Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so someone gave my daughter a guinea pig. He's a really friendly and easy going guy. We get him and his cage and get told how to care for him. Being the person I am I jump online and join a guinea pig forum..lol.

I find out that so many things have been done wrong with him. The food is wrong. Wrong hay. There is a salt lick when it says not to give them one on the forum. His nails were so long they were curling underneath his feet. The cage looked good. Clean bedding and all.

Well we have had him for about a week. I corrected all the wrongs. I bought the best food, hay, treats and chew thingys. Well today I am moving the cage and decide to clean it. I take the bedding out and there is half an inch of gosh I don't even know. Just a nasty brown layer! I scrub all of it with bleach and I still can't get it all. I was told to clean the cage once a month and to clip his nails and teeth every 4 months. That seems kinda long.

Can someone fill me in? This is soooooo different from my dogs and sugar gliders...LMAO

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I used to have a friend who did Guinea pig rescue (he rescues just about anything, people bring him all sorts of sick and homeless animals lol). He told me once that he cleans all their cages once or twice a week depending on the pig (some poop in mostly one place and he could spot clean them to make the overall bedding last longer.

·
Premium Member
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to have a friend who did Guinea pig rescue (he rescues just about anything, people bring him all sorts of sick and homeless animals lol). He told me once that he cleans all their cages once or twice a week depending on the pig (some poop in mostly one place and he could spot clean them to make the overall bedding last longer.
I did think once a month was a long time...LOL

The dogs don't really do anything in their crates and I bleach them once a week...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Be careful with scurvy...idk how to spell it but my friend had 3 guinea pigs and 2 of them died of it..its something about their teeth never stop growing because their rodents and they get too overgrown and they cant eat anymore? Im not an expert but thats what i can throw in as advice lol. And I know that they like to "talk" to their owner. Id clean their cage like kitty liter because i wouldn't want to be crawling around in my own crap :)

·
Premium Member
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Be careful with scurvy...idk how to spell it but my friend had 3 guinea pigs and 2 of them died of it..its something about their teeth never stop growing because their rodents and they get too overgrown and they cant eat anymore? Im not an expert but thats what i can throw in as advice lol. And I know that they like to "talk" to their owner. Id clean their cage like kitty liter because i wouldn't want to be crawling around in my own crap :)
Thank you so much for the advice! The pet store that does his nails and teeth for me said to get them checked once a month. And he is a talker. I had to go online so I could figure out what were good noises and what were bad noises....LOL

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I like to bring them grass in a plastic bag and then give them the grass ( not the bag lol). Everytime you bring home grocery's and they hear the bag they will go weee weee from across the house lmao.

I would clean the cage weekly especially if its a male. Also they need vitamin C so oranges are good for them.

·
Premium Member
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like to bring them grass in a plastic bag and then give them the grass ( not the bag lol). Everytime you bring home grocery's and they hear the bag they will go weee weee from across the house lmao.

I would clean the cage weekly especially if its a male. Also they need vitamin C so oranges are good for them.
Yeah he LOVES his timothy hay. They were giving him some food with nuts and seeds and crap in it and last night I started him on his new food which is the Oxbow Cavy and he LOVED it. Stood there at the bowl eating for what seemed like forever!

I was reading online that they needed vitamin C everyday. And they were saying I can crush up vitamin C tablets (human grade) and give those to him. Do you know anything about this?

Who would have thought that something so small requires so much care....LOL.

·
Premium Member
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a picture of him (Chewy) with my daughter. He does really seem to like her. If he is out walking around, he will seek her our. What is it about all animals loving this girl?!

Oh and he is a BIG boy. My daughter is 13 and he is almost the size of her head. I believe they told me he was almost 3 pounds.. LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts