Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is the movement of the dog at a show judged at jogging speed? Does Bernie's ghetto overheated exhausted walking lol look normal? Please keep in mind he was younger in this video but I have been trying to analyze his gait, I am little nervous about his hip xrays this weekend.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Where are the show heads ??? lol

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
You need to see him from the side to judge his gate. It is done at a jog so you can see the the swift flow of motion in the dog.

Bernie waddles a bit when walking is that what you are worried on? I wouldn't be. A dog with a bad gate can be made to look good by a handler. Thats what showing is. You as a handler hiding your dogs faults. I am not saying he has a bad gate tho as I haven't seen it.

Dogs with bad hips can have fine gates and vis verusa.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to see him from the side to judge his gate. It is done at a jog so you can see the the swift flow of motion in the dog.

Bernie waddles a bit when walking is that what you are worried on? I wouldn't be. A dog with a bad gate can be made to look good by a handler. Thats what showing is. You as a handler hiding your dogs faults. I am not saying he has a bad gate tho as I haven't seen it.

Dogs with bad hips can have fine gates and vis verusa.
Thank you for your feedback :) So the waddle is common in the breed? he only does this when he is tired, when he is not and he is full of energy he is an all fours looking alive.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Its not something I would say is common but not odd. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with him. Most Show dogs ( talking UKC here) are taught how to walk, it is not just the natural way they flow.

This is a good one. Watch this first handler watching her dog. Seeing if she needs to slow down speed up what to make sure her dog is looking its best.

ADBA the judge is still looking at how the dog moves but how it actually moves. The Competitors are just naturally moving the dogs. The dogs are not trained to walk with that UKC style.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Big difference in the two styles of showing. It would be fun to show Bernie in the UKC I know the hound ears are a fault :/ Bernie's waddle is most noticiable when tired but when he is alerted and sees something he likes he goes back to normal.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Don't be worried. Are you sending them in to the OFA or Pennhip? If so your vet should still be able to tell you his/her opinion on the hips so you are not getting worried over hearing the results.

If you stay in one position and hold the camera steady and have someone do a fast walk by with him it would be easier to see his movement. In UKC it's a fast walk like right before a jog kinda thing. You don't want the dog to gallop.

My dogs walk all sorts of silly when they are tired.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't be worried. Are you sending them in to the OFA or Pennhip? If so your vet should still be able to tell you his/her opinion on the hips so you are not getting worried over hearing the results.

If you stay in one position and hold the camera steady and have someone do a fast walk by with him it would be easier to see his movement. In UKC it's a fast walk like right before a jog kinda thing. You don't want the dog to gallop.

My dogs walk all sorts of silly when they are tired.
I am sending them to the ofa the same day, I hope I can get a copy of the x-ray though because they said they are electronically sending them to the oFa from the clinic. I am also a little nervous of sedating Bernie and having him cooperate :/

I gotta video tape him the way you are talking about so I can get some pointers. Besides the hound ears he is missing two teeth on each side lol I believe they are the molars, I also know that's a fault but I am pretty sure he lost his adult teeth playing tug when he was little and I wasn't careful:(

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Unless you really care about the conformation titles I wouldn't waste the $50-$100+ per day at the show and spend the money toward him or a sport you really want to do with him..

Bernie is not a dog that will title in a weekend ( no offense Bernie ;)) So you are looking at several hundred dollars for a CH title. Bee is the only one of my dogs that COULD POSSIBLY title in a weekend but not likely so don't take offense.

If you want conformation titles thats fine, but after Showing Ace I defiantly decided my money could be much better spent on area I am interested in.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unless you really care about the conformation titles I wouldn't waste the $50-$100+ per day at the show and spend the money toward him or a sport you really want to do with him..

Bernie is not a dog that will title in a weekend ( no offense Bernie ;)) So you are looking at several hundred dollars for a CH title. Bee is the only one of my dogs that COULD POSSIBLY title in a weekend but not likely so don't take offense.

If you want conformation titles thats fine, but after Showing Ace I defiantly decided my money could be much better spent on area I am interested in.
I totally agree with you on the conformation thing, I guess I just want to do it to see how it feels and see what a judge thinks of Bernie :)

Honestly, I just want to someone that knows the breeds to meet Bernie, I have never met anyone in person that knows the breed. I guess it would be nice to have a conversation. When I meet people at the pet store they think he is a great dane, rottweiler mix or boxer. There is one guy that works at petsmart that breeds petbulls but I don't like him and he kept trying to tell that all bully breeds are the same and it's only a registry name lol I avoid an ulcer and I make sure I never run into him. Half the time I am educating the general public about the breed when they meet him but I want to meet someone that will educate me.

I think he would be great for obedience but he doesn't fetch and I know he needs to retrieve over the jump in the ukc lol wp is my only option. Maybe Schutzhund but he lacks mouth and he is a big baby so I think he is too soft for that sport plus I don't know if I live in the right place to have my dog in that sport.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Talk to Lisa and see if she knows of some Ob clubs in your area. One thing I have learned for Lisa is that sports like Agility and Ob are proving you as a handler with your dog and IMO is much more important than what a confo judge thinks. Wp as well is actually proving something of your dog.

I know you don't want to breed Bernie and thats mainly what Conformation is about.

What area are you in?

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Talk to Lisa and see if she knows of some Ob clubs in your area. One thing I have learned for Lisa is that sports like Agility and Ob are proving you as a handler with your dog and IMO is much more important than what a confo judge thinks. Wp as well is actually proving something of your dog.

I know you don't want to breed Bernie and thats mainly what Conformation is about.

What area are you in?
I am in central Jersey he went to school at top dog obedience school but they are an AKC club and I would have to neuter Bernie plus even if I trained with them for obedience I still need to squeeze the different drills for the UKC trial.

I think a working dog that proves it self is more worthy of being bred than a dog that looks good but that is just my opinion. I don't have the resources or place to even ponder that idea. People think about the pup they are going to get out of the breeding but about the other remaining dogs you know? If I could use a magic wand and get one out of a magic pot I would because a female with Bernie's temp would be a deam.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
The reason that it is so important to see the movement of your dog is because flaws that can be hidden in a stack will be seen in the movement.. It was mentioned that looking at the gate from behind him doesn't show you much, next time give us a side shot. It has to do with how his feet fall, do they cross over, or does the back foot land in the place that the front foot just left...

Hope this makes a little sense...lol

Bernie actually looks like he is almost favoring one leg, or a slight drag maybe? I take it this is when he is tired?

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He does this when he is tired though ? Does that make sense at all? When is fresh and ready to start his walk he is postured much better I will try to get a video of that. When he walks slow he swings a lot like that too though could it be that he lacks angulation or maybe having a high back?

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will I have my niece and nephew over this weekend so they will be able to help me out. my biggest fear is that he has hd but I pray is just his structure and laziness.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts