Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, Im curious if some of you veteren dog showers can offer some of us newbies some advice. What to expect? Big no, no's? What we should do in the ring? ETC. Any advice will help. :D

And not just conformation rings, but weight pulling, agility, obedience, etc.

Please. :)

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
yeesss I would like to know about this stuff too!

3,968 Posts
yes any pointers would be great!

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
things to bring
Crate
chair
water pail that clips on the side and water
leash and your collars (it's a good idea to bring extra leashes and collars just as a back up)
crate pad or blanket
Dog treats
bring your self a smaller cooler for drinks and snacks
camera
poop bags
brush (conformation)
show sheen and towel (conformation)
toys (like for agility show)
I put together a dog show bag, I use a little duffel bag that I can put all my dogs show supplies in and have it in one place.

Conformation
There is a lot that goes into showing dogs and taking a conformation class will really help. A good handler can make the difference in a placement. If I didn;t work so hard on Siren at the nationals she might not have placed. The judge was looking at 3 dogs for 3rd place. but when the judged looked at sire she was perfectly stacked to make her faults not show and make her look her best. The other dogs handlers let them move all around and when the judged looked at them they did not look the best. That really can make a big difference when a judge is looking at a few dogs for one placement. Also siren is high in the rear a bit and when I stack her I stretch her out a bit and it does not show very much. You just have to know what your dogs strengths and faults are. Just like siren will hop in the rear just a bit because she is high in the rear. So when I do my down and back when the judge is looking at her I take it slow so that does not show, if I went fast you would be able to see it really bad. Each dog you have to handle just a bit different but knowing what faults your dog has can be a big advantage because a good handler can hide faults and show off the good things about a dog.

Things you should work on before any show is getting use to peeing and pooping on leash, make sure to potty your dog before you go into the ring. Being able to say go potty and have the dog do their business even if they did not have to go will really help you avoid an accident. Also do not wear your dog out before the show put them in the crate and leave them their till about 30 min before you have to show. Then take them out to potty and do any last minute grooming.

Shantel I wished you live close I would love to help you!!! You should come visit and I will trade you malie for riot! lol

·
Banned
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OHHH!!! Thats awesome! Exactly what I was looking for! :D Thanks Lisa! Im starting to look into collars and stuff (even if I just do fun shows, I wanna do it right), and they have like, silver collars and then a goldish color collar...what color is preferible?

AND...I cant tell you how many times Ive contemplated bringing Maile on down for some trainage (more so for me, hahah). Id love to have your help! Can you just pack up and move closer? Thanks.

And deal on the Maile for Riot!!! Hahaha. <3

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Just a couple of basic rules:

~ Always be aware of where your dog is and what is around you. Do not go right up on someone else's dog and watch for those handlers who don't pay attention to where their dog is and what they are doing.

~Listen for judges directions and attend handler meetings and or walk throughs prior to the event starting if they are being offered.

~ Remember, don't be afraid to ask for help and ask questions

~ HAVE FUN and be a good sport... win and lose gracefully and with class.
Don't take things overly seriously or to heart if a judge doesn't appreciate your dog or you lose an event.

·
Banned
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Patch! Very good pointers! Ive always been weary about people just trotting on up to me with their dogs in tow, Im like...whoa. Back up! LOL.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Also make sure your dogs nails are clipped. Judges look at those nails to see if you keep your dog groomed. And I like to take baby wipes so I can make sure their ears are clean on the inside. that of course only works on cropped ears but it still nice to see clean ears if your dog shakes his head and his ear stays on top of his head. Also, be aware of what you are wearing. If you're showing a black dog, don't wear black jeans. It takes away from your dog's appearance. Make sure you have a 4 ft. leash and a buckle collar. Collar shouldn't be a wide one because it takes away the length of the neck. teach your dog to walk on your left side as that is the way you go into the ring.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Remember UKC AKC and ADBA rules are all slightly different and so is how everyone dresses.

AKC is the most formal

UKC some dress up and some don't

ADBA jeans and t-shirts/sweatshirts seem to be the norm

At any event try not to wear something with too much bright color or pattern to distract from your dog.

If your dog has white paws do not wear white shoes/sneakers

khaki colored pants work well for dark dogs and darker colors for light dogs. This way it shows them up without being distracting to the judge , but also doesn't blend you right into the dog making it easier for a judge to see the dog from across the ring :)

In ADBA it is buckle colors and 4' leads, but in UKC it isn't it is a thin but strong show collar and lead length of your choice.
I find 3' leads to be easiest for me, but that is my preference.

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
This is a great thread!
I KNOW, when I get my pup next year Shantel will bring Felony down and I'll bring my pup and you can teach us conformation :D behehehe!

Even though in the ADBA and UKC you don't have to dress up, is it better to dress nice than just like whatever? I've seen some people showing in some clothes that were just horrendous... but then again, i understand it's about the dogs and not what the handler is wearing.

What is the best way to learn what your dogs faults are and how to correct them?

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
:goodpost: I go to many shows and I think you just represent your self better if you dress up. I have gone to ADBA shows and see ppl in stuff I would wear around the house if I was cleaning, not a very good image if you ask me. It does not mean you have to wear a dress but at least look presentable. Like patch said wear clothes that do not clash with your dog/

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
We no longer show, IMO its just way to subjective, therefore I can't help you in the ring.

Now on the track, the biggest and best piece of advice I can give a newcomer is don't try to set records. Each pull is its own, watch your dog and be ready to foul them. You are not trying to win your first couple of shows, you are BUILDING a champion down the road. Most people do not start with a CH at 9 months to a year. IT takes TIME. It takes TIME WELL INVESTED!!

Do not let a dog stand on the track and look at you, do not let your dog jump off the track, DO NOT USE 60 seconds!!!! To this day I never use more than 30 seconds. If my dog has not engaged in under 30 seconds I fould him and pull him through. Remember that what you let your dog get away with you are teaching them is acceptable. I know you may want to win but its better to foul today and win tomarrow than to never win!

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
:goodpost:
About learning your faults try and corner a judge and see what they think of your dog. Be ready for an honest op and do not get upset because we all think our dogs are perfect but really.... their not! lol
You cannot correct a fault but you might be able to hide one. Again a good handler can show a dog and give it the best shot of winning. I agree conformation is really just someones opinion of your dog and politics play a big part in it, But you go out and have fun!

·
Banned
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We no longer show, IMO its just way to subjective, therefore I can't help you in the ring.

Now on the track, the biggest and best piece of advice I can give a newcomer is don't try to set records. Each pull is its own, watch your dog and be ready to foul them. You are not trying to win your first couple of shows, you are BUILDING a champion down the road. Most people do not start with a CH at 9 months to a year. IT takes TIME. It takes TIME WELL INVESTED!!

Do not let a dog stand on the track and look at you, do not let your dog jump off the track, DO NOT USE 60 seconds!!!! To this day I never use more than 30 seconds. If my dog has not engaged in under 30 seconds I fould him and pull him through. Remember that what you let your dog get away with you are teaching them is acceptable. I know you may want to win but its better to foul today and win tomarrow than to never win!
K, call me stupid (dont really though), but what does 'foul your dogs' mean??
:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
Andy what do you mean by fault the dog? Just say I want to pull him out? Or how does that work?

So depending on the judge your dog might have different faults based on their opinion?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts