Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if I'm the only one who gets call's from family, friends, friends of friends about dogs who need homes, primarily pit bull type dogs. It's always "Hey, do you know anyone who want's a pit bull? I/My friend/My family member has a pit bull that they are trying to rehome because they can't keep it/they're having a baby/it escapes easily ect. different excuses but generally the same.

So I have to tell them..."Sorry I don't take in rescue dogs and I have no reason to keep one who is not papered since I show...(except my edler bull) And I don't know anyone who want's an unregistered dog either! So I tell them to tell whoever... to try craigslist and make sure to put a reasonable rehoming fee on there and to screen the new owner as best as possible.

I just assume though they think I'll just be jumping with joy. Woohoo! Yes! I'll take him! Uh no... lol

·
ONE BAD MOTHAPHUCKA
3,237 Posts
Rofl!! That's funny! I just had a friend call me yesterday about some homeless guy trying to give away a "pit bull" at her job. I'm assuming it was a "what the media calls a pit bull" as Odin puts it so who knows what it really is. The same girl messages me regularly to ask me of I want something or other dog. I think with my friends I'm known as the go to person because if it needs help I usually try to give it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found taking in rescues and trying to find homes was too time consuming, stressful and cost a lot of money I could be spending on my own dogs. Yes it's sad but it's not my responsibility. I did take in two puppies last year they were probably around 4 or 5 months old. They wandered up on my porch and had stuck around my house a couple days... one day was particularly hot when they showed up on my porch it was over 100 degrees. Well that's when my heart got to me and I brought them into the cool house and gave them food and water! lol I asked around the neighborhood and found out the guy who lived down the street from me had picked them up in some other area and brought them home. When he decided they were too much work he turned them loose. I posted them in the lost and founds on craigslist for several days and had calls but turned out not to be the same dogs the owners were looking for. I ended up finding them homes, one who even held her end of the bargain and called and let me know the pup was doing really well a couple months later. That made me happy. But since then I haven't taken any in.

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
Yeah I'd rather be here to educate than try to save them all. Folks think that since I have 6 dogs, what's a few more! Pffffffft believe me, I'd prefer to have none!

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Lol!!! Yep!! I actually do help my friend's little rescue out by sometimes fostering a dog. But I totally get calls from people telling me about some "pit bull" that needs a home and just as of yesterday, a pregnant cat. Hahaha! I ain't no humane society people!

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I have been doing rescue work for over 30yrs and I have to say I am kind of tired of it. It is a lot of work and now I dont have the income I use to have so it is even harder. I have had to give up tests and competitions for Jige to take in the last few. Now I have shots do for several dogs.

I have people all the time asking me to take their dogs or help them find homes for them. I dont mind helping but I will not do all the work in finding homes. I will help the person with questions to ask and wording the ads but I will not be taking in any from friends. The last 2 little mutts we had here were living along Hwy 2 for several weeks. No body could catch them. We set out live traps. Found a home for the boy but the little girl my sister ended up keeping. She had always wanted a westie and Brooke sort of fits that bill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts