Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't let my dogs sleep in my bed with me. I just don't have the room, my husband doesn't like them on our covers "making his sheets smell like dog" and also because I have read this could lead to pack leader confusion. Soooo, I have 5 kids and they all, except one, likes to interact with the dogs and are always playing with Jax, except my son, who's 2 1/2, he just doesn't care for animals that much. He never has and doesnt pay them much attention, and most of the time screeches at them and wants them to leave him alone when they try to play with him or try to lick him etc., Jax seems to really like Jake, he follows him around and always seems concerned with him when he crys, and recently Jax started going into my sons room and getingt into bed with him and sleep right against him. My son doesn't mind, which is very shocking. He freaks if the other dogs or if the cat gets in his bed. Just today I went in and removed Jax from his bed when he tried taking a nap with Jake (my son) and Jake started patting the spot again for him to stay, he really wanted Jax there, I thought it was sweet and I left him, but I can't help to wonder if this will do more harm than good. I don't want this to.cause any issues in the future but I can't help to wonder if it could be good bonding for them, since its the only time my son seems to want him around?? Sorry for the rambling, but ur insight is greatly appriciated :)

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
I'd say if your son enjoys Jax being in bed with him then leave it be..this may even bond the two more and maybe your son will grow to love that dog.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
i see no problem w/ it.. but of course both of my dogs sleep w/ us...

·
Courage
3,052 Posts
It's good for your kids and dogs to bond but on the other hand you should never leave dogs and kids unsupervised. Kind of a judgment call. Knowing your dog and kid well should help in deciding.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I would say it's probably up to you.My 3yr old female Pretty Girl likes to sleep with my 11 yr old daughter.But instead of her being on the bed with her,I put her dog bed in the room next to my daughters bed on the floor.And she seems happy with that.
Just wondering,how old is your dog?

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I'd say that you're probably in the best position to judge for yourself on this one.

One thing to take into consideration is if your dog is restless when he's asleep. Will he roll over onto your boy? Will he stretch out and accidentally scratch him? Things like this might turn your son back off animals again and that's obviously not what you want.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm not the voice of experience concerning pits, but I think I gotta agree with Buzhunter - that it's up to you make the judgment call, knowing your dog and your child. I guess I would just be extra observant after first letting them nap together to see if there's any change in their relationship. If all seems good I would go from there.

Back when we had our RR and didn't want him sleeping in my granddaughters bed when she stayed over we found that she was sleeping on the floor with him! They were inseparable. She's almost 8 now and is just terrific with all animals. Her little sister who didn't get that kind of time in with him... Not so much.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
How old is your son and how old is the dog? Depending on the childs age I don't see a problem. I have always had dogs that sleep with me and never had "pack" issues come from it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
How old is your son and how old is the dog? Depending on the childs age I don't see a problem. I have always had dogs that sleep with me and never had "pack" issues come from it.
Me neither! In fact I think it kinda helps with the "pack" bonding. Though I've never had a dog that wanted to challenge me over space. If I did that would be a different story.

Maggie had an issue with the cats but she's now clear that the cats and the bed are MINE, not hers. She's learned to accept that if she want to sleep in my bed she's going to have to deal politely with the occasional nuzzle or stepping on from a cat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys! Thanks for all the responses. My son is 2 1/2 and my pup is 3 months. My pup isant a restless sleeper (my son is tho) and he always lays himself at the foot of the bed, placing his head on my sons feet or legs. Because he is still a puppy, I do remove him from the bed put him in his crate when I go to bed at night. My gut is to let them have their time together and let them bond, I'm just a little paranoid. Thanks again :)

·
Courage
3,052 Posts
Knowing the pup's age, I say let the kids and pup condition each other. A pup that age is impressionable and should get used to constant kid stuff. He's at a great age for it and you can tell a lot if you know what to look for.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'd say let them sleep together.
but always be close by just in case.
We've let Nismo sleep with my nephew david since we got him who was almost six,
and the girls who were about 5.
and it was always ok.
I think it even made him more gentle with them.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
China has slept in Matts bed (7yr old) off and on since he was 3, it started with me catching her in his toddler bed laying at the foot trying to be as small as possible and his leg over her head. As far as trusting the dog with your child its all in the matter of obedience my friend mold your dog from the getgo with unlimited training and he'll never fail you as an adult. China has started sleeping under Rileys crib I ran into her with the vacuum cleaner lol didnt see her because of the dust ruffle. so im sure it will start all over again when Riley is old enough to get in a bed. :D I strongly recommend it, China is close to the kids and I believe if it came down to it would prove that. :D

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
@ 3mths though I'd be afraid the pup would mess in the house. So at that young age I would crate and wait till pup is a bit older just because your son is restless and could hurt her somehow or im sure she still chews and isnt housebroken. But if you dont care about all that then I would go for it, great for bonding.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ever since Zeus could start climbing into my bed I've been waking up in the morning with him right up against me. I'd say he is extremely attached to me and follows me all over the house and outside and everywhere I go if he can and likes to walk right on my heels.

·
Registered
188 Posts
at that age, i dont think you will have to worry about heirarchy issues from it, but i would monitor is closely. Dogs can often times view themselves on the same level as children instead below them in the pack (as they should). Your pup is very young so that shouldnt be an issue at this point but if you do notive that the pup starts to challenge your child then i would stop that immediately. you can always circumvent issues by making sure that the child asserts dominance in other ways. helpind with feeding the dog and letting the dog outside and controling when the dog get affection, etc, are all things that you can do to keep things in order.

I wouldnt say a firm no, but i wouldnt say a definite yes either, with some dogs allowing them on the bed, chair, couch, etc starts an issue that could end badly for all.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
at that age, i dont think you will have to worry about heirarchy issues from it, but i would monitor is closely. Dogs can often times view themselves on the same level as children instead below them in the pack (as they should). Your pup is very young so that shouldnt be an issue at this point but if you do notive that the pup starts to challenge your child then i would stop that immediately. you can always circumvent issues by making sure that the child asserts dominance in other ways. helpind with feeding the dog and letting the dog outside and controling when the dog get affection, etc, are all things that you can do to keep things in order.

I wouldnt say a firm no, but i wouldnt say a definite yes either, with some dogs allowing them on the bed, chair, couch, etc starts an issue that could end badly for all.
:goodpost::goodpost:
Yes,make sure your dog knows his/her place in the pack

1 - 18 of 18 Posts