Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say, I'm HOPING this is a case of a picky dog. But for Beau it's just down right worrisome, he's 9 years old and starting to show it a bit.

But this has me worried, he hasn't eaten in about 4 or 5 days now. He won't eat his kibble, I've checked his teeth and felt around his mouth nothing, no abscesses or lumps or any pain reaction at all. He's healthy as a horse as well. I've even gone as far as wetting his food with water to soften it up and he wouldn't touch it, I had to force it down his throat to get him to eat. I just swapped his food to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul and before that he was eating Purina Dog Chow with no issues.

He will take treats and human food when offered, he's running around playing like usual, he has no way of getting a hold of anything that would cause a blockage, he lives outside on a zipline with no toys or bones. He's drinking water like normal and he weighs about 23 pounds. He has a clean bill of health as well.

But I also know MY dog and he has NEVER turned his nose up to any food EVER, he's a chow hound.

So like I said I'm hoping this is a case of a picky dog and not something worse since he is starting to get older.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
hmmm, well you know your dog best if it was a couple of mine I wouldnt worry but i have a couple who if this happened I would be pretty concerned. With his age though it isnt a bad idea just to take him in for a check up if you havent done so already ,maybe there is something off that you missed , or like im sure you know this breed can hide pain pretty well. Has anything changed in the past few days? activity wise? diet wise? its good he is drinking just weird if he usually eats well for him to just stop like that.
Id deff get a check up done and see what the vet thinks though.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm, well you know your dog best if it was a couple of mine I wouldnt worry but i have a couple who if this happened I would be pretty concerned. With his age though it isnt a bad idea just to take him in for a check up if you havent done so already ,maybe there is something off that you missed , or like im sure you know this breed can hide pain pretty well. Has anything changed in the past few days? activity wise? diet wise? its good he is drinking just weird if he usually eats well for him to just stop like that.
Id deff get a check up done and see what the vet thinks though.
Beau is a Beagle, and he just got a clean bill of health, so I'm just stumped...maybe I found the ONE food he doesn't like?!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
OHhhh the beagle lol , ya I dont know ... Is it a new food ? would be weird if he has been eating the same thing and just turned on it lol, I guess they can get bored too.too bad your not closer I have a cupboard full of samples for other food { won them at dog shows lol } could just get a small bag of something else see if its just that.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
:( poor boy. I hope all is well with him. Please keep us updated on how he's doing (hugs)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OHhhh the beagle lol , ya I dont know ... Is it a new food ? would be weird if he has been eating the same thing and just turned on it lol, I guess they can get bored too.too bad your not closer I have a cupboard full of samples for other food { won them at dog shows lol } could just get a small bag of something else see if its just that.
It's a new food, I've only had him on it for about two weeks now, before this he was woofing down his Dog Chow, which he's been on most of his life and does amazing on.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
ahhh maybe thats just it then , change him back and see if he improves lol ,picky lil boy huh?

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
hope that's it, you said he is taking other human food offered, so is the bathroom situation ok?

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Peeing on every bush/tree/post in sight and poops are solid and small.
good to hear. sounds like he is being picky! Fingers crossed the different food works better

1 - 10 of 10 Posts