Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
STORY TIME: Okay soooo this week has been a very frustrating week with my dogs on their walks. I don't live near any secluded trails to walk my dogs so I usually walk them between my neighborhood and one adjacent to mine if not, the duck pond.

It all started on Wednesday morning. The wife & I are walking the dogs & as we are walking down the road, I see a little Chihuahua down the road but on the other side of the street. I thought luckily he is past our next turn & he won't see us. WRONG! As soon as we are turning left, he turns around with his big bug eyes and starts yapping as he struts across street. Then as we look back to see how close he is to us, we see a Malamute/Husky looking dog. My wife gives me that :confused: look lol. I said do you want to chase them away or control our dogs because the are getting really close at that point. She chose to chase them away. So they wander into someone's yard so we are like cool it's over.....WRONG!!

As the street we are on curves left, we see an older woman on the sidewalk with a kid and a wiener dog. I smartly cross the street with Cookie & Bear. As we are in the middle of the street, her dog & our dogs are trying to approach each other. I controlled my dogs...all of a sudden :pupruns: She drops the leash & now there is a loose wiener :hammer: I'm like lady get your :curse: :pup:. My dogs are looking at the wiener dog as if he had a bun on his stomach & mustard, ketchup & relish on his back :woof:. I had to basically grab both dogs' collar & stand them up on their hind legs so they couldn't see if this dog tasted like an Oscar Myer hot dog lol. The kid final chased down the wiener because the lady just stood on the sidewalk & did nothing :clap:. We make it home with 0 K.I.A.

FastForward to Friday. I'm walking Bear down the exact same street. I see a teenage boy go to his car across the street from his house. No biggy. Apparently his little brother followed him to the door & wanted to see what he was doing. As he is standing there with the front door open...BAM!! Out comes 2 JRT :pupruns: towards me & Bear :mad: :curse:. I'm like :clap: way to go kid. 1 of the JRTs got close enough for Bear to smack him upside his head with his paw. That 1 went back in the yard & the teen grabbed the 2nd as he was trying to charge at us again. Owners that cant control their pets need to be :stick: I'm working on a new walk route right now.

So my question out of this is...If someone's dog was to attack my dog,...How would that go legally?:cop: Say the JRT if Bear would've seriously hurt him or killed him? I can honestly say being a pit bull owner in the city it feels like everyone is against you. I imagine me in court & the judge is like" Yes I know your dog was attacked BUT, it's a pit bull."

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
If someone's dog was to attack yours, legally they would be at fault. HOWEVER, like you said, your dogs are pit bulls and things can get twisted around very easily so that you're at fault.

If I were you, I'd start carrying around Spray Shield and a couple break sticks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Right now my SIL is over with her little chihuahua and it is 10yrs old and just pretty much attacks my poor Luna! Luna does not do anything but this dog will go after her just for walking by. Of course if Luna did do something my SIL would not say anything since she does not yell at her dog. But those little dogs are something else!!
It does suck that yes pit bulls will be the ones who may get in trouble even if it is not there fault.
My neighbor had a pit and a friend of their's let the pit out w/o the leash. Neighbor behind them had their dog out and the pit went to go play. The owner of the pit got his dog and was bringing him back home when the neighbor dog went for the pit and the pit snapped back and bite the dog. Long story short, the pit owner had to get rid of his dog. It really sucks for them cause of the friend who was probably dumb and drunk let the dog out w/o being on its leash! Just shows you really need to be careful.

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
Find a new walking route ASAP and get some kind of spray! I always wanted to get some bear mace but chickened out.. luckily, we haven't had any off-leash animals approach us ever.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I take Terra to the shop where I work so I can squeeze in a good walk for her on my lunch. The area isn't too terribly bad for loose dogs, but there are a few regulars. One is a little black/tan Chi-beast that comes under his gate into the alley and rushes us, but always has stopped just outside the range of Terra's leash. Last walk, the little poop ran up with a foot of Terra. She knew he was there, but chose to ignore him in favor of watching the trees for squirrels. May the little fleabite always be so lucky. I told Terra that if that dog bites me and she does nothing, I'm kicking her butt.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
as a bull dog owner, i have accepted the system will always turn on me and my dog. so i will do whatever it takes to protect him. that includes carrying spray. and kicking another dog straight in the face if it comes within distance. if i get bit, so be it.
i've been in situations before where i threw my dog in the back of a pick up because my idiot neighbor likes to take her little rat dog off the leash. i've also had to heave my boy over my shoulder and kick a charging chihuahua while his owner WALKED across the street at the pace you would go to get the mail.
many (but not all) small dog owners are inconsiderate and feel that laws only apply to large breeds. so carry some spray. and practice your roundhouse.

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Me too those darn things are ugly and annoying! :rofl: Everytime I see one of those yapper's I want to kick it.
X2 and with cats..

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
go get "Halt" it is a dog mace and if they are off leash and not on thier property mace them at 6 feet! It will save you and the dogs a lot of trouble. You need dog mace though not people mace. Dog mace comes out in a direct stream.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
go get "Halt" it is a dog mace and if they are off leash and not on thier property mace them at 6 feet! It will save you and the dogs a lot of trouble. You need dog mace though not people mace. Dog mace comes out in a direct stream.
I'll check into the spray.

Thanks everyone for the responses

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
ugh that's the worst!! A friend of mine uses an air horn instead of mace, just in case her dog gets in the way. You have to get your dog used to the sound so they dont get spooked. But it works for her. Good luck! Off leash dogs stink!! Glad it was OK so far :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.