Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While getting a new pup how many of you go to the vets office to get them all their rounds of shots versus going to the feed store or buying through the mail and doing yourself at home?Are the ones you do yourself just as good as the ones done in the vets office?
And yes I know that some of the ones you get from feed stores may not be any good if they do not keep them cold.My feed store does.:)

Please explain why you do it whichever way you do.I've always done them myself at home but am now wondering if I should take to the vets office instead.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
we do all of ours ourselves :D

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
i've always sought out the ones at the feed stores or purchased from a place like petedge or jefferspet.com b/c they're less expensive & just as reliable. Also, when you do them yourself, there's no recurring office visit fees tacked on to the bill. Plus, it's not recommended to take the pups out til they've been fully vax'd, so why does taking the pup to the vet to get a round of boosters make it any less susceptible to picking anything up that could be potentially dangerous or life-threatening? Think about this.... The vets keep their clinics clean & sanitized, but if a pup/dog carrying parvo comes in, do they disinfect outside the clinic door? Probably not, so unless you carry puppy in, it'll likely pick up anything on the ground on the way from your car to the vet's lobby.

Reactions: dixieland

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I give my own make sure you get them from a reputable supplier and give them at the right intervals but I have never had a dog get parvo or anything else giving my own vaccines.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
i go to the feed store and do it myself, unless of course i need it on record

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent post Bev!That's what I always thought as well.I can't even remember the last time I went to the vets office,but didn't know if now since I've got new pups coming (yikes!lol),if I should change my way of thinking.We don't even have to go there to get the rabies done.The local animal shelter comes out here to the sticks once a year and has rabies clinics where all you have to pay is $10 for the shot.
Thanks guys for the input so far!

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Just paid 300 dollars at the vet. I might start doing them myself.

68 dollar "exam" fee's is what gets me....

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
my vet cuts me a great deal usually $10 a pup for a set of shots. HOWEVER we wanted to do the pups at home after the parvo incident we were pretty sure they caught it at the vets office { hard to prove i know but timeline adds up} But after all the sketchy people here breeding I want a vets record so people can call and double check us with him . I know we bought luna from a breeder who did them himself and there was always doubt there if they were done and done properly i dont want my buyers to wonder the same so we did end up going back to the vet for the pups. We would like to find a supplier and recently just got the vet to recommend a place so may start doing the adults ourselfs now.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just paid 300 dollars at the vet. I might start doing them myself.

68 dollar "exam" fee's is what gets me....
OMG that's crazy!was the $300 for just the "exam" and all the shots?
my vet cuts me a great deal usually $10 a pup for a set of shots. HOWEVER we wanted to do the pups at home after the parvo incident we were pretty sure they caught it at the vets office { hard to prove i know but timeline adds up} But after all the sketchy people here breeding I want a vets record so people can call and double check us with him . I know we bought luna from a breeder who did them himself and there was always doubt there if they were done and done properly i dont want my buyers to wonder the same so we did end up going back to the vet for the pups. We would like to find a supplier and recently just got the vet to recommend a place so may start doing the adults ourselfs now.
Yea that all makes sense too Angel.When we were rehoming Pretty Girls pups I had done all their shots myself.The woman that got the only pup I placed an add in the paper for questioned me doing it myself.She was like well I don't have any proof so my vet is still going to do them himself.
I will always do the adult dogs myself,just didn't know if the pups should get done by vet.I do like your way of looking at it and getting the proof though.But then I don't want to risk them catching anything.And the person I'll be getting my pup from I do trust enough to know they'll do the first round themselves.I'll probably just continue to do myself

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
OMG that's crazy!was the $300 for just the "exam" and all the shots?
Shots(was overdue for a couple) exam, blood tests and they want 68 more for a stool sample but I'm skipping it because she's fine.

Doctor praised me on how good sasha looked and how healthy she was. :clap:

It's her bday so I'm gonna get her a cake

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That still seems kinda high to me.But then again I'm very cheap!lol

Happy Birthday Sasha!Definitely get her a cake and make sure you take pics to share!:)

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
That still seems kinda high to me.But then again I'm very cheap!lol

Happy Birthday Sasha!Definitely get her a cake and make sure you take pics to share!:)
Annual Lepto vaccione 33
rabies 32
lyme 45
wate fee 4
exam 68
blood tests for some stuff including lyme was 86
and da2pp was 36..

I figured sasha hasn't gotten any in a while. Some of these are annual, wondering if I really need all these anually. I'll be doing some research for next time, this time i just paid up because like I said I hadn't taken her in a while and I was being safe.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guess I can no longer complain about how much my vet charges.lol.I think the last time I took Pretty Girl to get all her shots everything,including the "exam" fee,came to $68.If I'm remembering correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Guess I can no longer complain about how much my vet charges.lol.I think the last time I took Pretty Girl to get all her shots everything,including the "exam" fee,came to $68.If I'm remembering correctly.
hey at least the vet was a 20 minute walk so I saved gas money lmao!

oh well, she's worth the 300 and much more. I love this girl.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I know people who own kennels with multiple dogs that do there own shots but I don't hear of single or even a few dog households giving there own vaccines. I thought you had to buy the vaccines in bulk? I used to work at New England Serum co. now known as Pet Edge and we sold the majority of them in bulk back then. I would rather go to the vet and have the professionals do it. I would worry to much about over vaccinating and I can't do my own titer test at home to see if my dog even needs more shots. If you have to rush a dog to the vet how can you even prove your dog is UTD without paper work saying so?

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
I actually go to the vet for shots. Just about everything health related that may arise i would treat at home unless surgery is required but personally i'm just not comfortable with giving my dog shots myself. Plus since i don't go to the vet for hardly anything since its usually a waste of money, i do like to go and get a yearly exam with the shot(s) just for the "peace of mind".. My vet i go to is cheap and not a complete moron like some out there so getting a "second opinion" of overall health is worth it just incase i'm over seeing something going on.

Oh and by "cheap" a yearly exam + shots is $65 per dog.. I don't know what all vets charge so there may be other places cheaper but in my opinion its a fair price.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Since I have litters myself I do it at home as 3 shots each for up to 10 puppies can get pretty pricey. Now a days my puppies come from breeders with their shots, so I haven't done any shots since Bees and her siblings were born. I have a great feed store and have been doing them myself since I was 16 and have yet to have any issues from not going to the vet for it.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I know people who own kennels with multiple dogs that do there own shots but I don't hear of single or even a few dog households giving there own vaccines. I thought you had to buy the vaccines in bulk? I used to work at New England Serum co. now known as Pet Edge and we sold the majority of them in bulk back then. I would rather go to the vet and have the professionals do it. I would worry to much about over vaccinating and I can't do my own titer test at home to see if my dog even needs more shots. If you have to rush a dog to the vet how can you even prove your dog is UTD without paper work saying so?
You can buy shot's single doses or in bulk. The way you keep record is by saving the package and bottles the shot's came in there are serial number's and you can paste them to a chart for your dog and write down the date the shot was given. You don't need proof for anything but rabies as that is a requirement by law that a dog be given rabies shot's yearly at least here in Georgia unless you get the three year shot. But that is how I keep up on my dog's they have charts and I put them in a file cabinet.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts