Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Smurfing= nibbling your person like they have fleas

Cerena when playing or when she wants attention will smurf us or our Boston Terrier. We had a lab that did the same thing. So I don't think its a mean thing. We call it smurfing but the best way to describe it is that it looks like a dog chewing when it has fleas. WHy does she do it? Any one else have a dog that does this?

I've seen to comments "no teeth on skin" So what the best way to curb it?

·
Registered
546 Posts
It's a soothing mechanism or a frustration release. Some dogs do it to blankets others do it to people or shirt sleeves. Never heard of 'smurfing' but have heard of 'flea nibbling' or 'crn nibbling'. I let Ruby do it as long as it doesn't hurt but she only does it when she is worked up not as a sleepytime thing. Dunno how to discourage it tho except to move away or provide a more suitable thing = toy to nibble. 'No bite' works here for play biting but this is a totally different behavior....

·
GYPSY PAVING
445 Posts
Smurfing= nibbling your person like they have fleas

Cerena when playing or when she wants attention will smurf us or our Boston Terrier. We had a lab that did the same thing. So I don't think its a mean thing. We call it smurfing but the best way to describe it is that it looks like a dog chewing when it has fleas. WHy does she do it? Any one else have a dog that does this?

I've seen to comments "no teeth on skin" So what the best way to curb it?
all 4 of mine have done it... And it's ussualy After i tell them NO BITING, they get mad and Nibble instead,it's like a Pinching but with their front teeth, lol...

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Daisy does it when I scratch her butt..lol. I use her for an itch I can't relieve...lol

·
Registered
411 Posts
Our Rhodesian Ridgeback used to do it and we called it "nervous nibbling". He'd do it to us, pillows, toys, whatever. Maggie does it occasionally and I've never corrected for it. It's almost like a grooming, getting your fleas for you kinda thing. LOL

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
None of my dogs have ever done this but I think I can envision what you are talking about. Loki will however nibble on my finger nails if I let him. He also likes to eat his nail slippings after I am done clipping his nails and before I get a chance to pick them up and throw them away.

·
Banned
835 Posts
personally i like it, it seems as if the dog is returning the favor for being scratched
and nothing more. a dog that dose quirky things like that holds a deeper place in my heart, rather that your average middle of the road boring buttsniffer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts