Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"She isnt a pitbull her head isn't big enough..." I can't stand the misconception that all apbt's are supposed to be 80-100 pounds with massive heads. Sorry, I had 3 people say a comment like that to me today and I just wanted to vent.

Reactions: Kingsgurl

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Sadly, that's what the public perception of the breed has become. I get people offering to show me how to put 30 pounds on my 50 pound 'puppy' with steroids, so he's will be 'bad ass' when he grows up........... um, yea, he's at least seven years old, if he was even few pounds heavier he'd be fat, let alone 30.
I just roll my eyes and keep walking anymore. I used to try to talk to them, but they don't want to know anything about what the breed was, they only know what they want to know. Size equals strength and power to them, so OBVIOUSLY a BIG dog is BADDER. They understand nothing of agility and mobility, nor endurance, and certainly don't get that a fat dog can not do much of anything and isn't impressive.

·
Registered
816 Posts
apparently uncropped ears also make an APBT not real lol

I just take the time to educate them and inform them subtly that they are ignorant ...with a smile

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I used to, I'm just too beat down by the overwhelming flood of it everyday. If I didn't work in the dog industry and didn't deal with it on a constant basis I'm sure I would not feel as burnt about it as I do.
I helped a couple last week pick out some supplies for their new puppy, they were so excited. The pup was super cute, a blue, as they almost all are around here now. Too young (also usual, but I bite my tongue and just try to emphasize the socialization aspect of having a puppy taken too young from it's litter and Mom, yada, yada) It niggles in the back of my mind the entire time that I KNOW these people, I've seen them before.......then, BAM, they ask me if I remember Niblet.......... I stand there stunned for a minute, because I DO remember Niblet, an adorable, tiny little brindle boy.... then I remember them, Niblet's owners........ shopping for him exactly as they are shopping for this (much larger) blue puppy now.
"Of course I remember Niblet! What an adorable, sweet outgoing puppy he was, so funny. You got him a brother?"
They tell me they had to take Niblet to the shelter because he got 'too big', they live in an apartment, you know. I stare at them for a long time, then finally just wish them luck with the new puppy, tell them his genetics indicate he will be MUCH bigger than Niblet and they should consider moving now and walk away before I lose my job.
I can educate, but I can't fix stupidity, nor can I cure indifference.... my struggle has been to discern the difference lately

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Well as an owner that is the least of the issues you may have to deal with.... Learn when to educate calmly, but also know eunuch it is time to walk away. If you let every ignorant comment get to you, you, the idiots saying them win so to speak. Just be a responsible owner and enjoy your dogs. The media, mis-labeled dogs in shelters, as well as BYBs, and even many owners who are uneducated about what they own have caused major issues for our great breed.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Sadly, that's what the public perception of the breed has become. I get people offering to show me how to put 30 pounds on my 50 pound 'puppy' with steroids, so he's will be 'bad ass' when he grows up........... um, yea, he's at least seven years old, if he was even few pounds heavier he'd be fat, let alone 30.
I just roll my eyes and keep walking anymore. I used to try to talk to them, but they don't want to know anything about what the breed was, they only know what they want to know. Size equals strength and power to them, so OBVIOUSLY a BIG dog is BADDER. They understand nothing of agility and mobility, nor endurance, and certainly don't get that a fat dog can not do much of anything and isn't impressive.
they dont understand anything about gameness. look at your average navy SEAL

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I get that once in awhile but I mostly get....IS THAT A BLUE NOSE!!! Then I get she's a small one :-/ All the thugs and idiots in my area think a pit should weigh 80 plus pounds! Oh, and then I get asked to breed her! So annoying!

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
I was going to post a thread just like this yesterday. I just went outside for a walk.

I was at the red box. Old friend of mine walks up to me, and doesnt even ask me if he can pet them. Not that theyre going to bite him, but thats how accidents happen.

dude looks at my two girls, and points one out, "That one is out of it" and "i like that male."
Then goes on to say, "My dog is huge, and just had puppies."

I hate idiots who think they know about dogs, but know close to nothing. I was really pissed off, didnt want to respond because i was with my little cousing.

I took it offensive because i work really hard to feed and treat my dogs with the best, and for some idiot to come up and ruin that in a matter of seconds pisses me off.

I like my dogs to be proportional to their body, and not with a Pep boy head.

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
What pissed me off more is that before the incident happened. I had an uncle come over for dinner, and he did the exact same thing just judge my dogs.

Thing is he knows the least bit, He doesnt even have a dog. He goes by what the news tells him.
If my dogs were evil, they would have mauled him. When he was petting them.

Rough day yesterday. I really need to come up with a good strong argument to shut some of these uneducated people

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
hey whats wrong with pep's head!! lmao just playing smiggs :)

I agree, and it totally stinks, but you cant let it ruin your day! Try the best you can to educate and know there are plenty out tehre willing to learn, and hope you dont run into the idiots all in the same day or week lol. I usually have a 3 to 1 ratio of idiots vs. those willing to learn... One day maybe it will be better if we all keep trying...

·
Registered
816 Posts
I used to, I'm just too beat down by the overwhelming flood of it everyday. If I didn't work in the dog industry and didn't deal with it on a constant basis I'm sure I would not feel as burnt about it as I do.
I helped a couple last week pick out some supplies for their new puppy, they were so excited. The pup was super cute, a blue, as they almost all are around here now. Too young (also usual, but I bite my tongue and just try to emphasize the socialization aspect of having a puppy taken too young from it's litter and Mom, yada, yada) It niggles in the back of my mind the entire time that I KNOW these people, I've seen them before.......then, BAM, they ask me if I remember Niblet.......... I stand there stunned for a minute, because I DO remember Niblet, an adorable, tiny little brindle boy.... then I remember them, Niblet's owners........ shopping for him exactly as they are shopping for this (much larger) blue puppy now.
"Of course I remember Niblet! What an adorable, sweet outgoing puppy he was, so funny. You got him a brother?"
They tell me they had to take Niblet to the shelter because he got 'too big', they live in an apartment, you know. I stare at them for a long time, then finally just wish them luck with the new puppy, tell them his genetics indicate he will be MUCH bigger than Niblet and they should consider moving now and walk away before I lose my job.
I can educate, but I can't fix stupidity, nor can I cure indifference.... my struggle has been to discern the difference lately
WOW!!!!! u must be a better person than me...because i would go off on them.... to me seriously putting your dog in a shelter is the same as taking your kid to an orphanage....actually worse!!!!

i live in los angeles....and if they passed a law that banned apbt from my city i would sell the house. there is NO other option. idk... this story just put me in a bad mood. sorry

·
Registered
816 Posts
What pissed me off more is that before the incident happened. I had an uncle come over for dinner, and he did the exact same thing just judge my dogs.

Thing is he knows the least bit, He doesnt even have a dog. He goes by what the news tells him.
If my dogs were evil, they would have mauled him. When he was petting them.

Rough day yesterday. I really need to come up with a good strong argument to shut some of these uneducated people
you must be in your 20s.... u need to speak your mind man...... i dont care who it is, if anyone comes up to me blabbing about their 3k 120lbs blue and how this and that....i tell them that is great that they love a dog so much to pay 3k .....and educate them as to the difference of breeds....and heritage and PURPOSE.... i cant judge them anymore than i would want them to judge me.....

we are all fascinated by big heads and bulging musculature.... but u know what...... talk to me about that when my dog is licking your face and u fall in love with him as does EVERYONE that meets him

nuff said ...... nothing like pur american pit bull terriers.....enjoy what breed you have and celebrate it without stepping on other peoples dreams.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts

I agree, and it totally stinks, but you cant let it ruin your day! Try the best you can to educate and know there are plenty out tehre willing to learn, and hope you dont run into the idiots all in the same day or week lol. I usually have a 3 to 1 ratio of idiots vs. those willing to learn... One day maybe it will be better if we all keep trying...
Ames...I think he means a "pep boy" head lol! Isn't pep boys that car place?

·
Registered
816 Posts

i agree!!! no one has the power to ruin your beliefs....and that is what he let them do ...... silence is the worst thing we can do....had he spoken his mind he would NOT have been in a down mood.... my thoughts

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I took it offensive because i work really hard to feed and treat my dogs with the best, and for some idiot to come up and ruin that in a matter of seconds pisses me off.

I like my dogs to be proportional to their body, and not with a Pep boy head.
I like my dogs proportionate to! My aunt has a female pit with a small looking head because she's so damn fat! I keep getting asked if I feed my dog because she is fit and has a nice tuck. I keep her toned and conditioned ;) If I let her get fat she would look like my aunts fat pit with the pin head LOL!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just happened again...lol now granted this girl has said this to me a couple times before. She just thinks its the funniest thing that her boxer is 100lbs and my 6month old puppy is only 35lbs.. :hammer:

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
comments like all those used to bug me now I just ignore them, You learn to spot the ones you can educate on the breed but there are some that just arent worth your breath. Some people are just ignorant and lack common sense there is no hope for those. Just get a thicker skin and dont let it ruin your day. You know the truth about this breed and many others do to, the ones who chose to live in a world where they cant form there own judgement and research are the ones missing out.

·
Registered
776 Posts
be happy when people dont think your dog is a apbt ... im pretty glad to shrug off some anti apbt sentiment . I dont need any1s approval !

·
Registered
12 Posts
My friend does the exact same thing, but its a chihuaha. Well i think its a chihuaha, or a piglet.
i just wanted to let you know you have one of the best looking apbt ive seen :p i like them like your pup, hopefully my "nala" turns out that way :p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts