Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody help? My baby has what the vet says is a severe flea allergy. She is a 1 year old blue nose and the sweetest thing around. I took her to a friends house this morning and I guess there were some fleas in the yard...now she is covered in welts and even her face is swollen. I gave her a flea bath and only discovered 2-3 fleas and the vet told me to give her some Benadryl (75 mg.) which I did. This is such a severe reaction that I feel horrible for her. She loves going places with me but after today, I am afraid to take her anywhere is case she gets in contact with a flea. No dog parks, no friends houses, no nothing. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
Bravecto or Comfortis can be purchased at the vets office. Duoxo shampoo will help the skin irritation and Benadryl as the vet advised until the irritation is gone. If you keep your dog on Bravecto or Comfortis and you shouldn't have this issue again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks

Poor baby...her welts grew and merged together so she was swollen all over. The Benadryl did seem to help with her comfort but not for the reaction. Today (24 hours later) she is looking better...slightly...but she is miserable.

EckoMac...you suggested Bravecto or Comfortis...my Eri is currently on Apoquel (long term for her allergies) which seemed to really help with the minor flair ups. Have you had any experience with Apoquel?

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Poor baby...her welts grew and merged together so she was swollen all over. The Benadryl did seem to help with her comfort but not for the reaction. Today (24 hours later) she is looking better...slightly...but she is miserable.

EckoMac...you suggested Bravecto or Comfortis...my Eri is currently on Apoquel (long term for her allergies) which seemed to really help with the minor flair ups. Have you had any experience with Apoquel?
I could be wrong because I'm not as familiar with the Apoquel, but I believe they are medications for two different things. The Apoquel is for the reaction while I know the Bravecto/Comfortis are flea and tick control medications. The Apoquel is to treat the reaction she is currently having while the Bravecto/Comfortis work to prevent flea/tick infestations so she would avoid fleas in the future and therefore not be faced with a severe allergic reaction to both.

~Jess

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
I could be wrong because I'm not as familiar with the Apoquel, but I believe they are medications for two different things. The Apoquel is for the reaction while I know the Bravecto/Comfortis are flea and tick control medications. The Apoquel is to treat the reaction she is currently having while the Bravecto/Comfortis work to prevent flea/tick infestations so she would avoid fleas in the future and therefore not be faced with a severe allergic reaction to both.

~Jess
You are correct Jess. Bravecto is a 3 month flea preventative and comfortis is monthly.
I prefer to avoid break outs as most vets "go to" is symptom treatment or steroids.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
I've used both at some point in time. We get lucky, we don't have problems with fleas or tics around me. My vet is of the opinion to only treat them with flea/tic control if there is a problem and doesn't like to treat them year round. We've always been lucky but hubs thinks we should start year round treatment now that the pups are getting older. My vet gave us the Bravecto for Ciara and the Comfortis for the pups when we first got them and they had some fleas. He said the pups were too young for the Bravecto at that time. Ciara goes for her annual in a few weeks and I will probably pick something up for all of them then.

I just wasn't sure about the Apoquel, if it just treated the reaction or not. I now it's used for that, just wasn't positive it wasn't used for more. I knew someone around here would know for sure!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts