Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After almost 2 years of being treated like poo at my job,today I walked out.

The store manager asked me to come in tomorrow,after I had slept on my decision of leaving,but I intent to just give my 2 weeks.

I have had it with that place. Issue is,they're (work) saying I wont get unemployment.

Anyone know if that is true or not? I have good reasons for giving them the finger.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
I don't know if things are like they are here but in my area if you quit you can't get unemployment, even if you gave a 2 week notice. I'm not sure why that is but you either have to get laid off or fired. Just do something bad and make them give you the boot ;)

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
just give 2wk resign .. as a manager of several places we were instructed to let peeps go after their 2 wks notice.. SO GIVE YOUR NOTICE... and let them kick you to the curb OR its very likely you wont.. they cant fire you for doing something bad and you get it, but if they lay you off which happens alot; you can. .. What happens is you wanna quit then everyone wants to quit and they gotta get that song off the table.. does that make sense.. ??? OR if you have a moral standing you can resign on that and still get unemployment.. but its gotta be solid reasoning. At least where I have worked and lived, MO, OK, TX, HI, ID... fired means you did something wrong.. laid off means they cant afford to keep you on ..

·
Registered
151 Posts
hmm what should you do? start looking for another job lol. Make a little resume and fill out app! good luck!

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Sorry Katie, but everyone's right.. if you walk, you won't get unemployment. Here in TN, this is considered an "At Will" employment bracket. They can fire you b/c they don't like the way you part hair here. Unemployment was a battle for me when I got fired under false accusations from my management position, but I appealed it, and b/c my employer failed to prove that I did anything wrong (she claimed I violated company policy, but she was whacked outta her mind on pills when we had the tribunal hearing), so I was awarded my unemployment and got it all in one lump sum, the same week I got my tax return lol. Worked out great for me! I'd go back tomorrow, but keep looking for another job. You have bills to pay, and dogs to feed, so you need to think smarter not harder. Have another job already lined up before you walk out those doors, unless they fire you first. Check the unemployment laws in your area and see what the qualifications are before you have to be in that situation. Here it can take up to 6 wks for them to make a decision, and 90% of the time, you get turned down the first go round and end up having to appeal it anyways. Best of luck to you, and please keep us posted.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
You won't get unemployment if you walk out. True story.

Sorry kid, hope things look up for you. If they fire you, it depends on the situation & you may get unemployment. Usually you only get unemployment if they lay you off.
:clap::clap::clap:

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Unless you're taking some serious abuse, I'd make sure to find another job before you walk out. Stress of no money might be worse then the stress of the job, but I also don't know what's going on at your work. Hope things work for you either way!

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know if things are like they are here but in my area if you quit you can't get unemployment, even if you gave a 2 week notice. I'm not sure why that is but you either have to get laid off or fired. Just do something bad and make them give you the boot ;)
I was thinking that. The only thing is,I like my coworkers,and I wouldn't want them to have to do anything more then they already are.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Unless you're taking some serious abuse, I'd make sure to find another job before you walk out. Stress of no money might be worse then the stress of the job, but I also don't know what's going on at your work. Hope things work for you either way!
They're mentally and some of them physically abusive.

I have tried several times to make this work here. It's just not. I plan on going back to school,so I can get a job I actually want.

They are full of mind games here,telling you one thing,then actually doing another.

I took over a cooks position after she quit,and it took me 5 months of harassment to get my job title changed and get the money increase I was promised.

They changed my title,but did not give me the money I was promised.

I left a VERY good paying job,for this job,cause they promised me things I have yet to see.

And when the original hired cook decided to come back after a year of absence. They kicked me to the curb. They're trying to tell me that they didn;t but they did.

Why else would I still be "cook 1" but be at the steam table,or taking out trash or washing dishes? I NEVER cook anymore. They gave her my schedule and stuck me with a crap schedule,when I had the same schedule for almost 2 years.

I worked very hard to get that position and with no prior skills I had to literally WORK my way up to it.
I had to learn EVERYTHING with in a short time after that cook quit too. I learn VERY fast however. I have had several compliments from customers about my food.

The ONE time I had a complaint(after just getting a compliment too) instead of teaching me how to do it the right way, they threatened to FIRE me or DEMOTE me.

AFTER ONE MISTAKE! ONE! I should have been smarter and quit then,but I tried to not let that get to me. But they really just treat people badly here. We have lost almost all of our staff.
The newest hire didn't even last 2 months before she bailed.

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Sorry Katie, but everyone's right.. if you walk, you won't get unemployment. Here in TN, this is considered an "At Will" employment bracket. They can fire you b/c they don't like the way you part hair here. Unemployment was a battle for me when I got fired under false accusations from my management position, but I appealed it, and b/c my employer failed to prove that I did anything wrong (she claimed I violated company policy, but she was whacked outta her mind on pills when we had the tribunal hearing), so I was awarded my unemployment and got it all in one lump sum, the same week I got my tax return lol. Worked out great for me! I'd go back tomorrow, but keep looking for another job. You have bills to pay, and dogs to feed, so you need to think smarter not harder. Have another job already lined up before you walk out those doors, unless they fire you first. Check the unemployment laws in your area and see what the qualifications are before you have to be in that situation. Here it can take up to 6 wks for them to make a decision, and 90% of the time, you get turned down the first go round and end up having to appeal it anyways. Best of luck to you, and please keep us posted.
Glad it worked out for you girl! Had to have SUCKED up until that point

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Dang CA is so relaxed compared to a lot of states. A girl I used to work with at a gas station got fired for stealing and giving away free stuff. She filed for unemployment and got granted. Also I know someone who is getting unemployment right now for getting laid off. Only thing is he never had a job to begin with, it was a fake job and a pretend lay off. Kinda makes you wonder huh? I think if you give a 2 week for good reason you should get unemployment.

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
They're mentally and some of them physically abusive.

I have tried several times to make this work here. It's just not. I plan on going back to school,so I can get a job I actually want.

They are full of mind games here,telling you one thing,then actually doing another.

I took over a cooks position after she quit,and it took me 5 months of harassment to get my job title changed and get the money increase I was promised.

They changed my title,but did not give me the money I was promised.

I left a VERY good paying job,for this job,cause they promised me things I have yet to see.

And when the original hired cook decided to come back after a year of absence. They kicked me to the curb. They're trying to tell me that they didn;t but they did.

Why else would I still be "cook 1" but be at the steam table,or taking out trash or washing dishes? I NEVER cook anymore. They gave her my schedule and stuck me with a crap schedule,when I had the same schedule for almost 2 years.

I worked very hard to get that position and with no prior skills I had to literally WORK my way up to it.
I had to learn EVERYTHING with in a short time after that cook quit too. I learn VERY fast however. I have had several compliments from customers about my food.

The ONE time I had a complaint(after just getting a compliment too) instead of teaching me how to do it the right way, they threatened to FIRE me or DEMOTE me.

AFTER ONE MISTAKE! ONE! I should have been smarter and quit then,but I tried to not let that get to me. But they really just treat people badly here. We have lost almost all of our staff.
The newest hire didn't even last 2 months before she bailed.
I know exactly how you feel. I went through the same thing at an old job. The Office manager & lady I worked alongside would utilize 'department meetings' to belittle, harrass & degrade me. If I questioned her opionion or asked how I can fix it, it would get worse & they'ed both accuse me of being defensive. The lady I worked alongside litterally told me to my face she would never like me & refused to flat out because "I was young & white". She got away with it because I never said anything thinking I was too new & no one would believe me, which they didn't after I explode one day after 3 years of her bs. But the office manager did get herself fired on her own accord.

You have to find out if you work in a 'right to work' state or not, which Florida is. If you do you're pretty much f'd as an employee.

Dang CA is so relaxed compared to a lot of states. A girl I used to work with at a gas station got fired for stealing and giving away free stuff. She filed for unemployment and got granted. Also I know someone who is getting unemployment right now for getting laid off. Only thing is he never had a job to begin with, it was a fake job and a pretend lay off. Kinda makes you wonder huh? I think if you give a 2 week for good reason you should get unemployment.
I hope your friend doesn't get caught because that's a federal felony. :/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts