantly jumping and biting at her face. After a few minutes of that she gave the other dog kind of a warning snap, but who can blame her right? I corrected it right away and she didn't do it again (and got my friend to get his dog out of my dog's face).

I plan to socialize her as much as I can with as many other dogs as possible. We were walking down the street yesterday and this little stray mutt came up and wanted to play. I kinda went in to panic mode and tried to get away from the little dog ASAP. This is something I need to not be doing cause I know my dog could think that I need her to protect me or something... I can't wait to know her better and really understand how she will be around other dogs.

I REALLLLLLLY hope she stays as friendly as she has been.

Oh, and one more question... I guess she's very affectionate, and I hear people talk about how you shouldnt trust your dog or let it get too close to your face because you never know what could happen... I'm just having a hard time with that. In the morning I get up a little earlier and go lie down on the couch because I know she'll be alone all day and I figure ill spend an hour or so with her before it's crate time, and she just lovvvvvves to ''spoon'' with me and put her face next to mine (I know this is all making me sound like a lovey-dovey pansy, but this dog is bringing out a side of me I didnt even know I had! haha). Would anyone advise against this?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Shoot, my kids let my dogs lick them in the faces all the time.Sleep right up in their faces too.As long as both you and her feel comfortable doing it,then I say keep doing it.
As far as the socializing with other animals goes.If she already has a problem with some dogs when they're acting certain ways towards her,then I wouldn't focus so much on the socializing as I would on how to control what her actions are when she reacts to them.You cannot change a dog from being DA but you can help manage it.
I would be more concerned with socializing with different types of people and situations more so than dogs.
Welcome to the forum!She looks like a sweetheart

·
Registered
962 Posts
Love the update! sounds like she is going to be a perfect fit for you.
Don't worry too much about her in your face, trust your instincts, if she is cuddling and loving, probably not going to try and tear your face off. Just remind others to not just shove their face into hers, which is a good idea for any dog.

i agree with socializing her with people first and work on dogs as needed. although with what you posted she will probably be okay with other dogs that are able to give her her space. no dog parks, but maybe social gatheings that have good dogs in her future.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I guess she's very affectionate, and I hear people talk about how you shouldnt trust your dog or let it get too close to your face because you never know what could happen... I'm just having a hard time with that.
I don't blame you. In general, not putting your face into strange dogs faces is good advice, but once you have become familiar with your own dog, and she with you, you will know if she is comfortable with (or even solicits) this type of affection. There may be times when the dog doesn't FEEL like it, just as there will be times when you don't want her to lick you in the face. A good relationship will help with that. You will become pretty adept at reading her, as she will you. She isn't going to rip your face off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A not so good update...

Oh dear... I got to see the pitbull side of my pitbull last night. That was some scary, unsettling stuff that made me doubt my whole decision.

Basically, we were walking, and we went through a path. Out of nowhere, a big black dog that was on the other side of the fence came to the side of the fence and started barking at us.

In under a second, full killing mode was engaged. I'm talking about hitting the end of her leash, snarling, drooling, ears back, lunging towards the other dog. There were no warnings, no pre-agressive growling or barking to correct. it was just BAM! and she wanted to kill (and I think she would have if she had the opportunity). I pulled a few times on her leash sideways and it took a good 2-3 tugs and 2-3 feet back before she snapped out of it. Then I had her sit and she was calm again. My reaction was just kinda like ''what. The f***. was THAT???''

Then we went back home and she was back to the sweetest thing in the world. I guess you guys had warned me about this. Nice with humans, agressive towards other animals. I guess I didnt know that the dog could be THAT bipolar. She is literally the best dog I have ever seen with people, and then BAM. A kujo impersonation. and BAM, back to sweetest dog in the world. I really don't know what to make of it.

We have a law in my town that pitbulls have to wear a muzzle when out in public. I hadnt been following this law, but I think that if I keep her, I will definetly start abiding to this.

Long story short, I guess I was hoping that she was going to be one of the good ones that are nice with other dogs. I know I can't blame her because it's her genetics. Hell she probably thought she was protecting me. She doesnt understand what she did wrong, she was just doing what she thinks her job is.

The disturbing thing about this is we live on a street full of new houses with young families and little dogs walking around. This was a definite reality check. I got to experience the raw power of this dog, and I know that if she got loose at some point, it wouldnt take very long for her to kill a cat or a shih-tzu. Mistakes happen very fast...

I don't know what I'm going to do. I feel stupid for adopting her. I should have known... And if I decide to let her go, I will feel really bad for her. She is an awesome dog and I hate to see her getting bounced around from home to home (or shelter).

:(

(I'm probably going to start another thread on this also)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Why would you get rid of her for being DA! ITS in her genetics to be that way. If you want a dog who loves other dogs get a lab, golden or doodle. You have to have a thick skin to own this breed or YOU will fail her. My girl doesn't care for other dogs in her face either but getting rid of her is NOT an option! I just never let my guard down and always carry a break stick ;)

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
You've been told what to expect and to be honest, a lot of breeds don't like to be barked at or growled at and respond with aggression. This is what will happen when a free roaming dog comes charging and barking and why we keep our dogs to ourselves mostly. They are a loyal breed to you and the family but never set them up to fail.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know what you guys are saying. This is why I feel stupid about the whole thing. I was told that this would happen, and now it's happening and I'm having second thoughts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts