Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've proved every "Jester's a mutt" comment wrong, but there's one that I haven't been able to pin point, and it's also something that I don't know much about. Was thinking maybe someone on here could put in some input.
Jester's coat. Everyone who see's him says "His coat is gorgeous!" or "His coat is immaculate." But that's the thing. His coat is very VERY fine, and extremely soft. It's almost like it's not quite as water proof as all of the other APBT's and ambully's that I've met. The dogs I've always seen have been short haired, of course, but it's always been kind of thick and course. You can see the definition of the hairs when you look or take a picture, but with Jester, you have to look VERY closely. Just wondering if this could be due to lack of nutrition as a puppy, or a clue that he is mixed with something. Everything about him screams APBT, with possibly some Whopper bloodlines as I've been told on here; except the coat. It's the only thing about him that the hubby has pointed at that's made me question it lol. Any feedback?

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Lily's coat is short, fine & soft in comparison to Lex's coat. She's on very good food, we had her on Blue Buffalo but recently switched to TOTW because it's better & actually easier on the pocket book since it's all life stages.

Lex's coat is short & course. He was raised on blue buffalo but also comes from a different bloodline than Lily. And from what I believe I think he may have a bit of bully in him from his mother's side - since Lex's Father is PR & his mother isn't...

Not sure if that helps with what you're looking for? Also, why does it matter if his 100% or not, just love him for him. :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
my dogs coats range. Kera has a VERY short thin fine/soft coat. Daisy has slightly longer soft dence coat. Nilla has a slightly longer yet thin and fine coat. Dora has a VERY SHORT DENCE SOFT coat like no other pitty iv felt. King has longer coaurse yet still soft hair. Tonka has longer soft dence hair but hes still adjusting when hes huge his hair wont seem so long. haha & lola is a mix am bully and has longer coaurse hair. they all are on the short side except lola. coats do tell alot about a dog tho. I see people with "pits" that have LONG hackels, tail and leg hair and say no-no buddy im sorry you have a mutty.

·
Registered
281 Posts
oh and to add all are registerd except lola. King in my only pr ukc and hes all pocket pitty razors edge. Keras OF watchdog. Nilla and tonka are half bro and sis offa fairly close to colby lines/ alligator mayfeild greyline. dora is more greyline but their 2nd cuzzin. and daisy is a mixed lines pocket and OF/OS lines. hope any of this helps. LOVE is the main thing but its always great to know what you have. DNA tests are becoming cheaper I think maybe for XMAS you guys could do a dna test :) <3

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The DNA test is an idea. My first APBT that I was able to keep, I'm pretty sure she was mixed but the best friend I ever had. I don't mind if the results say he is mixed. He's my buddy and nothing can change that. I'm sure y'all have read some of my posts in here about my husbands disagreement over his am bully and Jester. He still doesn't believe that his dog Magnum (Razors Edge) is not actually an american pit bull terrier, but he doesn't get all defensive anymore when I bring it up either lol. So he compares Jester to Magnum, and of course there are going to do some differences.
I'm trying to learn to differentiate between all of the "pit" breeds, and this was one of the things that threw me off about Jester, but I see now that it's probably just bloodline and dominate traits. Thank you all. :)

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
DNA tests are worthless.

Hair thickness varies. It's genetic and not necessarily from being mixed with something else.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
[QUOTE
Hair thickness varies. It's genetic and not necessarily from being mixed with something else.[/QUOTE]

:goodpost:

All our dogs have had different 'coat' types, can even vary in litter mates.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL that video was hillarious. THAT'S out of the question. Thank you all for your input. :)

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
My boy Dosia has that super soft fur too. Every time we have people over and they say hi to him I always get asked what I feed him to make his coat so shiny and soft. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My boy Dosia has that super soft fur too. Every time we have people over and they say hi to him I always get asked what I feed him to make his coat so shiny and soft. :)
I was looking through your "My Family" album at Dosia, and his and Jester's coats are pretty much the same. Very shiny and soft lookin, just like my boy's. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Sarge's coat is super duper soft and fine especially his head. It is like petting microfiber.

Nikita has thick courser fur and is not as soft.

They are on the same food and both get 3-5 eggs a week but still very different fur.

·
parasite killer
518 Posts
ice has thinner hair then Kaos. Ice is white. Kaos is blue. I believe Chico-****** dog, had even thinner hair then Ice. I agree that different dogs have different coat qualities.

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
The DNA test is an idea. My first APBT that I was able to keep, I'm pretty sure she was mixed but the best friend I ever had. I don't mind if the results say he is mixed. He's my buddy and nothing can change that. I'm sure y'all have read some of my posts in here about my husbands disagreement over his am bully and Jester. He still doesn't believe that his dog Magnum (Razors Edge) is not actually an american pit bull terrier, but he doesn't get all defensive anymore when I bring it up either lol. So he compares Jester to Magnum, and of course there are going to do some differences.
I'm trying to learn to differentiate between all of the "pit" breeds, and this was one of the things that threw me off about Jester, but I see now that it's probably just bloodline and dominate traits. Thank you all. :)
This should help...

http://www.gopitbull.com/goldmine/17493-breed-clarification.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts