Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I was a teen, people were always pawning their dogs off on me..I guess they knew I was a big dog lover! I always found them wonderful homes. Well, several years later and on the opposite side of the country people are still doing it! Anyway a few days ago a guy my husband works with said his neighbor was going to bring his pit to the pound, because he could not afford him any more... Aaaaaand I could not say no so...here is "Rocky" a 9 month old 31 lb skinny little boy....and he has an underbite!

Check out his super shallow chest...and his back legs, definitely no show stopper, but cute just the same :)

Kiss my wet blue nose!!! :love:

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
awww poor lil guy. needs a good food, a few more pounds (at least) and lotsa love. at least he found u ;) now hes got a good shot at all of these.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha yes, the guy was feeding him Ol'roy(yuck) and now he is eating Taste of the Wild... :) I will find him a great home...he deserves it!

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
YAY good for you, he looks very sweet, love his eyes and ears :)

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
That’s really nice of you to take that cute little guy in and work on getting him a forever home. He looks very slight, but health and a good weight. I see no hip bones or upper spine showing. Looking at the photo I see no signs of malnutrition. He’s just a wiry little guy. Glad to hear you’re moving him off of Ol'roy and on to a much better kibble. I hope he gets a great permanent home soon.

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
Haha yes, the guy was feeding him Ol'roy(yuck) and now he is eating Taste of the Wild... :) I will find him a great home...he deserves it!
yukky. not sure if there is a worse food than that lol. but yeah i love TotW

That's really nice of you to take that cute little guy in and work on getting him a forever home. He looks very slight, but health and a good weight. I see no hip bones or upper spine showing. Looking at the photo I see no signs of malnutrition. He's just a wiry little guy. Glad to hear you're moving him off of Ol'roy and on to a much better kibble. I hope he gets a great permanent home soon.
i agree. now that u mention it, he's lil but not terrible boney. good eye :thumbsup:

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like lean dogs too but I'll attach some others that are better at showing his skinniness..I posted the best angles of him...his hip bones are showing...

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
I don't like to see much bone on my dogs unless it's accompanied by a lot of muscle.

That sink in at his shoulder blades really bugs me, and that sink line between his back and ribs.

So, I agree that he's a bit under weight. Get him on some good food, and start some muscle exercises. (So spring pole/Flirt pole rather than biking, but more spring than flirt. A good game of tug, etc.)

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes exactly!!! And he has pretty much nooooooo muscle.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Again, I’m really glad you have the dog and want to rehomed it. But, I’m sorry just don’t see it the weight issue. One of the first signs of an underweight dog are hip bone pointing out. I don’t see hip bones better yet ribs in the one side shot. I just see a wiry little mixed breed dog that has an opportunity to go to a home that can care for it. You’re acting as though you're going to get bonus points for placing an underweight dog. Look, like I said earlier I’m glad you took the little cutie in and you’re changing him to better kibble. I hope you place him in a forever home soon. I just don’t see a malnourished dog.

·
Gotta Love Them Red Dogs!
487 Posts

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha I am in no way wanting any sort of bonus points for him being thin...lol! just simply feeling bad for the little the little mutt dude that is all.

Sucker For a Rednose, I actually wanted to tag you in this post(if that was even possible) cuz I know your boy has an underbite:woof: which is adorable! I never said anything that would make it sound like I thought his underbite was a big deal...in fact I think it's adorable! That is what I was meaning when I mentioned it :)

Anyway here are some more..maybe he is not too thin..it just seems that way in person at least.

Ignore the black/white cow girl - her intro is coming soon!

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe he really is just a scrawny little dog but something about the way he looks just looks off to me in the thinness department :) again, I am a huge advocate for nice lean doggies.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Just because hips aren't showing doesn't mean the dog isn't underweight, every dog is different. For example Dakota can be really heavy and you can still see his hips. But Alice can be underweight and you can't see her spine or hips.

Also, keeping in mind there's a huge difference between malnourished/neglected, and a bit underweight. One of the few competent vets I know says she'd rather see a dog a few pounds underweight than fat.

Editing again since I'm forgetful today. The main thing that bugs me is the lack of muscle. If he got the proper nutrients and care his body should be holding more muscle mass than that, theoretically.

Is it just the pictures or are his shoulders really sunken in? Or is the muscle popping up making it look like that?

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree, he is in no way malnourished or anything, just underweight-looking. Yes, he does have the dip behind his shoulders. We just bought a house so pretty soon I will be putting up a spring pole :)

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He found a home!!!!! :)

·
Super Moderator
4,616 Posts
AWESOME!! Great job helping that little guy out. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
What a handsome boy. :) Especially when he puts some weight on! But still, none the less, a cutie.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts