Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are APBT typically big shedders?
I know with the Pugs, if they have a single coat, they are pretty heavy shedders compared to those with a double coat. But our Pheobe is actually made of crushed velvet! 馃榿

Administrator
Every dog is different. Geach sheds most in the summer because he lives in the AC. Winter is next to none. Ecko only shed twice a year. Short coated dogs are generally less shedding. Well, at least no undercoat blow oats.

Reactions: jttar

Registered
Adding coconut oil to the diet can help with shedding. I'm a groomer and the bully dogs that I see shedding the most are white or have a lot of white and the blues. My boy is brindle and white, so his white hairs shed year round. Rubbing him down with coconut oil during the extreme weather changes has helped. ACV rinses once a month and a good deep condition treatment with a blow out makes it so much better. He's shedding more right now because his food isn't agreeing with him again. Stress also causes more shedding.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Registered
A B complex for dogs could also help with skin flakiness and shedding. It takes a lot of experimenting to figure out what each dogs balanced diet should be.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Premium Member
in the absence of a medical condition, shedding is normal and healthy. you should not prevent shedding. but helping the process along with a good curry brush will keep your furniture cleaner and your dog's coat nicer looking.
* i don't really like furminator or other metal combs for short coats. too easy to scratch their skin.
my boy sheds 2x a year. every October and February like clockwork for 12 years.

Reactions: jttar

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, JoKealoha.
Yeah, we don't worry about shedding here, it's just hair! I do draw the line at drool though. My sister had Bassett's, nice dogs but icky lips!!馃榿
Actually, Conner hasn't started shedding yet, but I suspect the Zoom Groom will be the way to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts