Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of our pups we rehomed yesterday isnt feeling so well today ,we got a call from the frantic owner saying he has vomited a few times and it white looking her vet of course wanted her to come get a parvo test done ,we went and picked him up and took him to our vet. she also said he isnt eating or drinking ,our vet looked him over ran a test no parvo , gave him some iv fluids as he was a little dehydrated and gave us some antibiotics to give him incase its a virus or something. We have him back here with us vet advised we keep him with us atleast overnight and obviously the new owners are ok with that , they are pretty worried about there lil boy. since he has been home he has had 2 pees and drank over a cup of water ,he is pretty much sleeping Im asuming he had a rough night 1st night away from the litter.But he is not eating we offered him his normal kibble and we have some boiled chicken he sniffed the chicken but no bite. we havent seen him poop yet so cant say how that is. anyone have any ideas? maybe just a hard transition to the new home? the rest of the litter is healthy and active and eating and drinking ect I have him seperate from my dogs and litter mates. They want to pick him up tomorrow but its all on how he is doing Im not letting him go until im 100% sure he is ok. Anyone have any thoughts on what this could be ? anyone had this happen with a pup they sold or one someone bought? h left here yesterday happy and healthy playing with the litter mates just before ,oh and he is possibly drooling under his chin is very wet { thought was from drinking but when he had ahour nap he woke up and was still wet} he lost 2 lbs since we had him weighed I believe 3 days ago. he has 1st shots and deworming UTD.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
could be a reaction to the shots or worming....when did he have that done? Or, did he get into something at the new owners house??

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he had them done 3 days ago , possibly could have gotten into something they said he hadnt but im not there to know for sure.he just vomited for the 1st time here right after i posted this. so gonna have to keep him hydrated if he isnt showing improvement tonight ill be back at the vet tomorrow. gonna run to the store and get some broth and pedialyte incase we need it. they picked him up at 8pm last night and we got a call around 10;30am so this kicked in fast. really worried cause I have some litter mates here and my dogs ,keeping them apart incase but would think the otherswould be showing something if he got something here. when he wakes uphe wags his tail and looks happy just insnt very active and wont eat.....

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Reactions: angelbaby

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he did mention possibly a reaction to the shots and or rehoming stress. we figured the reaction to the shots would be more 24 hours which is why the vet said to do the shots no later then 24hours from when they leave so we can observe any side effects but he had none up until this morning , they even said he was fine all night :( thanks for the links been googling every possible scenario and always find the worst and it deff doesnt help this feeling we have so worried for this lil boy :(

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
he did mention possibly a reaction to the shots and or rehoming stress. we figured the reaction to the shots would be more 24 hours which is why the vet said to do the shots no later then 24hours from when they leave so we can observe any side effects but he had none up until this morning , they even said he was fine all night :( thanks for the links been googling every possible scenario and always find the worst and it deff doesnt help this feeling we have so worried for this lil boy :(
Prayers for the little man.........I hope it's nothing severe. They did say that vomiting and lethargy can happen after shots along with decreased appetite. You said the vet checked him for parvo and distemper right?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes the tests were all negative.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Angel, I just found on the web that deworming can cause lethargy, vommiting, diarrhea, and little to no interest in food. Could be the worming meds and maybe not the shots. Who knows...........

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good to know ill look into that right now

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you thats the link i was reading as well , sounds very much what he is going through , will give my vet a call here and see what he says or if he thinks it best to leave him overnight and see how he is in the mornin, he is drinking but very little so may start syringing him some fluids in a bit just to make sure, worse thing right nowwould be for him to be dehydrated.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Your welcome. I am always on line investigating and reading things about dogs health :) Once I read that website I thought that the symptoms he was having sounded similar.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well update he got up for about half hour and was moving around the house and alot more alert then he has been all day , drank about a cup of water again , offered broth but he refused. after talking to some people on the ee board we have stopped offering any solid food until tomorrow or 24 hours from when he last vomits, he did vomit about a tablespoon of clear water about 20 minutes ago and is sleeping again. although with that being said about withholding food if he isnt improved by morning we will be returning to vet.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ya they all got done at the same time , he is the only one with issues. the others are eating and drinking and bouncing off the walls like puppys do. kinda confusing why its just him and why..poor baby indeed.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Is it possible the puppy go into something at the new home?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
they said he didnt but since i wasnt there no ay to know, he did have a bowel movement a bit ago something we have been watching for all day , it was loose but then again all he has had today is water , but the color was right and no blood visible at all. i was worried about maybe he ate something and is clogged up? would he have been able to pass stool if he was? thinking xrays if he wasnt better tomorrow. he is up alot more this evening then he has been all day been following me around the house. he is back sleeping again though. he has been drinking on his own and large amounts but has continued to spit up maybe a table spoon of liquid after about 20 minutes from drinking. he is on antibiotics as well incase its a virus or bug , he had his 2nd dose about 20 minutes ago hopefully once they work into his system he starts perking up more.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Sounds like it could be a partial or full blockage. In a blockage, partial or full, if they drink and every time it is accompanied by vomiting it means something is blocking the water from passing further than the stomach. Since all the test came back negative I would do x-rays. Siren was 12 weeks old when I had to have a glove removed from her tummy and I have no clue how she got a hold of it.
On a normal puppy who has a good temperament going to a new home should not cause stress enough to have them stop eating like this. If it does happen then you might have to look at the temperament of the puppy. Deworming and vaccines could be a possibility but again you would expect it with in 24 hrs not a few days.
My bet is a blockage of some sort, let us know what the vet says.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts