Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately my puppy has been having more accidents inside the house and I'm unsure why...

I take her outside she does her business but comes back inside and 10 mins later does the same inside...

Not sure what to do. I know she's only 6wks but I feel like she's doing it just to test me already... Any advice?!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
Havin a puppy in the house is hard mama.. And, she is suuper young. Time and repetition is the only thing you can do.. Kids are the same way.. That's why we have diapers.. When nature calls.. ya know
Repetition, repetition repetition

Rub her nose in her accident, make the same movement to the door, over and over and over, For an inside pup, that's all you got,, puppy pee pads are nice, hit and miss but nice, You just gotta always be watching her.. Good luck :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Definitely don't rub her nose in her accident. That's is a big no no. U can't punish a dog for having an accident especially a puppy. It will only make them scared of u and unsure of what to do when it's time to go potty. Best thing to do is be consistent and always try to catch her before she's going to go so u have time to take her out side. Make sure to bring treats with u outside so when she does go potty outside u can give her a treat and lots of praise.

Try to bring her to the same spot everytime so she can be familiar with where to go. She is still very young and puppies can only hold their bladder for 2 hours at most.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
first of all, completely do away with the "dog is doing this to spite me" attitude. I guarantee a 6 week old puppy is not doing anything like that. you need to work on a schedule, learn her schedule. The dog needs to be walked every time it eats, plays, wakes up, before it goes in the kennel and as soon as it's brought out of the kennel. For the next few months you'll deal with accidents, but they will become fewer and further in between. The key is to catch her IN the act, a stern NO or NA-ah-ah... calmly walk over and pick the puppy up and bring her outside on the grass. Every single time she successfully pottys on the grass. Throw a party, jump up and down in excitement and treat her. The best way to go about potty training i've found is with positive reinforcement. If she has an accident and you're not there to catch her, don't punish her, she isn't able to remember what she did and associate the punishment to the act. So just clean it up and move on. Any time she is not able to be supervised, she should be kept in an appropriate size kennel. Hope that helps a little, don't get frustrated, just be patient and loving and as her little body grows and she's better able to control her bladder, she will. No worries. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's like I take her outside she goes poop & pee and then I bring her inside and not even 10mins later she goes inside my house... Not sure why she's doing that. I take her out every 30min-1hr. She seems to being doing good when I take her out. It's just a few accidents here & there not all the time. Maybe 3x during the day & 1 a night.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
She's a puppy. I mean babies shit in their diaper about 10 times a day... Every week will get a little easier, it's all just apart of owning such a young puppy. Hang in there and try not to get so frustrated or stressed by it. In no time she'll be humongous and you'll miss her being itty bitty.

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
Definitely don't rub her nose in her accident. That's is a big no no. U can't punish a dog for having an accident especially a puppy. It will only make them scared of u and unsure of what to do when it's time to go potty. Best thing to do is be consistent and always try to catch her before she's going to go so u have time to take her out side. Make sure to bring treats with u outside so when she does go potty outside u can give her a treat and lots of praise.

Try to bring her to the same spot everytime so she can be familiar with where to go. She is still very young and puppies can only hold their bladder for 2 hours at most.
Oh fiddlesticks...

Don't hit your dog, you can say that.. But nose rubbing in the pee is associating the sternness and punishment for doing something incorrectly..

Different strokes I guess, but it doesn't make them fear you, and it definitely isn't a no no..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Everytime she pees or poops in my house. I rub her nose in it and tell her No bad girl then take her outside... Well of course ring the bell by the door then take her out. Along with biting but I flick her nose and tell her Don't bite. She's slowly catching on .

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
If you haven't read the sticky in the training section about NILIF training, please do. Don't baby your dog, it'll create a needy dog with separation anxiety. I know it's hard and i'm trying to untrain my neediness of my dog. But you want her to grow up confident and independent. start early it'll save you a world of problems as an adult.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't baby her to an extent. I just let her sleep with me & she always wants to be around me. It's because she's around me 24/7. I don't take anywhere yet just because she hasent been vaccinated yet, but she will be tomorrow.

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
Her reactions to your reactions to her peeing is what gets your attention.. I do like to above stated saying to jump up and down in joy and praise praise when she potties outside.. that reaction will start catching on too.. make it the happiest time.
Also I agree don't baby too much.. be the dominant, without aggression. be in charge. body language is key

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm only doing the potty training and bite inhibition right now, don't want to pin to much on such a young pup...

And I don't baby her all like that. She's mostly independant. Just when it comes to nap time or bedtime she's spoiled.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
don't let the dog sleep with you or always be around you. Because when you do leave, the entire time you're gone the dog can develop serious separation anxiety which can turn into destruction. watch this when you get some time, it will benefit you and the relationship you'll have with your dog.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Glad you have the vet appt tomorrow. Don't let the peeing stress you. At 6 weeks they can't hold their bladder to save their lives. Camo was the same way until close to 8 weeks, about then they can hold it for 30-60 minute increments, but at 6 weeks they pee, pee some more, then poop, and pee some more.

The muscles that control the bladder take months to fully develop. It is not intentional that she does it, she just does not even know her own body yet, can't get it all out in 1 shot. Stay strong girl, you'll get through this ;)

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
I know that feeling, Camo is only 8 1/2 weeks yesterday and the accidents are less frequent but still happen. I expect about another 2-3 months before he really starts to be good about it, and probably close to 8-9 months old before they get truly house broken.

At 6 weeks you will have pee in the crate with 2-3 hour spans. The longest they could possibly hold it at that age is about 30 mins. And even at that like I said above, they can't get it all out in 1 shot because the muscles around the bladder have not developed.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
have some faith, my girl was completely potty trained by 5 months. She was left in a crate for about 9 hours while i was at work too. I'm sure like ppl they develop and learn at their own rate. But it could be sooner than you think :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info :) . My pup will be 6 and a half weeks tomorrow ! She gets her shots tomorrow and her vet appt in about a week... I think I'm gunna start taking her out every 30 mins when she's awake just to be safe :) @night not sure yet. I was doing every 2hrs but seems to be too long .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts