Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Expert advice needed - I have been wanting and looking for a couple of years for the "right" Pit Bull to come into my life. At my local Humane Society there is a 1 year old currently available for adoption.

I have met him and am considering the next step but I still feel that I am not knowledgeable enough to make the final decision yet.

Any feedback I can get tonight would be greatly appreciated. My unresolved doubts are as follows:

- Can they be introduced to a home that already has dogs?
- Can they be introduced to a home that already has cats?
- Is it true that they can never be trusted unsupervised with other dogs and cats no matter how will trained they are or how long you have had them?
- Can they co exist with horses?

I train horses and dogs so dealing with training issues is not a concern. It's whether or not I can truly feel that other animals in my home or who come unto my property (boarders and visitors animals) can always be safe.

Any feedback and education you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
The first rule of thumb with a APBT is that you can NEVER trust them NOT to fight. You have to be prepared for crate and rotate. Did you talk to the shelter workers about his personality. Granted his behavior will change once he is in his new home. It may take some time for him to totally feel at home for his true personality to come out. Do you know why he is there? How long has he been at the shelter? Mikado and Vendetta never had issues with the cats, chicken, horses, goats but My Chalice was terrible with the chickens and the cats. I couldnt trust her not to go after them. Each dog is different.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When it comes to the inevitable "fights" do they always fight as if it is a fight to the death or can it be a fight to gain order then they back down?

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
A good saying that really says it all is " they might not start the fight but they will end it" I have never seen nor heard of an APBT back down when fighting.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
break stick for the apbt and then your gonna need another person

·
Registered
776 Posts
just be prepaired and dont leave them together alone . It isnt that hard to deal with . If you see any kinda confrontation , remove them from each other from that point on. If that does happen , from that point on you just spend time with them individually .

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
its doable if you are willing to put inthe effort , if you want a dog who can just roam free everyday and play happily with the other dogs unsupervised it isnt worth the risk IMO, If your willing to work with the dog and be prepared for "IF" they dont get along then go for it. I always say prepare for the worst , if you are prepared to crate and rotate and have extra dog runs or crates /kennels then you have nothing to worry about. Crate him when you arent around to watch them playing together and at night and it should be fine like mentioned above you see something escalating remove them from eachother and go from there. My 1st experience with this breed was my uncles dog on the farm he got a pitbull X collie and he was AMAZING i loved that dog to peices to this day he still holds a big part of my heart R.I.P Axle. He was around chickens , horses , peacocks, cows ect never once had a problem with him and the other animals and livestock and he didnt come to the farm life until he was 5-6 years old he wasnt raised with livestock up until that point.MAy take some effort on your part socializing him with the horses alot of leash work and correcting , there is no guarantee he will be fine with the horses none of us can tell that right now , helps your a trainer though and can maybe work through issues if there are any worst case is he wont be able to be around them. Any way you could take him ona trial do the shelters allow that ? make sure he is a good fit or foster kinda situation for the 1st bit? id assume they would want to make sure its a good match as well wouldnt they?

Reactions: MY MIKADO

·
Premium Member
5,098 Posts
The main thing is to be prepared for the eventuality that a fight COULD happen but that doesn't mean that one will. Most petbulls live a full life without incident but as pit bull owners and advocates for the breed we need to be extra careful because one slip-up and we and our dogs are front page news.

Just being a responsible dog owner is all that is needed and sadly something that is lacking in this country (and worldwide really). Make sure you keep your dog properly contained in your yard at all times, make sure you use a leash, no dog parks, proper training (with pits is especially important).

I have a sheltie in addition to my pit bull and they get along great, same with the cats. They all live in relative harmony but that may not always be the case and I am okay with and prepared for that.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
I would get a breed that fits your life style and can be with other animals rather than trying to make an APBT fit. This is where many people go wrong as this breed is not for every ones life styles and from your questions I can only assume they are not the right breed for you.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I would get a breed that fits your life style and can be with other animals rather than trying to make an APBT fit. This is where many people go wrong as this breed is not for every ones life styles and from your questions I can only assume they are not the right breed for you.
:goodpost: As others have said, it can be done but it would require effort that not everybody would be willing to make. OP, I will give you some rep for asking the question though as far too many people just go ahead and get a dog that doesn't fit with their lifestyle and only ask questions when things go wrong. Well done for doing things the right way round.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
In my opinion you answered your own question; "...but I still feel that I am not knowledgeable enough to make the final decision yet..."

Yes its doable and many people go out blind and get one of these dogs but how many of those same people end up in the papers, news, etc about how they never expected their dog to fight? They "raised" them better? How many of those were truly prepared or even willing to undo everything they thought to better suit their dogs needs?

As honorable as your intentions i would hold off, research and ask questions. Try to find someone in your area willing to guide you (a mentor if you will) that has years of experience with the breed. Your best hope for success when it comes to the APBT is being over prepared from the start and then further learn and adjust as you go.

Even if this "Pit Bull" is actually an AmStaff, AmBully or mix (shelters frequently mislabel dogs and theres no breed as a "Pit Bull" just a generic term) you do have to drill yourself new "rules" as keeping one breed is not the same as keeping another.. Especially when we are talking a dog that was bred and perfected for the [].

So while it is "doable" i prefer seeing people preparing themselves and asking the "hard" questions first and foremost prior to getting that pup or rescuing. In the end though its your decision, whatever you chose i do hope you stick around here and learn as much as you can.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Every APBT is different as to what dogs or other animals they will or will not tolerate some will not tolerate any at all. But they are all bred from the same genetic cloth and are already hard wired genetically to fight or show aggression with other animals. Therefore the rule we live by as Mikado has already stated is never trust them not to fight. You should always expect Dog Aggression in these animals or Aggression with other animals. If there are multiple dogs living in the home or other pets you should be prepared to crate and rotate even if they are raised together it doesn't matter they can one day decide not to be friend anymore. Most of the time the fights are unexpected and can be triggered by things such as toy's and food. Regardless of the reason for the fight genetics will always prevail and for any new comer to the breed this is something that one must be prepared to deal with at any time. These dog's are truly not for everyone they are extremely hard workers and can make great family dogs but often thrive better in single dog homes or in a yard that is fully secured with proper chain set up's if you have multiple dogs. These dogs require a strong owner who understand's and accepts their history and will provide the proper care they need to be maintained and kept safe. I admire that your asking questions before hand as most people only buy these dogs because they are popular or they want to breed them or use them for things they were never bred for like guarding. The APBT being Da is a small price to pay for such a loving hard working breed but they are def not for everyone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you to everyone who took the time to help educate me in making my decision. I really wasn't aware that it was such a threat no matter how well trained they are.

I know someday I will have a Pit Bull but I realize now just isn't a good fit. I will feel more comfortable when I don't have so many other factors to consider and have more time to research.

If anyone has any good sites that might be informative I would appreciate the links.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Thank you to everyone who took the time to help educate me in making my decision. I really wasn't aware that it was such a threat no matter how well trained they are.

I know someday I will have a Pit Bull but I realize now just isn't a good fit. I will feel more comfortable when I don't have so many other factors to consider and have more time to research.

If anyone has any good sites that might be informative I would appreciate the links.
You have a really good head on your shoulders and are already that much closer to being a responsible APBT owner in the future because you took the time to come here and not only ask for help but listen to the good advice that was given to you. The fact that you chose to hold off until your circumstances change lets me know that you will one day make a great APBT owner. Please stick around even if your not currently caring for an APBT you will find this site very informative and learn a lot about this breed. So should you in the future decide to take on such a wonderful breed you will be prepared. I always say 50% of what you learn about these dogs comes from actual experience the other half comes from your fellow dog folks who know more than you do. I really appreciate members like yourself. Best of luck to you :)

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
just search the forum lots of really really good info. the best weapon against accidents is knowing what you got and how to handle a bad situation

·
Registered
901 Posts
I am a product of one of those that thought with proper training, engagement and supervision, nothing bad would happen. I was terribly wrong. Even though my APBT didn't start the incident it was evident he was willing to finish it. I am not by any means trying to scare you, just provide facts. We live a very happy life now with crate/rotate neither dog is allowed to be together. As Beastley gets older he'll be 3 in November I see signs a of dog aggression just by his mannerisms. I'm not sure if it is because of the actions when he was a pup or if it is a part of his personality. We are diligent in assuring each dog is secure and in a safe place. We use baby gates to control their movement but I'm not willing to give either dog up. How much are you willing to do to assure everyone's safety and how prepared are you/family to handle an unexpected situation that may/may not occur?

·
Good with tools
9,786 Posts
I just hope that 1 day you do get the opprtunity to experience the awesomeness of owning one of these dogs. the good SO out weighs the bad!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts