Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just some venting. figured this is a good place for it since no one i hang wit really has nethng to say for advice or just doesnt care. but im still p'd off bout it. and don't know what to think of the situation any more.

well long story. my friend asked me to watch his ambully for him for 2months. cuz the landlord is afraid of the dog and the dog tore up the dishwasher n dug holes in the floors due to seperation anxiety. he was supposed to pay me for keeping the dog. but i ended up spending over $30 a week on feeding his dog alone plus $1,000 in vet bills due to his health problems. i already have two apbts and a room of snakes. plus my brother liven on tha couch. i don't need another person or animal to feed! i have only gotten 20bucks from him the first week. not only did his dog basically spend a lot of my money but a lot of my time. he had no clue how to interact with people without going spycho jumping on them and running around like sumthing crazy got into him. he would not go to the bathroom outside what so ever but would ALWAYS pee n crap everywhere within 5 mins of coming bck inside.and he would try to fight with my dogs if i let them play together. so play quickly stopped. i would have to play with him one on one and even then he had no idea what to do. i had to keep him in the crate half the time so i could train him like a puppy. or else he would pee on something every 5mins n get into the trash or whatev. he didnt even know his own name. his prev owner only let him outside once a day to pee n thts it. n he never even peed outside then. so i had to teach him EVERYTHING.

well it got to the point where my landlord (thankfully a very good friend of mine for a while) told me if i am not getting payed to keep the dog and he is such a hastle for me then he would gladly take me to the dog pound the very next weekend. so i told my friend. his reply was for me to find the dog a good home. because he couldnt keep him and ddnt have money to pay me. so i found him a great home on an indian res in rhodeisland. the owners love him n say he is exactly what they wanted in a dog. big, n good at guarding. but very friendly and fun loving. he now gets to be outside all the time n can run around the woods, which he has never seen up untill then. he goes on fishing n camping trips. n is just 100% better off. and doesnt have to b in a crate now. the problem is. those naragansets can be stubborn and xtremely thick headed over who u take sides with in their tribe. so there was a social perdicament n i picked the wrong side apparently and the dogs new owners want nothing to do with me now. i don't care that much. but my friend is p'd off at me cuz he demands to see his dog but can't. i understand where he is coming from but its now the story of his life. i told him look. he is lucky the dog did not end up in the pound. i did not take a liking to that dog. but i still took care of him,treated him fairly, and trained him so someone else could enjoy him. now he is going on about how he has the dogs papers and they don't. the papers seem hung any way. but on the other side. they already have the dog registered to the state of rhodeisland so it is legaly theres. their problem about the situation is they are mad about the vet bills. they say he should give them money for the vets since the dog was his before they got it. i told them too bad. they knew about the health problems but still agreed to take the dog and don't want to give him up. they want to get payed bck for the vets tho. and my friend now wants me to get the dog back even though he cant keep him n even tho the dog is clearly a lot happier. i actually went on a fishing trip with them n the dog out on a row boat b4 they stoped talking to me. the dog was happy go lucky n was the first time he has done nething like that at all in the whole three years he has been alive. but now im the middle person. and it sucks. they want vet money from him but refuse to talk to him directly cuz of his race.and now they wont talk 2 me. n yes they r a bit racist but it doesnt effect how they take care of their animals. and he wants me to take the dog back or have them bring the dog to his house for visits. i also told him he put me incharge of finding a good home and i made sure i did. the dog is out of my hands so i don't want to hear about it any more. now i am starting to feel like i made the mistake of agreeing to do anything for my friend what so ever as far as the dog goes. he is really lucky i found any one that wanted his dog cuz i went thru a lot of ppl that said F no! so i feel like i did the wrong thing but it doesnt really seem like i did since the dog is living a better more active and healthier life.

Reactions: stonerreakinhavok

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Your friend really has no right to "demand" to see "his" dog as far as I can see. He clearly demonstrated that he couldn't care for the dog or at least teach him any basic puppy stuff for the entire time he owned him. For me, that forfeits any kind of rights to see the dog with it's new owners. And on the other side, the new owners really have no obligation to allow it either. It's their dog now.

You did the best you could with a bad situation and went way beyond what most would have done.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
your friend has no right to anything here , I hope he doesnt go out and get another dog . Owning a dog comes with alot of responsibility which he didnt live up to onhis end .
The new owners should have thought through what they were getting into and what that in titles , dogs come with vet bills expected and unexpected at times , deal with it its part of owning a dog. if the dog is in good hands and a loving family it should be end of story. Without a contract in order stating this person gets that or that person gets visitation and blah blah nothing you or your friend can do. Neither of you wanted the dog , you did more for the dog then the "friend" did for his own dog things should be left at that. Id tell both partys where to go on this issue and wash your hands of it all, no need to be stressed over this. Hope the dog is being loved and adored by his new family.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Your friend's loss, other people's gain, and doesn't really concern you anymore so I wouldn't dwell on it.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Your friend's loss, other people's gain, and doesn't really concern you anymore so I wouldn't dwell on it.
:goodpost: Don't worry about it as its not your problem! Not like you did it behind their back or anything, needed a home and you found a home.

Reactions: pitbullmamanatl

·
Registered
411 Posts
Your friend sounds like a total loser and a user. This is your perfect opportunity to purge him from your life. It's not his dog anymore - tell him deal with it and not to speak to you about it again. If the new owners are only speaking to you to pressure you to ask your "friend" for money remind them that he didn't even pay for food while you took care of the dog so good luck with that whole vet bill thing and that you wash your hands of the whole thing. You don't want to hear anything from either side, ever again, on this topic.

So, even though it feels stressful, look at it another way. You essentially saved a dog and discovered the true character of your "friends". You and the dog are both better off going forward.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
what the others have said... and the part about the new owners want money for vet bills from him.. just as he has no right to demand to see his dog.. they cant demand money from him

3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanx a lot guys. it just sucks second guessing myself on something i know is ultimately right. i was just expecting him to be happy about the whole situation. but im thinking maybe it would have been better off for me and him if he actually put effort in finding a new home for the dog. that way it would be on him if he wanted to know the new owners n see the dog every now n then. he has helped me out many times when i needed it most. so i don't want to end our friendship. i just dont want to hear him go on n on bout it ne more. so i guess i will simply just stop talking to him until he can get over it. i hope he will get the point after a while of not talking. if not then i dunno it is what it is. i did what i had to do and whats done is done. im also just mad he still is selfish enough to care more about his own wants then that dogs actual needs.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
You did the right thing! I would tell both parties to shove off! ;)

They took the dog knowing there was health issues, your friend owes them nothing in vet bills....

The previous owner does not get visitation rights, he gave the dog up and legal it is the other people's dog now.

Bottom line you did the right thing for the dog and I would just not talk to either parties and be done with it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Your friend sounds like a total loser and a user. This is your perfect opportunity to purge him from your life. It's not his dog anymore - tell him deal with it and not to speak to you about it again. If the new owners are only speaking to you to pressure you to ask your "friend" for money remind them that he didn't even pay for food while you took care of the dog so good luck with that whole vet bill thing and that you wash your hands of the whole thing. You don't want to hear anything from either side, ever again, on this topic.

So, even though it feels stressful, look at it another way. You essentially saved a dog and discovered the true character of your "friends". You and the dog are both better off going forward.
this is truth !

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
You did the right thing! I would tell both parties to shove off! ;)

They took the dog knowing there was health issues, your friend owes them nothing in vet bills....

The previous owner does not get visitation rights, he gave the dog up and legal it is the other people's dog now.

Bottom line you did the right thing for the dog and I would just not talk to either parties and be done with it.
ditto!! you did the bet you could and the dog has the benefit stay focused on what is best for the dog and tune out the rest.

·
RateMyPitbull.com Moderator
4,389 Posts
Just like everybody else said. The new owners can't demand money, and your friend can't demand visitation. And neither should be bothering you about it, anyway.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
The whole thng just sux. Sorry you had to deal with this Jessica. But everyone is right the new owners have to pay for the vet bills and the old onwer has no rights to see the dog end of story.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts