Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 5-6 year old female pit rescue, Mia, who demonstrates extremely destructive behavior during thunderstorms. She begins her behavior at the first sign of bad weather, before the first raindrop even falls, and the sound of thunder sends her behavior into full blown destruction. To date, she has destroyed 3 doors, 2 windows, multiple fence damages, multiple doorknobs, mirrors, fixtures, kennels, etc. Her behavior has also caused injuries to herself along the way. The Thundercoats, pheromone collars and pheromone plug-ins have done nothing. As far as meds, we started with basic Benadryl, then Acepromazine, and now Clonazepam... None of which have helped. The only comfort she gets is if I physically sit on the floor with her throughout the entire length of the storm, and this is obviously not an option when I'm away at work. We recently switched vets, and they have recommended behavioral conditioning with artificial thunderstorm sounds, but she knows the difference and there's been no change in her behavior so far. Any advice on options we've missed would be greatly appreciated... Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
I would contact a qualified behaviourist; they should be able to offer some advice and work out a training plan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... Our new vet is the behaviorist; we made the switch due to their specialty. They switched her meds and recommended the conditioning with the thunderstorm sounds.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Our old dog who passed away recently had severe issues with thunder storms and fireworks. 4th of july was horrible for him. If you work with a behaviorist, they can help you get her crate trained. For Howard we used one of the plastic sided ones because he felt safer if it was enclosed on all sides. For her own protection and your belongings a crate can be a good idea. During most of the year the crate was just left open and howard used it as his bed and secure place. During loud times we closed it if we were unable to be with him. Howard did not chew up our stuff, but he used to cram himself in places and actually hurt himself trying to fit in places he did not fit all in. Broke all the pipes under my sink once trying to stuff himself in there and got himself completely stuck. Obviously you'll need to get one that is very strong, so she doesn't just destroy it and then move on to the next obstacle.

For fireworks he was also on Valium (diazepam). He did cope better with time. But when I say time, he was probably about 12 years old when he did ok with the exception of fireworks still being too much. He went deaf at about 15 years old and that solved the whole issue.

Howard was also a rescue that we got at about a year and half to two years old. Great dog, lots of phobias though. Behaviorist really helped with almost all, but the fireworks and thunder storms stuck around the most. If your girl only has the fears of thunderstorms hopefully you will be able to help her overcome those.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts