Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have a 16 week old. I was trying to get some pointers on how to train her effectively on the nipping. I've seen pups of all different breeds go through this stage, but I was told since she's nipping I shouldn't even have her since I have a child but she is still a PUPPY. Well she plays really great with my son for the most part. She is very pet friendly to all animals of all different types. Sometimes, she just playfully nips. It's nothing aggressive at all. I know I can work with her on it, but I would like some advice.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
yes its just a puppy thing I have kids and most of my dogs have gone through the puppy phase of nipping whoever told you you shouldnt have the dog is nuts and obviously hasnt had a dog before.
Ifind when my pups do the nipping I use a firm NO and raise my voice a bit they do seem to understand the change in tone and usually stop , I also over exagerate OWWWW when they do that as well even if it didnt hurt I find they learn to use there mouth alot softer even the adults now when we are playing rough if they grab my hand while playing its super soft they seem to know there limits now. everything takes consistency thats usually the hardest part i find is being consistent , I have numerous toys and bones around for pups cause they do like to chew just like babys that teething phase hurts so if he is trying to chew or nip on you remove your hand from the situation and give them something they can chew on. We always keep a bag of beef bones in the freezer from the butcher I think the cold feels good on there teeth and gums at this age so might be an idea { even if its just the nylabones you could keep those cold as well } I never use physical force with any of my dogs I find your voice and tone get a good enough reaction without getting physical. And obviously dont leave the child and dog alone together as nips can happen its easy for things to get over excited and out of control when a kid and puppy are together lol.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your post. I have been keeping toys and bones around. I make a trip for new ones about once a week. Your opinion is where I've been at on the whole training situation. So looks like I am off to a good start. My vet also told me to put her on her back and rub her gums because it feels really good to them as they are teething.

Thanks again for your post!

-Bridgit

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
:goodpost::goodpost: great advice!

my pup is 9 wks tomorrow and he is a nipper w razor sharp pirahna teef:snap:

the firm no works well, if they start to ignore the no switch it up and use another command w exaggerated tone...even if it doesnt work right away..he or she will start to pick it up. make sure u praise him or her when they do the right thing w a happy voice so they can differentiate the tones.

if they are really excited, just direct him/her to a toy so da pup uses that energy in the correct manner.

this pic was just taken now...but i never leave da seen when they are playin and im quik to step in when he crosses the line

have fun w ur pup n good luck :) n b patient and consistant

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Totally agree with angel. I would act in pain loud ow and stop playing til he sat down and calmly and waited. Then I would play again and if he did it again I would ignore him again.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cute pup. and yes, I do not leave me son unattended with Miss Sweet Kandi. I know they both can get a little carried away, but I really think that is with any dog. She has done pretty well. Just needs a little reminder everyonce in a while. She is doing pretty well with the words "No Bite", "Spit it", and "Leave it". She loves good girl and sweet baby very much lol.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ames-that sounds about right. I am really glad to know that I am on the way to the right approach :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.