Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aroung Thanksgiving there was mention of an article here in Louisiana about a girl attacked by pit bulls. The picture included in the article did not look like a purebred to me. Here is our exchange.

Dear Suzanne,
For what it's worth, I also questioned the photographs. I agree, they
did not look like pit bulls. However, I called the Animal Shelter and
double checked with the director and he asured me that all of the dogs
were pit bulls. Also, our photographer who shot the photos told me they
were pit bulls. I don't understand why the pictures don't reflect that
image. Nonetheless, I am satisfied they are pit bulls.
Thanks for writing to me.

Sandy Davis

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2008 5:11 PM
To: Davis, Sandy
Cc: [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: precision reporting

Dear Ms. Davis,
I read your article about the "pit bull attack" of the 10 year old girl
yesterday and am terribly distressed. My heart and prayers go out to
her and her family during this time of recovery.
You were precise in your report of who the girl was, how it happened,
the injuries the girl sustained and who saved her life .However,the
precision of your article ends there The picture you included in your
article is not a "pit bull". I attached pictures of pit bulls and a pit
bull mix your your review and clarification.
We all must take responsibility for what we say, do and how we act since
we teach with our words and actions. As a journalist, you have the
privilege of educating the public on a large scale. Please check you
facts about the dog breed before you publish.
Sincerely,
Suzanne Sikes

Also for those of you who don't know, I enclosed the article. 2theadvocate.com | Powered by The Advocate and WBRZ News 2 Louisiana - Baton Rouge, LA date of the story was 11/23/08. I tried to include the picture but am unable.

Bystanders saved life of 10-year-old

Show Caption Mark Saltz/The Advocate
A male pit bull rests in his cage in the quarantine section of the East Baton Rouge Parish Animal Control Center after he was picked up for attacking a 10-year-old girl on Wednesday in the 5200 block of Fairfield Avenue.

Child badly bitten by pack of pit bulls
By SANDY DAVIS
Advocate staff writer
Published: Nov 22, 2008 - Page: 1A - UPDATED: 12:05 a.m.
Comments (0)

Print Email Save Share Del.icio.us Digg Facebook Reddit Caltanique Domino, 10, ran for her life Wednesday when a pack of pit bulls tore down Fairfields Avenue chasing her and a group of her friends.

The four dogs caught up with Caltanique, jumped on her, knocking her to the ground where they began tearing at her flesh.

"They tried to rip her body apart," said Simone Domino, Caltanique's mother. "They would have killed her if the Cox man had not come along."

Maurice Campbell of Cox Communications had just finished working on a routine power supply check on Fairfields Avenue when he drove past a group of screaming children running down the road near the 5200 block.

"As Maurice drove past them, he looked in his rearview mirror to see what was going on," said Joey Bertin, Campbell's supervisor at Cox Communications. "He saw that a pack of dogs had caught one of the little girls and had her pinned down."

Campbell turned his truck around and drove toward the attack.

"He jumped out of his truck and grabbed a cable caddy," Bertin said. A cable caddy is similar to a large spool, he said.

"As Maurice was running toward the girl, a woman, who had been sitting in a van honking her horn at the dogs, also jumped out and ran toward the child," Bertin said. "She had a cane or an umbrella or something like that. They both started beating the dogs off of the little girl."

The dogs finally left and Campbell called 911. Neither Campbell nor the woman, who has not yet been identified, were bitten by the dogs.

Campbell stayed with the child until an ambulance and police arrived at the scene, Bertin said.

Before the attack, Caltanique and a friend were walking down the 5100 block of Fairfields Avenue toward the friend's former house to check the mail for her mother, Domino said.

"Caltanique is messed up real bad from it," Domino said.

Domino said that Caltanique was bitten at least six or seven times on her head, six or seven times on her thighs and shoulders, backs of her legs, chest, lips, ear and eyelid.

"They tore off half of her ear, ripped her eyelid and split open her lips," Domino said. "She has stitches and staples to close the wounds."

Caltanique also had so many bites on her head that doctors had to shave off her hair to treat the wounds, Domino said.

"But she is strong," the mother said. "She's still smiling and talking to her friends."

Caltanique was still in Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center on Friday.

East Baton Rouge Parish Animal Control officers picked up the dogs in the 5200 block of Fairfields Avenue shortly after the attack.

The four male dogs were taken to the Animal Control Center, where they will be held for 10 days to determine whether they have rabies.

Three of the pit bulls were described as large and one was described as medium, according to an Animal Control Center incident report.

"The owner of the dogs signed them over to us," said Hilton Cole, Animal Control director. "At the end of 10 days, they will be euthanized."

The owner of the pit bulls, Pamela Lucketta, 5558 Jackson Ave., was issued citations for failing to vaccinate the dogs against rabies, failure to license the dogs, failure to restrain a vicious animal by leash or chain, and permitting an animal to be at large.

Lucketta refused to provide any information about the dogs or the attack during a telephone interview on Friday.

"I was talking to my father in heaven," she said. "It was out of my control.

"I'm not happy about what happened, but I can't change it," she added. "I'm more hurt about it than anybody can be. All I want is for the little girl to be all right."

Employees at Cox Communications said Friday they were proud of Campbell for stopping the attack.

Campbell told Bertin and others at Cox that he did not want to talk to a reporter.

"He just doesn't want any recognition for what happened," Bertin said.

"It's something I would have expected him to do," Bertin said. "He's a gentleman who cares about people. We are all very proud of him."

·
RateMyPitbull.com Admin
799 Posts
That's awesome, she actually wrote me back today also... I posted it in the news thread, but here it is again for those who didn't see it:

Hey Erik,

When I saw the photographs of the dogs, I also questioned whether they were pit bulls. However, in the official police incident report outlining the attack, the dogs were identified as pit bulls. Also, I called the Animal Shelter a second time and asked the director to tell me again what kind of dogs were involved in the attack. Again, he told me they were pit bulls. I explained they didn't look like pit bulls in the photographs, and he assured me, "They're pit bulls." In addition, I asked the photographer who shot the pictures what kind of dogs they were (he is an avid dog lover.) He also said they were pit bulls. All of the tickets issued to the owner listed the dogs as pit bulls. The owner also said they were pit bulls.
Thanks for raising the issue. I do appreciate it. But, I can't dispute all of those people. I had to write they were pit bulls.

Sandy Davis

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Based on the pictures, what kind of dog would you guys say it was?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Look out...Here is what one guy wrote to the paper!

Please get your facts straight. The dog pictured in the article "Bystanders save life of 10-year-old" is not a purebred pit bull.

It is unfair to the reputation of the breed to refer to a mixed-breed animal that resembles an American Pit Bull Terrier as a "pit bull." As a longtime owner of purebred pit bulls and a dog show handler, I am sick and tired of the media incorrectly identifying an animal as a "pit bull" just because the owner insists it is (This owner obviously did not have proof of her dogs' registration. Shame on you for assuming these dogs [or at least the one in the picture] to be purebred!) or because it bears a resemblance to that breed.

All you are doing is furthering the unfair bad reputation of an already very misunderstood and mistreated breed of dog. I am disgusted with this newspaper's portrayal of this very sad story.

Jane Cannon
assistant manager
Baton Rouge

I didnt think it looked like any pure bred anything....looks like maybe lab mix. My grandmother has two Heinze 57 (my uncle said thinks probably lab, chow, and who knows what else) that look just like that....it does not mean they are pits just because the owner said so. Apparently she is a bad/irresponsible owner or this would have never happened, no matter what breed they are

·
Registered
910 Posts
I think people should continue to write this person. It would be embarrassing to this writer to have to publish that she was wrong, and would also make other reporters research what type of dogs are really attacking instead of just saying "They said it was a pitbull, so I said it was a pitbull."

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
i'm sorry, this might come off sounding really bad, please dont take it that way, but for those of you who live in LA and have cox cable, i will say it's about damn time they are good for something, lord knows their service is horrible! or at lest up this way ...

now, about the little girl, my heart and prayers go out to her and her family and the guy/lady who stopped to help, had they not been there to act so quickly the child might not have made it. i saw the pic of the dog, and i too dont belive it to be full blood apbt. i agree it does look like a hinez 57. but i honestly think this owner should be put with FULL responsiblity of what happen, why were her dogs not contained? why have her dogs have no vet records?? those things just put up a BIG red flag...it's obvious she ISN'T a responsible owner. and if she has no papers to PROVE that the dogs are pure breed apbt's then she can say whatever she wants...and ppl will believe her simply b/c 'well, if she's the owner , she must know'...BS! we already have laws down south limiting where you can own these dogs, and i just found out that if we want to buy a home within city limits they passed a new law in our town that insurance will not carry you if you own an apbt. our friend just got dropped from theirs b/c they refused to get rid of their dog who is over 8yrs. old. i mean for goodness sake! he's an old man as far as dog yrs. go, poor thang has grey hair he's so old, never harmed their cats (which they have 4) and they have a sugar glider who they let roam around the house at times and will sleep on killers back! it's unfair...totally..
the scary part is that most of the public is uneducated when it comes to this breed, and belive and only know what the media feeds them. *shakes her head*

·
Registered
163 Posts
Doesn't anyone teach their kids that you never run from a dog. I can remember my parents telling me that when I was very little.
The breed of the dog had nothing to do with this except to grab the attention of readers. I feel very bad for the child, and yes the owner needs to be held responsible for the dogs roaming.
I wonder if the parents of this child have ever talked to her about safety around other things, such as traffic or guns, or even strangers. Its sooo easy to have kids these days, but it sure isn't easy to raise them correctly.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Doesn't anyone teach their kids that you never run from a dog. I can remember my parents telling me that when I was very little.
The breed of the dog had nothing to do with this except to grab the attention of readers. I feel very bad for the child, and yes the owner needs to be held responsible for the dogs roaming.
I wonder if the parents of this child have ever talked to her about safety around other things, such as traffic or guns, or even strangers. Its sooo easy to have kids these days, but it sure isn't easy to raise them correctly.
i'm there with ya on this one! i can't stress enough to my children safty around animals. what kinda of responsible owner would i be if i didn't realize and accept what this breed is capable of doing. and i want my kids to realize that as well. it doesn't make them bad dogs, b/c they are capable of doing these things, it just makes them ....well, them. (i guess would be how to put it) my oldest who is 8 loves dogs and is kolby's partner in crime, where you find one the other isn't but 2 steps behind. he is old enough to understand and be responsible with a dog. as for my other children i dont leave them alone unsupervised with kolby. not that i would like to think kolby would ever harm his children, but it goes back to the fact i know what he is capable of and i'm being responsible for it. just as when we are in public (which is really often, cuz he rides everywhere with us) i will not allow just anyone to pet him. if you would like to meet my dog, i welcome you with open arms b/c it gives me a chance to educated but at the same time i have to make sure it is a safe and happy meeting for everyone involved.
some kids these days have no respect for things b/c they are not taught like we were as children, times are changing and it's scary to see the teens walking around with no respcet and to know they will be running our country in years to come. maybe i'm old fashion, but i got my butt whipped when i was younger and i turned out fine, b/c i learned at an early age their are conquenses (sp?) to your actions. personally, kids these days need their butts whooped more often. jmo.

---> sorry i know that the end of this was going in a dif. direction, just had to finish my thought..gee i love ADD!! lol.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
wheres the photos of the dogs?Im good at dog identification,or confident in my opinion,i cant find a photo,also any breed that resembles a apbt or a cross there of can and will be considered pitbulls,sad but true.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts