Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a quick question for those of you who have shipped dogs before.

I have to return to my hometown in Minneapolis/St. Paul Minnesota for a wedding. I am currently in Los Angeles.

I would drive, but don't have 4 day for traveling available.

Right now I have a guy who can hold my dog for $280 for the week.

I'd much rather pay $300 to have my dog shipped via cargo both ways.

What airline can accommodate my situation? Unfortunately my dog is very insecure in his crate and growls, this is because hes usually out on his chain and kennel run.

Anybody have any suggestions for me?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont have boarding kennels in the area that will take apbt...

and if they do, they are asking a fortune

the $280 for the week isnt bad, I just have my dog on a strict raw diet, and I don't trust someone to keep up with it...I guess this is the problem when you move into an area with no family

I'm looking for $150-$200 each way if possible

·
Registered
349 Posts
It goes by wieght.My 20 lbs puppy was over 300 1 way. And if he is not comfortable in a crate imagine how he will feel being transported by strangers in the loud belly of a plane. I would find sitter

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its looking that I have no choice...i work at a vet, and i know sedatives arent recommended...but we do make exceptions...

damn...what a situation...

·
Banned
307 Posts
I know to ship an adult dog by air, it can run 400- 600 one way. However, if you travel with the dog, most airlines give a discount. Right around 150, I believe. That may be each way, and the dog has to be on the same flight as you.
If you really look around you could probably find a nice boarding kennel, for about 25-35 dollars a day. As long as they know to keep your dog separated form other dogs, it should be OK. Make sure you don't pay for extra walks and funtime, because that is when the "accidents" happen.
Regarding the raw, one week off it won't kill the dog. Just buy a good quality grain freed food, like Orijen. Bring it with you to the kennle and have them feed that.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I ship a lot of american airlines, delta, and alaska airlines. Just call for prices and if you shipping on way most of the time it is about $280-340 for an adult dog. Like beth said if your flying too then you should have the dog on the same flight and it can be from 100-150 each way and save you a ton of money.
One thing to note is if the dog acts too aggressive they could kick him off the flight. IMO you should look at a boarding kennel, i would not risk an aggressive or scared dog on a flight. They could chew out of the crate or break out and that would be a big issue. I am also not a fan of drugging the dog on the flight and most airlines will let you drug them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
continental told me $199 for a 35 pound dog...

midwest aid $371 each way, but i called again and got a quote at $171...

why the inconsistency? damn representatives have no idea what they are talking about

·
Registered
366 Posts
its looking that I have no choice...i work at a vet, and i know sedatives arent recommended...but we do make exceptions...

damn...what a situation...
if you work at a vet then why wouldnt you jkust ask your higherarchy if you could leave him there until you get back. if it is someone that you know personally then more then likely they will follow your diet schedual and accomidate to your dogs usual porportions. good lucjk with this, it is a goofey situation that your in.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the vet cant take the pet in unless we're paying for certain services that require hospitalization...liability reasons

and the boarding facility is a kennel...the guy who runs it is a friend of a friend...and hes got over 50 dogs, so im not sure he will have time to give my dog his special food....but looks like this is my only choice

1 - 11 of 11 Posts