Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shelter I adopted Bert from, is now adopting out their pitbull mixes for free. Of course they check people's ID's, but I just feel a little weird about it.

Where I live the shelters are packed with pitbull mixes and chihuahua's. It's really sad. I'm sure it's a result of backyard breeders, and people who don't want to care for a dog when it is no longer a puppy.

I can see both the good and the bad in free adoptions. There was no real point to this post, just discussion. ?

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
as long as the shelter does their due diligence and makes sure the homes are safe... i like free!

·
Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
as long as the shelter does their due diligence and makes sure the homes are safe... i like free!
Exactamundo, if not it turns into a one stop shop for bait dogs. More humane to euthanize them. Hopefully, everyone is well screened.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
I gotta agree with Jo and Joe here. If it helps place dogs in decent homes then I am all for it. But if not, I gotta concur it's better for the dogs to be euthanized than to be fought or abused.

~Jess

·
Super Moderator
4,579 Posts
Hopefully shelters out there screen better then the ones here. Hell here they don't even let you foster to adopt. You take it home, it's yours. It kills your cat or humps your kid, it's yours, you figure it out.
But yeah, if they're screening homes properly then free isn't a bad thing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They don't screen the homes. Basically they ask you questions about your life, other pets, and your experience with the breed. They take your information and license. All of the dogs are spayed/neutered vaccinated and microchipped.

It just makes me feel weird they just let them go that day. At the same time, it is a high kill shelter just because of the sheer number of dogs that come in, so it is great for the dogs and people who really want a dog.

I was thinking of stopping by one of their adoption events to see how it actually works. Maybe it would make me feel better.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually decided to volunteer with this shelter.

It's been really rewarding and fun to help with adoptions. It is strange the home aren't checked first, but the adopters are always encouraged to contact the shelter and are given lots of advice and information.

It is sad how many "pitbulls" come into the shelter and how many are euthanized. :( The shelter does do a good job of evaluating the dogs and only bringing out the most dog friendly ones.

I'm really glad I have decided to volunteer. Being able to love on the dogs has been a bonus too! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Heather, I think what you did, volunteering at the shelter, was possibly the best thing you did for yourself. You now know what the shelter is like, can aid those who adopted, and are more informed now than ever. Good for you for stepping up and doing this.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
outstanding!
i would cry my eyes out everyday in a place like that.

·
Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
outstanding!
i would cry my eyes out everyday in a place like that.
Jo, would that be because you feel bad for the animals or the intense smell of urine? LOL. I'm kidding of course. Both of my current dogs are rescues and the hardest part was seeing all the dogs that you know don't have a chance of being rescued. Not a job for everyone.

·
Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Heather, way to go! You have my admiration and my thanks for volunteering at the shelter. They couldn't have gotten a better volunteer. :cheers:

Joe

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks you guys! I know I can't have another dog, so that keeps me under control while I'm there. I just love on the dogs and get sniffed and dirty looks from my own when I get home. Haha

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
God bless you for volunteering and giving back. I thought the same thing, doing rescue work would help me do my part and give some love to all the poor dogs but I couldn't do it. I came home upset or in tears almost every time because I just want to take them all and provide a great home and lots of love to every single one of them. Thanks for doing what you do!!

~Jess

1 - 13 of 13 Posts