Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I posted on here a couple of weeks ago about my poor pup with potty issues. She was prescribed Clovamax for 2 weeks...things seemed to get a little better, but I think it was wishful thinking as she continues to not be able to hold it for more than 20-40 minutes when given freedom of the water bowl.

I took her back to the vet yesterday since there were still so many issues. She lets me know when she needs to poop, but doesn't have any awareness of when she needs to urinate.

When I picked her up yesterday, they didn't have results of her urinalysis or bloodwork...I'm waiting for a phone call from the vet as I type this. They did tell me it was difficult for them to "feel" the bladder and there could be the possibility of an under developed bladder...either a birth defect or due to her malnourishment the first 7 weeks of her life.

I'm hoping the tests come back with some sort of "bug" that the Clovamax didn't treat, but I'm so nervous something more serious could be wrong.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with a "defective" bladder...I hate to use that term, but I'm not sure what else to call it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As I continue to do research, Polydipsia and Polyuria keep popping up...Polydipsia is an increase in drinking water and Polyuria is the increase in urnination. These both sound like my puppy :/ Man, I need to talk to my vet...still waiting on the results of those tests!

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Hopefully it's not a small bladder as there is not much you can do other than maybe doggy diapers. If it is an incontinence issue there are drugs that can help but she's awfully young for it to be that.

Now are you talking about keeping a bowl in the crate with water? I would never crate a dog with water but have the water around when she is about the house. I must have missed your other thread

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hopefully it's not a small bladder as there is not much you can do other than maybe doggy diapers. If it is an incontinence issue there are drugs that can help but she's awfully young for it to be that.

Now are you talking about keeping a bowl in the crate with water? I would never crate a dog with water but have the water around when she is about the house. I must have missed your other thread
Hey PK,

Here's my other thread (you actually kicked my butt, but in a good way :)): http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/47224-what-am-i-doing-wrong-help.html

I am happy to report Maya's bloodwork came back all good, which is also the bad news since there's no explanation for her frequent peeing. The vet prescribed her cephalexin for 10 days to rule out any type of bacterial thing.

The vet tech and I were talking and wondering if her peeing is behavioral, but I'm still on the fence about it. She can hold her urine when she sleeps and plays, but squats without warning most of the time...no sniffing, no circling, no nothing. My housemate and I decided that we were going to try doggie diapers since the accidents have increased.

It's time to get Maya spade so they may be able to actually look at her bladder to see if there are any abnormalities.

As for the water, free reign during the day when she is outside her kennel (which is most of the day), but NO water in her crate, ever. We pick up her water around 6:30-7 pm everynight so she doesn't have accidents at night.

Thoughts??? Suggestions???

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
DON"T SPAY HER!! Wait for a while till she matures a bit. Early Spay and neuter is linked to urination problems! If you want to find out if she has a small bladder they can do an ultrasound to check the size. That is the best way to find out.

BTW she sounds like a normal puppy! You have to take her out every 20 mins to go potty, most pups won't sniff or show a sign yet. Potty training is supervision! When she eats or drinks, outside to pee.... when she's been playing for 15 mins, outside to pee....when she wakes up, outside to pee.
If you are tired of picking up pee then use diapers, I made a set for my pups. It looks like what you put on a female in season but small for a pup. I put a pad in it and change it when they pee. However you still have to watch and take her out like I stated. If you can catch the act say NO and clap your hands or stomp your feet, try to get her to stop but if not that's ok and take her outside. She may not pee at that point but the patterns is the same. A negative reaction when she goes inside and praise when she goes outside. Now if you don't catch her in the act then you cannot correct her. Potty training takes time!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Our pup Moses didn't do any sniffing or circling around either, we spent LOTS of time outside. lots of praise while was going outside, using the words we wanted to train him with.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts