Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I posted awhile back after my 11 month old pittie was diagnosed with mild hip dysplasia, beginning tears in both acls and more severe elbow dysplasia.She continued to become chronically lame and had to be put on pain meds daily even with all her supplements.we opted for surgery.She just turned a yr.today she had both elbows cleaned out and stem cells removed from her abdomen..She goes back fri for the stem cell injections.this has been a very expensive surgery.we have been raising funds for weeks to help, opened her up a fb page.my question has anyone experienced this? Surgery? Stem cell injections? Elbow dysplasia?

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
My Boerboel was diagnosed with L.P.C in his elbows (part of ED like L.P.A. & O.C.D.)
Already with heavy ahtrose and one elbow all the cartilage was destroyed.
Supplements doesn't work (glucosamine)
You can only slower the proces during surgery, I went to a orthopedic clinic with him and they used a Arthroscopic technic, (2005) after that he was going well.
And without painkillers he lived till 15-03-2012 a good dog live.
Again the proces is unstoppable only slow down a bit.
Also they recommend ''leash rest'' walk straight no running and jumping enz enz
I did that only in the beginning but after a few weeks I let him be a dog, just like any other dog.
No experience with stem cells, I don't know if it helps, only I know it's very expensive.
Sipho died on the age 9yrs and 9 mnths that's is for that kind of breed old.

gr Jim

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
i work with athletes. a few of which underwent stem cell therapy to regenerate knee cartilage. same doc. same procedure. same time. one of them had very positive results. the other not so much. i think a key to successful stem cell therapy is REST during recovery. and allowing the tissue to regenerate as much as possible before resuming normal activity.
neither of the athletes will continue their careers. but at least they won't be using walking canes at 40 years old.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sierra

Thank you for the replys.we are going to do our best in keeping her down.we know there is no cure just want a decent quality of life.i definatly want her to be a dog ..I wouldn't trade her for anything.this has been extremely hard on her us emotionally and financially.She will get six stem cell injections tomorrow.we got the go ahead to inject her acls too.it won't heal them but can help with inflammation.which would be amazing

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts