Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Roxie has always been 'his' dog vs Kane being 'mine'. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the means to take Roxie with him and doubly unfortunate, I don't have the means to care for her indefinitely. I simply don't have the financial means to take care of two dogs.

As far as I've decided, I will be taking care of her for at least another 6-8 months; and that's fine. I can afford to provide for her because I am living somewhere rent/utilities-free. However, it's after that point that I will be moving out of state, on my own with all the financial culpability that goes with it, and so will no longer be able to put that money towards dog food, vet bills, etc, for two dogs.

I don't want her going into a shelter. End of story. Period. Even if it's no-kill. I'm really looking more towards being able to find her a home through sites like craigslist or petfinders, etc, but I want to get her out to the public as much as possible. Do any of you know websites that I could place her on to give her as much exposure as possible, preferably with a section for specific locations like CL?

She's an awesome dog. Very willing and eager to please, a little stubborn and independent, so she needs firm rules. She is the biggest cuddle-bug you'll ever see. Her favorite spot in the house is wherever you are. She's house/crate-trained, loves riding in the car, is great off-leash, etc. She knows sit, stay, lay down, get down, get back, shake, shake (with the other paw), leave it, and 'go outside' (for going to the bathroom). I would prefer her in a home either by herself or with a dog of the opposite sex and that's dependent on a meet-and-greet. I'm willing to drive upwards of 6-7 hours away to do a home-check.

ETA: She's 10 months old, spayed, and UTD on all her shots. She'll need her first 3-year rabies in June, but is otherwise fine.

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
I would contact a pit rescue and see if they can help, they will norm work out of foster homes not a "shelter" and have strict app process so find good homes. As far as CL goes just make sure your bio is good and the pics are cute then screen screen screen. Make sure you stay in contact for a several months after weather phone email what have you. here is a bio i just did for my most recent foster, note how is shows some of her naughty behavior but makes it sound funny. this warns then of her issues without putting them off (we hope lol)

This is an awesome firecracker of a little girl. Muscle bound and truly beautiful she just LOVES life and all it has to offer. 110% house broken and crate trained. You just couldn't ask for a better dog! She is one of the happiest and most loving fosters I have ever had. She loves to cuddle and will literally dive into your arms making you crack up. We don’t know much about Darla’s past besides she was an obvious breeder used to excess then tossed aside when they where done with her. But she truly is a blessing to be had. She is smart as a whip and has learned some wicked tricks like how to open doors and if sitting doesn’t get me a cookie, I will hug your waist looking up at you with big sweet eyes until you give in. And if you look at me long enough (because I’m really quiet while I’m in my kennel) I sing. You will laugh (music to my ears) and let me out for cuddles!!! All I can say is whoever is smart enough to adopt this baby is going to be one lucky son of a gun with years of laughter and love to fill their home!I wouldn't really recommend cats (it is doable but slightly annoying) or kids under 5 (as she will happily knock them down and kiss them way too much lol

anyway good luck sorry you are having to deal with this

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips on writing up a bio for her.

I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable contacting a pit rescue ... I feel like I would be taking away from other dogs that are more in need than her.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Pit rescues usually wont accept owner surrenders.

I would suggest petfinder,and posting her on facebook groups.
I see a lot of people networking to find dogs good homes.

I don't really trust CL. I just got my pup from there,and was lied to about her.
You just can't trust most of the people on there.

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
That's a tough situation, sucks you have to go through this - best of luck to you.

You could try your local vets office & post a photo of her on their bulletin board stating your looking for a good forever home. Also talk to the staff, they might know someone that will be a good fit.

You could also try local ethical kennels/breeders - the one I got Lily from also does rescue/adoptions. Maybe you can find one in your area that will take her temporarily to find her a forever home.

I'm anti CL, if anything a last resort measure, could you adopt her out under contract, meaning she'd always have you as an umbrella?

·
Registered
207 Posts

I don't really trust CL. I just got my pup from there,and was lied to about her.
What did they lie to you about?

To the OP, Good Luck, definitely try FB groups, like the above said...

·
3,272 Posts

I think the parents and age if I remember correctly, but the problem is she BOUGHT a PUPPY off CL. unfortunately that is a no no. I have rehomed ADULT dogs with good well informed bio and made them go though and adoption process and have found EXCELLENT homes for a couple of my rescue. I keep in contact and once every couple of months will go visit them. I even have one that the owner lets me pick up and bring to the park for play time. It's all about screening the home, it is not always the people looking for pets on CL that is bad (as said person above is not a bad owner and I have gotten a dog from there as well as other on this very forum) as much as the poster of the ad are bad. Does that make sense?

Reactions: Xiahko

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone. This is tearing me up inside, but I'm trying to do right by her. Especially since it seems like my ex-SO isn't interested in becoming involved in this process.

I've researched a lot of rescues in my area (Michigan) and have noticed that a few of them offer to do a 'courtesy posting' of your dog, as long as you agree to take responsibility in providing care for them until they are adopted and as long as you go through the adoption screening process yourself. I'll be contacting all of them to post her on there; I've checked and double-checked these rescues and they all have very tight, strict rules on adoption for their own dogs and are registered with the government, so I feel comfortable going through these reputable rescues.

How would I go about looking for good FB groups? I have a FB, but am not all that 'savvy' about it.

And I'm sorry you were lied to about the puppy you got from there, but I am not the person you got your pup from. I'm doing home-checks, meet-and-greets, and everything else I can to ensure she goes to a great home. I'm not lying about anything about her or just 'dumping' her off on someone. I'm being very leery about CL as I have heard many bad stories about adoptions from there, but I've also heard quite a few stories of people getting their forever pets from there. I'm going into it with eyes wide open.

That's a tough situation, sucks you have to go through this - best of luck to you.

You could try your local vets office & post a photo of her on their bulletin board stating your looking for a good forever home. Also talk to the staff, they might know someone that will be a good fit.

You could also try local ethical kennels/breeders - the one I got Lily from also does rescue/adoptions. Maybe you can find one in your area that will take her temporarily to find her a forever home.

I'm anti CL, if anything a last resort measure, could you adopt her out under contract, meaning she'd always have you as an umbrella?
Thank you. I'll be talking to their vet about this. I trust my vet very much as she's the top vet in this area and very knowledgeable (and expensive, eek). She'll definitely let me post Roxie's picture and info in her office and she might be able to help me find breeders who might take Roxie in for me; she's bred and trained Gordon Setters for the past 20 years, has shown, done conformation, hunting, and agility with them, so she's definitely got some connections she might be able to use for me.

I'm not sure if I could adopt her out under contract as I'll be moving out-of-state to the east next year. If anything comes up with her, I'm not sure that I would be able to drive back and get her. :(

Thank you very much.

I think the parents and age if I remember correctly, but the problem is she BOUGHT a PUPPY off CL. unfortunately that is a no no. I have rehomed ADULT dogs with good well informed bio and made them go though and adoption process and have found EXCELLENT homes for a couple of my rescue. I keep in contact and once every couple of months will go visit them. I even have one that the owner lets me pick up and bring to the park for play time. It's all about screening the home, it is not always the people looking for pets on CL that is bad (as said person above is not a bad owner and I have gotten a dog from there as well as other on this very forum) as much as the poster of the ad are bad. Does that make sense?
Thank you.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts

They lied about her parents,and her medical records,and age.

I knew all this when I met him,but I took the pup off him anyway,cause it was clear she was sick,and not getting the medical attention she needed.

She was so bloated,and had a dry nose. She drank like 3 bowls of water when I got her home,poor thing.

She's doing much better now. I don't regret getting her,I'm just glad I did,and not a fighter or BYB first,since she isn't fixed either.

the only thing he didn't lie about was her needing shots. I couldn't just say no,and let him take her back to where ever she was staying.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
If you want to friend me,I can try and help you network these pups on FB. (Katie Bakker)

All I'm saying is BE CAREFUL with CL. Even if the application is good,and the home seems good,it can still go wrong.

I heard of a case where everything looked to be going smoothly,then when the original owner of the dog went to see how their dog was doing at it's new home,the person had sold it to someone.

There are tons of people who will buy/take a free dog of cl so they can sell it to make money. I've seen it happen all the time.You just never know.

There are good people out there searching for a dog,it's just hard to tell who they are sometimes.

·
Registered
207 Posts
i got my boy from craigslist and am VERY glad i did, he was very healthy with his first and second vacs and rabies shots already, and i got originals of his medical history and tags, i guess i got lucky from a very good couple who just couldnt handle having such a HUGE litter (15) in their 3 bedroom apt. So, moral of the story, just do A LOT of research on the person(s) taking Roxie... From the sounds of things, you are doing everything right by her and as long as your interview the potentials and be honest bout everything, as you said you plan on doing, i think you should be fine, i do hope everything goes well for you. Sounds to me (and correct me if I am wrong) that your SO doesn't seem to be a very good guy, and Roxie is lucky to have someone as caring as you on her side. I commend you, and wish for the best. I would offer to help and adopt her however I am in NY and already have 2 in my home and they are a handful as it is. Again, Best of Luck! :)

·
parasite killer
518 Posts
Very sorry you are having to go through this, breakups are bad enough, then add in little innocent ones and its even worse. I live close by-an hour away tops, I wish I could help you out. I myself have two males intact and will not throw a female into the mix, as well as the fact that here in Burton we are allowed only 2 dogs per home. I don't know of anyone at the moment that could take her either. But if you could think of a way that I could help you out let me know...You could do posters at petco and pet supplies plus, tsc's, I don't know....You could even ask the vet you use if you could hang up a flyer there. The good thing is that you do have some time, its better then needing to be rid of her NOW. Good Luck!

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
If you could, I see you are from Michigan, contact the Buster Foundation which is the pit rescue that I know of in my area... even if you don't send her over with them, they can do a courtesy post on petfinder for you, and maybe bring her out to some events so she gets spotted :)

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you want to friend me,I can try and help you network these pups on FB. (Katie Bakker)

All I'm saying is BE CAREFUL with CL. Even if the application is good,and the home seems good,it can still go wrong.

I heard of a case where everything looked to be going smoothly,then when the original owner of the dog went to see how their dog was doing at it's new home,the person had sold it to someone.

There are tons of people who will buy/take a free dog of cl so they can sell it to make money. I've seen it happen all the time.You just never know.

There are good people out there searching for a dog,it's just hard to tell who they are sometimes.
I will make sure to friend you when the time comes, thank you so much. Right now we're taking things one day at a time. I just wanted to know what my options were to see Roxie placed in the best home possible. It might turn out that my ex-SO will find a place he can have Roxie.

i got my boy from craigslist and am VERY glad i did, he was very healthy with his first and second vacs and rabies shots already, and i got originals of his medical history and tags, i guess i got lucky from a very good couple who just couldnt handle having such a HUGE litter (15) in their 3 bedroom apt. So, moral of the story, just do A LOT of research on the person(s) taking Roxie... From the sounds of things, you are doing everything right by her and as long as your interview the potentials and be honest bout everything, as you said you plan on doing, i think you should be fine, i do hope everything goes well for you. Sounds to me (and correct me if I am wrong) that your SO doesn't seem to be a very good guy, and Roxie is lucky to have someone as caring as you on her side. I commend you, and wish for the best. I would offer to help and adopt her however I am in NY and already have 2 in my home and they are a handful as it is. Again, Best of Luck! :)
Yes, if she does end up in a new home all of her tags and medical history are going with her.

Thank you very much. I truly appreciate the offer, but can understand having a limit at two. ;)

Very sorry you are having to go through this, breakups are bad enough, then add in little innocent ones and its even worse. I live close by-an hour away tops, I wish I could help you out. I myself have two males intact and will not throw a female into the mix, as well as the fact that here in Burton we are allowed only 2 dogs per home. I don't know of anyone at the moment that could take her either. But if you could think of a way that I could help you out let me know...You could do posters at petco and pet supplies plus, tsc's, I don't know....You could even ask the vet you use if you could hang up a flyer there. The good thing is that you do have some time, its better then needing to be rid of her NOW. Good Luck!
It's a shame about that 2 dogs per home rule. I hadn't realized Burton had rules like that. Thank you very much for your offer. I really appreciate it, and will definitely let you know if there is any way you could help me. Me and Roxie will take all we can get. :)

If you could, I see you are from Michigan, contact the Buster Foundation which is the pit rescue that I know of in my area... even if you don't send her over with them, they can do a courtesy post on petfinder for you, and maybe bring her out to some events so she gets spotted :)
The Buster Foundation was actually one of the rescues I mentioned in an earlier comment that I discovered would do a courtesy posting for her. I'm glad that someone on here can back up the fact that they are reputable. :) Thank you so much for the suggestion.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
just a thought

She's 10 months old, spayed, and UTD on all her shots. She'll need her first 3-year rabies in June, but is otherwise fine.
Just a thought...If you can handle her for the next 6-8 mos. and she is UTD on all her shots and is spayed and will get her rabies shot soon, what vet bills are u anticipating ? A 50 lb bag of food costs @ $ 29.00 and could last 2 dogs for a month...what expenses are u anticipating? Maintaing the health of an already healthy dog isn't that expensive.
Or is it the move out of state that is more stress inducing looking forward to finding housing wherever u r going?
Deb "Geisthexe" lives near you, maybe she could help, she is a member on here PM her and see what suggestions she has? Her screen name is listed under the moderator list to the left.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
CL can actually be a very good place to find a good home if you are a persistent person who will actually interview people and find the right home. I have placed many rescues on Cl and actually the only home that came back to me was my own neutered male not any of the rescues lol.

I understand your not wanting to take her shelter and agree if you can wait and find her a home that is better than taking up a foster home or shelter space for a dog that actually needs it.

You will most likely have to repeatedly repost tho. My rescues where always spay/neutered and free and anything pitbull got flagged CONSTANTLY.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a thought...If you can handle her for the next 6-8 mos. and she is UTD on all her shots and is spayed and will get her rabies shot soon, what vet bills are u anticipating ? A 50 lb bag of food costs @ $ 29.00 and could last 2 dogs for a month...what expenses are u anticipating? Maintaing the health of an already healthy dog isn't that expensive.
Or is it the move out of state that is more stress inducing looking forward to finding housing wherever u r going?
Deb "Geisthexe" lives near you, maybe she could help, she is a member on here PM her and see what suggestions she has? Her screen name is listed under the moderator list to the left.
The costs I am anticipating are as follows:

-- Trying to find housing for two pitbulls with me, when I know it is already difficult to find housing with one.

-- Kane has food allergies, so I'm feeding them TOTW, a $45 30lb bag which lasts maybe 2 and a half weeks.

-- Any emergency vet bills, plus regular check-up vet bills.

-- Toys and treats for two dogs.

-- Time for two dogs ... socializing and training both of them for the rest of their life when I am about 75% sure I'll be working long hours and maybe two jobs at minimum wage or thereabouts.

I'm trying to do right by Roxie and I'm not sure I'll be able to do that out there on my own with no close family or friends. I would rather she be with someone I know can take of her than have her struggling along with me.

·
3,272 Posts
CL can actually be a very good place to find a good home if you are a persistent person who will actually interview people and find the right home. I have placed many rescues on Cl and actually the only home that came back to me was my own neutered male not any of the rescues lol.

I understand your not wanting to take her shelter and agree if you can wait and find her a home that is better than taking up a foster home or shelter space for a dog that actually needs it.

You will most likely have to repeatedly repost tho. My rescues where always spay/neutered and free and anything pitbull got flagged CONSTANTLY.
:rofl: ME TOOO!!! the poodle i actually BOUGHT for myself just came back but no rescue has ever come back to me and i check in on them all and there doing awesome!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
ok

The costs I am anticipating are as follows:

-- Trying to find housing for two pitbulls with me, when I know it is already difficult to find housing with one.

-- Kane has food allergies, so I'm feeding them TOTW, a $45 30lb bag which lasts maybe 2 and a half weeks.

-- Any emergency vet bills, plus regular check-up vet bills.

-- Toys and treats for two dogs.

-- Time for two dogs ... socializing and training both of them for the rest of their life when I am about 75% sure I'll be working long hours and maybe two jobs at minimum wage or thereabouts.

I'm trying to do right by Roxie and I'm not sure I'll be able to do that out there on my own with no close family or friends. I would rather she be with someone I know can take of her than have her struggling along with me.
Ok then, now I understand the cost picture better and your concerns make snese. Thanks for clarifying for me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
This is probably not what you want to hear but the reality is that it's very difficult to find a responsible home for a pit bull. On average it takes at least 6 months. We have dogs that have been here for over a year. We even have puppies we've had since they were born to 4 weeks old and 6-8 months later they still haven't had one potential adopter want to meet them. Shelters are full of pit bulls. I'm just being honest so you know what to expect. Some people/dogs do get lucky and great homes come around quickly, but these endings are few and far between.

PBRC is a great resource for rehoming pit bulls. They will even help screen potential adopters with their adoption application and because she's spayed, you can post her on their site: Pit Bull Rescue Central

I would recommend charging an adoption fee of at least $50 so she doesn't get on the radar of collectors. Also, if you don't want to go through PBRC to screen potential adopters, I'd be happy to help by emailing you my adoption application. I also recommend checking vet references and doing a home inspection with the dog.

If you want to email me a photo and description, I'll crosspost the dog to my email list and post her on our Facebook page. Just send me a PM for my email address.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts