Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can snails make dogs sick? Dosia has this new obsession with hunting snails when I water the garden. He'll seek them out then he'll chew off their shells. He doesn't eat them but he chews on them till they look like a pile of snot and his mouth gets all foamy like he's got rabies. I'm not really sure why he hates them so much but he makes it a point to chew up every one he sees.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
He likes Escargo lol! Snails have been tearing up our flowers and potted plants we have outdoors. I picked up some of this organic snail deterant at the Home Depot and you sprinkle it around your garden and flowers. Haven't seen one since ;) Bella has picked up a few snails as well but luckily her "drop it" recall is great! Lol!

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
the secretions are kinda like that of a toad it sounds like.. dogs grab toads alot too, despite the reaction. I doubt its as poisonous as the toad but then again, maybe.. LOL

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm I'll just have to make him stay out of the garden. He's so funny he'll show his teeth and growl at them. I wonder why he hates snails so much lol.

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
Snails and other insects can carry worms. so..
1. worm regular
or
2. Curb that issue

this is why my dogs aren't allowed to touch insects and why my cat had worms when he had ingested fleas while grooming.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhhhhh, gross!!! Yea he is most def. not allowed in the garden anymore.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I think the foaming is their defense reaction :) so yeah, no more snails for him! Hope they come out the other end with less foam, lol.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Snails wong hurt, of course ideally you want him to stop but yeah. Just being a dog, it moves so i must be able to put it in my mouth.

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
KM, slugs and snails carry worms and at that Lung worms.

here:

What is lungworm? Angiostrongylus vasorum (also known as French Heartworm)

again...this is why my dogs aren't allowed to mess with any sort of bug or even eat grass that is not of my own yard due to poisonous pest solutions and lord only knows whatelse.
Yes however at least in my area thats not common, wouldn't say its rare but if many snails did carry worms than many dogs in my past and present would have problems.

A dog is a dog, you can't protect them from every little thing. Mosquitos can carry plenty of diseases, the % of people who are bit every day as oppose to the % who actually get sick is quite low... No reason to not go out side just because theres a chance you may get a horrible virus from a mosquito.

Just saying, not saying your wrong just making a point.

KG already said that her dog wont be allowed in the Garden anymore so all is well.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LMAO Lisa, bad frog trip. I had a fire belly toad for a pet and my sister's boyfriend always tried to lick him every time they came over. LOL I told him he's not that kind of frog :)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
ewww I would NOT lick my firebellies! totally wrong frog! lol

My clients dog ate a toad out here and started to hallucinate, it was crazy to watch. General also ate a toad last year and threw up for several hours, now he sees them and steers clear lol

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
Yes however at least in my area thats not common, wouldn't say its rare but if many snails did carry worms than many dogs in my past and present would have problems.

A dog is a dog, you can't protect them from every little thing. Mosquitos can carry plenty of diseases, the % of people who are bit every day as oppose to the % who actually get sick is quite low... No reason to not go out side just because theres a chance you may get a horrible virus from a mosquito.

Just saying, not saying your wrong just making a point.

KG already said that her dog wont be allowed in the Garden anymore so all is well.
I respect your response and I am not here to debate about it. it is what it is...risk it or prevent the risk all together. also seen and responded to Krystal's post. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts