Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
WOW! I watched six minutes of it because it was making me sick with all the motion and the moving of the camera LOL! Amazing how they stay with him and how he guides them with just one motion of his hand. What a well behaved pack of mutts!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
very cool ,dogs are very well behaved.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Very well behaved dogs and man they are in shape. It looks like they ran quite a distance and played along the way. I thought sled dogs were malamutes or huskies, but most that I have seen look like muts. Is there an actual sled dog breed or are they basically carefully bred (selected for desired characteristics) muts?

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Very well behaved dogs and man they are in shape. It looks like they ran quite a distance and played along the way. I thought sled dogs were malamutes or huskies, but most that I have seen look like muts. Is there an actual sled dog breed or are they basically carefully bred (selected for desired characteristics) muts?
They do use malamutes and huskies for sled dogs but there is also the Alaskan husky which is a mixed breed that alot of sled dog racers use. They can be a combo of husky and other northern breeds and some may even have more than two different breeds mixed in. They do carefully select these dogs for the desired traits and characteristics according to their performance and drive for the sled.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/alaskanhusky.htm

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
They do use malamutes and huskies for sled dogs but there is also the Alaskan husky which is a mixed breed that alot of sled dog racers use. They can be a combo of husky and other northern breeds and some may even have more than two different breeds mixed in. They do carefully select these dogs for the desired traits and characteristics according to their performance and drive for the sled.
Alaskan Husky Information and Pictures, Alaskan Huskies
Don't trust dog breed info for anything, it's a pretty cruddy site. I'd like to learn more about Alaskan Huskies but have yet to find a trustworthy site with information on them. :/ Wikipedia says it's just a type which so far research points towards, but nothing definitive.

For example
Developed from the Bull and Terrier types of yesteryear, the American Pit Bull Terrier was bred as an all around farm dog, working the farms as a cattle/hog dog. Some chose to turn their talents into the sport of pit-fighting
When we all the know they were created for fighting through fighting. (That's only one example, they also act as though many many mixed breeds are pure, and anyone can email them saying "This is my dog he is this mix or this breed" without showing proof and they'll use it. Speaking from experience.)

Okay shutting off my debating brain.(lol I wish I could)

A picture borrowed from Mach0, working bred Husky

I wonder if the dogs are related, they look to be of similar age for the most part, maybe a whole litter? interesting.

Edit: Not trying to be rude or anything as I know my bluntness comes off like that sometimes. But yeah... that site... horribly inaccurate/

·
Registered
67 Posts
I also noticed what appeared to be a German shorthaired pointer in the video as well. Very cool dogs and well trained.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
That was so cool. Best part for me was the chasing of the birds in the fields lol. That. WS great :)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Don't trust dog breed info for anything, it's a pretty cruddy site. I'd like to learn more about Alaskan Huskies but have yet to find a trustworthy site with information on them. :/ Wikipedia says it's just a type which so far research points towards, but nothing definitive.

For example
When we all the know they were created for fighting through fighting. (That's only one example, they also act as though many many mixed breeds are pure, and anyone can email them saying "This is my dog he is this mix or this breed" without showing proof and they'll use it. Speaking from experience.)

Okay shutting off my debating brain.(lol I wish I could)

A picture borrowed from Mach0, working bred Husky

I wonder if the dogs are related, they look to be of similar age for the most part, maybe a whole litter? interesting.

Edit: Not trying to be rude or anything as I know my bluntness comes off like that sometimes. But yeah... that site... horribly inaccurate/
I've seen the show "breed all about it" on Animal planet before on the Alaskan huskies. They have also done stories on nat geo about them and how alot of people use them in the iditarod race. I've also known a couple people who have bred them. They are all mixed breeds and bred for working purposes. I basically posted that site so he could see the pic of one which they all look different. Just google away and I'm sure you can find plenty more pics and info on them...as well as breeders ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yep. Husky's are more of an endurance dog so they mix in a faster type breed to balance them out. In fact, you get breeders who deliberately breed and advertise their mix breed sled dogs for racing.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
I've seen the show "breed all about it" on Animal planet before on the Alaskan huskies. They have also done stories on nat geo about them and how alot of people use them in the iditarod race. I've also known a couple people who have bred them. They are all mixed breeds and bred for working purposes. I basically posted that site so he could see the pic of one which they all look different. Just google away and I'm sure you can find plenty more pics and info on them...as well as breeders ;)
Thank you, currently watching this, it's interesting.
Iditarod: The Alaskan Husky : Video : Discovery Channel

Too bad it's not the whole thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts