Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately there are some behaviors and actions my dog has to quit because they aren't acceptable and it could escalate into something worse if I don't handle it now. I have tried crating him and ignoring him as punishment for his actions but he won't quit. I don't want to use the shock collar as personally I just don't like them. But I need these actions to be changed sooner rather then later. Any recommendations?

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
spend the money on a trainer.

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
I couldn't handle bob without his. I correct bad behavior with it but now if I put it on him, he knows its time to be serious. He's a different dog with it on. This is not something you want to just use without a trainer who will train you to use it. Some wont, but some will understand that this might be the dogs last chance to get straight. Seek the help from a trainer who has experience with this breed and e collars, you don't want some sissy positive re enforcement garbage interfering with getting it done and wasting time if its this bad. Go on the trainers recommendation for a collar, I always recommend the dogtra. Dont cheap out cuz it WILL fail you when you need it most. Mine has a vibrator in it that I can get bobs attention from 300 yards away. I can also stop him on a dime when he needs it. Don't mess around with it if your dog is soft, a trainer should evaluate before you start. You don't want to damage your dog physically or mentally

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
What are the problems? Also a crate should never be used as punishment.

·
Registered
206 Posts
What about electric fencing? I'M fencing my back yard and was wandering if using a electrical fence would be a good idea too? Have heard of ppl using both.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I have seen many dogs just run right through electric fencing and ignore the shock, and it also doesn't keep other dogs loose dogs from getting in your yard. I don't recommend them for anyone. If you have an actual fence i see no need to use it unless your dog is jumping the fence or digging. It could be used as correction in those cases, but again depending on if the dog even cares about the shock.

I am not big on using shock anything, other than as a bark collar since there are really no other was to constantly correct barking.

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
I couldn't handle bob without his. I correct bad behavior with it but now if I put it on him, he knows its time to be serious. He's a different dog with it on. This is not something you want to just use without a trainer who will train you to use it. Some wont, but some will understand that this might be the dogs last chance to get straight. Seek the help from a trainer who has experience with this breed and e collars, you don't want some sissy positive re enforcement garbage interfering with getting it done and wasting time if its this bad. Go on the trainers recommendation for a collar, I always recommend the dogtra. Dont cheap out cuz it WILL fail you when you need it most. Mine has a vibrator in it that I can get bobs attention from 300 yards away. I can also stop him on a dime when he needs it. Don't mess around with it if your dog is soft, a trainer should evaluate before you start. You don't want to damage your dog physically or mentally
:goodpost:

My response is a lil bit of a blend between what Angel and Dave said. Get a good trainer and try to correct the problems u are having by training. Have the trainer evaluate the dog, if things are not getting better then ask about the shock collar. I would never attempt to go to the store, buy one, and come straight home and use it. Like any tool u need to learn how to use it.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I have seen many dogs just run right through electric fencing and ignore the shock, and it also doesn't keep other dogs loose dogs from getting in your yard. I don't recommend them for anyone. If you have an actual fence i see no need to use it unless your dog is jumping the fence or digging. It could be used as correction in those cases, but again depending on if the dog even cares about the shock.

I am not big on using shock anything, other than as a bark collar since there are really no other was to constantly correct barking.
:goodpost: I agree with this as far as electric fences. These are not good ideas and not reliable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts