Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

We got our new addition to the family about a month ago now. She's an adorable little red nose and has fit right in with our family since day one (except for one person).

Ari (our pitty), will cuddle with myself and bf, but avoids my 12 year old daughter like the plague. Ari is generally fairly skittish at loud noises, and people running around but otherwise we have had no issues with her. When it comes to my daughter, she is terrified and we are trying to figure out why and how we can fix this. My daughter knows she is to leave Ari alone and let the dog come up to her on her own terms. Daughter is very good about not pushing things, does not yell and is not mean to her at all...so we aren't sure what it is about her that bothers Ari to this extreme.

Ari's fear goes to the point where she escapes the yard if my daughter tries to call her into the house. She went so far as to jump over the back gate this morning so she wouldn't have to be around my kid....really frustrating but my main concern is this could turn into bigger problems.

Any help would really be appreciated on this one, we'd like her to be settled in with the whole family.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I would start getting your daughter to help you with the dogs if she isnt already , things like feeding them , get her to put the food down for her. While you work on training her get your daughter involved give her the treats and let her reward the dog as she gets more comfy you can get her to give the commands, for now I would just have her quiet. If the dog shows any signs of fear aggression , growls, raised lips, raised hackles I would remove your daughter from that. You may want to look into a trainer who has experience with this breed and with fear based dogs. Is she crate trained? You may be able to get your daughter to quietly walk up to the crate and offer her some treats and stuff through the crate , let her see she isn't a threat to her. I would deff work on this now as it very likely can turn to a fear aggression issue. Does she act like this with anyone else? while out on walks does she shy away from strangers like this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My daughter does help out as much as we ask her to, otherwise she just leaves her alone so as not to scare Ari further. We are still working on the leash training, and waiting until she has her next shots this month before we take her for walks around other dogs. She is crate-trained, and is fairly skittish around new people but does eventually warm up to them. I'll try involving my daughter more when I'm training Ari and see if that helps, but just wanted to get more opinions on things at this point. Ari is the second pitbull we've been around (friend of mine has one also), we have mainly owned Rottweilers and currently also have a 2 year old rottie that gets along great with Ari.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Alot of the time things like this is genetic, the breed isn't a fearful breed but BYB's dont look at temperment's properly and breed unstable dogs and you can find alot of skiddish dogs pop up. Some just need extra coaxing while others never come out of it and you get into more issues with fear aggression pop up. Big reason I would really push for a trainer to help unless you know how to address things properly and correct them appropriately. Did you get her from a breeder? were you able to check out the parents at all see how there temperments were? Hopefully this is just a phase, seeing as she is so young it's very possible some extra coaxing and baby voices and TONS of positive reinforcement will get her out of it. If you find certain things spook her recreate the scene over and over until she gets used to it. One of mine was scared of baby buggys so we spend an hour just letting him sniff it over, walking with them , having people walk the buggy by him and he is fine now, just be repetitive. Your daughter isn't fearful of her at all is she? dogs can sense that on people as well and often will play off that energy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We did get her from a breeder whom we have known for many years now. The parents have wonderful temperaments/dispositions, as well as the other pups. I'm hoping its just a phase at this point. My daughter is not afraid of her at all which helps, she's been raised around big dogs for most of her life which has helped. I'll probably talk to my friend to see if he had any issues like this with his other pups ever and see what tips he can give me as well.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Ya well that's hopefull since the parents are fine, most likely just a puppy thing and she will come out of this. Just don't baby her when she is fearfull or you reinforce that behaviour, only talk sweet and treat if she is acting fine and not showing fear , that's the behaviour you want her to associate with attention. Deff see what the breeder has to say.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts