Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...

Today I was watching Animal Planet after I woke up as I always do and what was on was one of those animal cop shows. I really enjoy watching these shows mainly to see the poor animals getting good homes after whatever trauma they went through, however I always see one thing that constantly bothers me..

Whenever any of the humane societies from any of the variety of shows (Houston SPCA, Michigan Humane Society, etc.) acquire an APBT that may be DA or a dog that was seized from a fighting ring they immediately put it down without any hesitation because it could be a "danger to the public." I was just wondering what everyone thought about that? Do you all think this is fair and needs to be done? Or do you believe it is cruel and judgmental to put these poor pups down instead of trying to find a suitable home? I'm sure the shelters and Human Societies do it because of liability - they don't want to adopt out a potentially dangerous dog, but then why not give it to a rescue group who could try to find a suitable home? They did it for the Michael Vick dogs, why not these guys?

Anyway, I was just wondering about the different opinions on here..should dogs that have been fought continue to be allowed as a part of our society or do the shelters do the right thing by putting them down? Thanks for the responses!:woof:

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
they did it for micheal vicks dogs because of 1 thing MONEY , all the media hype and knowing if a shelter takes in the dogs they get money from vick which I believe he had to pay millions for the care of these dogs , the donations and support that came in along with the dogs from the general public and the media attention it brought them.
Alot of us with this breed deal with DA on a regualr basis its a trait that is known in this breed { they arent all like that but majority have some case of DA} The shelters should be looking into rehoming these dogs I dont see them as a threat to humans as long as they pass the normal temperment tests they put each adoptable dog through. However on the flip side I do see there side most shelters probably dont have the time nor resources to actually properly place this type of breed , finding a good home that is suited for a dog is one thing finding one that has someone mature and capable of dealing with DA I think is another. I wish there were more rescues that would focus on the bully breeds I think those are really needed and may be able to help a shelter in placing dogs like this, however I know the ones that exist are probably already run to the max. I wish the media and shelters would change the wording they use though when they say these dogs are a risk to people when in reality they are just DA, I think they feel they need to justify the reason for euthanizing these dogs and the public buy into that excuse.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Unfortunately there are not many people who can handle these dogs to begin with much less handle a dog who is a seasoned fighter. Especially do to the fact the so many people refuse to except that these dogs are DA to begin with.

Reactions: junkyard

·
Registered
14 Posts
i say all dogs that are over bred including pitbulls should be put down if they end up at a shelter this could only help our breed......

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
I was watching the same show yesterday, it had a lot about dog fighting on it too. I was going to post a similar topic. lol

I really hate it when they bust a dog fighting ring and even put down the PUPPIES!!! Just because "fighting is in their blood" Well it is in all of our dogs blood..

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Unfortunately there are not many people who can handle these dogs to begin with much less handle a dog who is a seasoned fighter. Especially do to the fact the so many people refuse to except that these dogs are DA to begin with.
Yes ...

i say all dogs that are over bred including pitbulls should be put down if they end up at a shelter this could only help our breed......
... and yes. Sad but true.

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
a game dog,a true tested, still on the chain game dog is the most superb animal anyone will ever be in the midst of.
what the question should be is what someone is defining the game dog you speak of as.
what I,with years of gaming dogs,raising,rolling, schooling, putting in keep, to include their dieting,and training, dropping them in the box, nursing them back to health,putting even a game dog down.
the measuring stick I use, is going to be one of practical experience. not what was gleaned or assessed through limited activity and perticipation. you can take an investigator, and they can infiltrate a dog fighting rig, they might see some stuff, they might hear some jargon and get to touch A fair to middlin dog. until they walk into a barn and shake fletchers hand, and somea the mountain boys, or the cajun fellas who brought them dark dogs,or spotted dogs, or patting Yellow joihn before his wash down.
so,what definition is being used to describe a game dog? these gangster game dogs, or the good 'ol boy dogs.that aren't enraptured in the financial or drug side of the industry that has taken A hold of the scene?
for the record, some of the best, old school game dogs on 4 legs and a chain, would need a passport to travel....back into.INTO the US.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
a game dog,a true tested, still on the chain game dog is the most superb animal anyone will ever be in the midst of.
what the question should be is what someone is defining the game dog you speak of as.
what I,with years of gaming dogs,raising,rolling, schooling, putting in keep, to include their dieting,and training, dropping them in the box, nursing them back to health,putting even a game dog down.
the measuring stick I use, is going to be one of practical experience. not what was gleaned or assessed through limited activity and perticipation. you can take an investigator, and they can infiltrate a dog fighting rig, they might see some stuff, they might hear some jargon and get to touch A fair to middlin dog. until they walk into a barn and shake fletchers hand, and somea the mountain boys, or the cajun fellas who brought them dark dogs,or spotted dogs, or patting Yellow joihn before his wash down.
so,what definition is being used to describe a game dog? these gangster game dogs, or the good 'ol boy dogs.that aren't enraptured in the financial or drug side of the industry that has taken A hold of the scene?
for the record, some of the best, old school game dogs on 4 legs and a chain, would need a passport to travel....back into.INTO the US.
I understand what you're saying, Uncle Will but once those dogs are seized it doesn't matter what quality they are. All the shelters know is that it's a "fighting dog". Whether it's a "gangster game dog" or a "true game dog" wouldn't factor in to their decision. All they know is that they have a dog that can't be homed in a normal fashion and that it's taking up space that could otherwise be occupied by a dog that would be easy to place.

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
I understand what you're saying, Uncle Will but once those dogs are seized it doesn't matter what quality they are. All the shelters know is that it's a "fighting dog". Whether it's a "gangster game dog" or a "true game dog" wouldn't factor in to their decision. All they know is that they have a dog that can't be homed in a normal fashion and that it's taking up space that could otherwise be occupied by a dog that would be easy to place.
what I was getting at is who's labeling what?
thats A stigma that appalls me.
my mom had A black stepfather and 3 black step brothers.it was nothing to us to have black friends. as small kids we had A black man for A baby sitter. the crackers in our neighborhood made sure we should suffer,yet we were better than that.
so, who were they to assess us? and what experiences did they have to validate their opinion?
are they really game dogs/ or were they dogs that some schlep doped up on roids and fought in an alley or some dirt pile?and knowing a dog has a more rooted attachment to fighting is actually better than suggesting that they "watch" the dog, or be careful that something might jump off.
it's a whole lot easier in my opinion treating my dog as DA than it would be handing someone their 17 year old poodle and trying to say,"sorry,but I never knew my dog would do that".
i get what your saying,I just feel that theirs less to worry with socially with a pit that you know is jump ready, vs. any other dog that might bite, or have issues or all the other things that go wrong with dogs. pits are A more sound dog it seems when it comes to rescues and shelters. theirs something about the psyche, part of it being genetic as to their resiience and being programmed game.
we see them with torn and battered bodies, yet with their high threshold of pain,they act, often as if nothing ever really happened.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Totally agree. But the shelters can't be 100% sure that the new owners will be the type of person that will say "OK, this dog is obviously DA so I will take the necessary precautions to keep him out of trouble" or "This dog will be a living testament to my awesome skillz as a dog rehabilitator. I will prove to everyone that a fighting dog can be retrained to play with other dogs without killing them!"

If I ran a shelter I wouldn't like to be taking that kind of risk.

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
Totally agree. But the shelters can't be 100% sure that the new owners will be the type of person that will say "OK, this dog is obviously DA so I will take the necessary precautions to keep him out of trouble" or "This dog will be a living testament to my awesome skillz as a dog rehabilitator. I will prove to everyone that a fighting dog can be retrained to play with other dogs without killing them!"

If I ran a shelter I wouldn't like to be taking that kind of risk.
theirs way to much of that going around. we've seen it here, they come, try to tell us of their 1 in literally what?several hundred thousand dog count where 1 pit didn't check into another dog.thats not A statistic, thats an idiot.
and I do believe that folks have developed over time A misconception of what a game dog is. it's not A pit that grabs another dog.
it's a pit thats scratched at 1 hr.38 min. after fighting his way off the ground, balked, not even really a turn, and he's asked to scratch, and he does. he's lookin at his handler, who knows the score, and he's sayin with his eyes and body language,"put me back in coach". and coach knows, he's holding back the flood gates of emotion.I've seen some pretty tough guys, some we've mentioned here get real emotional.gives me chills to just reminesce.

·
Registered
600 Posts
A large part of me says cull em, as a fair portion of owners will be under a false idea that they are safe dogs, then they snatch another dog on the next walk as it strolls by.

I do like the idea of it but it seems that rehoming match dogs is the flavour of the year.

·
Registered
154 Posts
They should be adopted out to very carefully screened professionals or be sent to a special sanctuary for pitbulls.

·
Super Moderator
4,625 Posts
A large portion of Vick dogs were rehomed. He was only required to pay $900,000 towards the rehab and rehome of some 50 dogs. There are several that are permanent residents of Best Friends and a couple of other rescues. Fact of the matter is, the APBT is a pit dog. They are bred to fight. All rescues should be screening homes for all pit type dogs and it should be made clear that they are most likely going to be dog aggressive. Putting down dogs from fighting rings only clears the space for the next group of dogs it doesn't relieve the rescue of any more liability then the APBT pet that was dropped of last night being put down. If they are a rescue and want to rehome pit type dogs there should be no discrimination accept HA. IMO

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
something not mentioned either, is that the greater majority of game dogs or dogs that shine to game are extremely sound dogs in the HA dept.
I would be A staunch supporter of any pit owner being scrutinized as to the handling and homestead with which the dog resides.
you got that slippity slip foo-foo thangy thang goin on,someone'll be poppin A 3 rd eye in your dogs noggin.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
When you think about the overpopulation in shelters to begin with you are going to have to realize that your not going to be able to save them all. Trying to save everything causes an issue of space and money. If these shelters would be more realistic on what they can save you would have way more funds for proper housing and care of the animals that do have a chance, rather than sitting and watching an animal waste away into nothing on a concrete floor waiting to be adopted for 2 years, only to have to get put down anyway becasue of how far they digress in that life.

Reactions: Xiahko

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't fully agree with you that fighting is in there blood.

I was watching the same show yesterday, it had a lot about dog fighting on it too. I was going to post a similar topic. lol

I really hate it when they bust a dog fighting ring and even put down the PUPPIES!!! Just because "fighting is in their blood" Well it is in all of our dogs blood..
You know I can't really go with you on that last part. Yes the AMPB has been used for fighting in the United States, parts of the UK, Australia, and basically all over the world. But it's not "aggression in the blood" that makes these dogs "So valued in the Pit". They are a very hardworking dog that are very eager to please. The same behavioral, chemical and physical conditioning these animal are put through would be successful on any other breed of dog, or type of animal with few exception. And no we humans are not exempt from that ruling. It has been proven true with rooster, and even horses in parts of South America and the US. True the blood line of these particular animals have been greatly damaged over the years but also true is that what makes them such "great" pit dogs is the same thing that allows them to heal when the fighting is done. The are hard workers and have a strong desire to please. Baring severe cases: I.E. physiological, emotional, or neurological damage any experienced trainer can re-teach a former fighting dog to adapt to a home environment. Something that is even more difficult for us human to accomplish. Treat the case like you would a similar human problem give them something to do. To focus on a new goal, a new job and they will excel at this now instead. And no do not shun their aggression channel it and master it. It's like the elephant in the room so many owners and trainers are so afraid to look at. I've seen AMPB's train in defensive tactics and take downs under better control then most people I see walking there dogs. Why because the animal knows when it can be aggressive and when it can't based on your command.
What would you do with an aggressive, frightened, or energetic child. Dope them up on sedatives, or put them down. No we work with then and give then a healthy outlet for that aggression, and energy, or we work through their fears as best we can! Or that's what we should be doing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes ...

... and yes. Sad but true.
To be honest who are you to judge life and death. Only if the dog has been found to be a danger to him/her self, other dogs, and people do we as a society to take that dogs life. Blanket labeling is an easy fix and a lot of people are afraid to put in the work or do not have the funding to finish the job at hand. If genetic problems exist it should be through selective breeding and Spaying or Neutering the animals that we find the solution. We domesticated the wolf made it a part of our family and as such are responsible for that life.

·
Registered
106 Posts
shelters should be looking into rehoming these dogs I dont see them as a threat to humans as long as they pass the normal temperment tests they put each adoptable dog through.
I agree, regardless the background, they should be given even the slightest chance at a better life. Our Humane Society does, they do a temperament test along with others, if they pass, the dog gets spayed/neutered, then put up for adoption. When they go up for adoption, there are rules that must be followed, I've copied it:

This Animal Is Considered A Restricted Breed In The City Of Edmonton. There Are Additional License Fees, Control Restrictions And Insurance Required To Own A Dog Of This Breed. If You Reside Within The City Of Edmonton You Must Arrange To Meet The Requirements Prior To Adoption. If You Reside Outside Of Edmonton There May Be Restrictions As Well. Your Local Animal Control Bylaws Will Need To Be Verified Prior To Adoption.

By adopting this breed you agree to a constable inspection in the near
future and/or follow up calls. The EHS wants to ensure these animals are
not subject to inappropriate or dangerous activities and are re-homed as companion animals.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
To be honest who are you to judge life and death. Only if the dog has been found to be a danger to him/her self, other dogs, and people do we as a society to take that dogs life. Blanket labeling is an easy fix and a lot of people are afraid to put in the work or do not have the funding to finish the job at hand. If genetic problems exist it should be through selective breeding and Spaying or Neutering the animals that we find the solution. We domesticated the wolf made it a part of our family and as such are responsible for that life.
How about you read my other posts in this same thread before you think you know me. I suspect you're the type of person I'm describing in post #10. See how much fun it is to be judged?

Reactions: American_Pit13
1 - 20 of 21 Posts