Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With the popularity growing of people wanting to own this breed to help protect and preach that these dogs are family friendly, dog friendly dogs and "its all in how you raise them" i have noticed there is an over whelming new owner population (even some older owners) that wants and acts like they are ambassadors. I hope in this thread to get the facts straight before anyone may be thinking about doing this or before following bad advice.

Understanding what an American Pit Bull Terrier is:
First and foremost, if you own a "rare blue pitbull" i have to tell you, you probably don't have an APBT. A purebred blue APBT would be a VERY hard find and with the overwhelming majority of American Bully breeders breeding this color and selling them as high dollar rare APBT's, this can be very confusing. In today's dogs i am almost certain blue doesn't even exist in this breed any longer, whether its to blame of breeders, American Bullies, American Staffordshires or just happened who knows. To give an example of what a real APBT with the "blue" color looks like here is a link to GrCh Soga; http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/modules.php?name=Public&file=printPedigree&dog_id=231848
The breed standard according to the books is 30-60lbs however a more realistic figure seems to be accepted among dogmen and owners of today is 25-55lbs. If your dog weighs on the heavier side or heavier (I.E 62lbs) there is a slight chance you still own an APBT however the likely hood is very slim and would more commonly be grouped in as either American Bully or American Staffordshire Terrier. If you are considering to be an Ambassador though, have a well bred fit into the standard APBT as there is already too much confusion as to what this breed is in the public eye. If you walk around with a fairly large size dog, looking like an APBT, your only proving one person at a time these dogs are large when in fact they are considered medium sized dogs.

Embrace. Respect. Understand: DA; Truth?
So you passed the first section huh? So lets continue on with now understanding what exactly is DA? What does it mean? DA (Dog Aggression) is something that goes hand to hand with this breed which is why on this forum you may see users (including myself) talk about how the infamous Dog Park is a horrible idea, however I will save that for a little later.
Now by now you may be thinking, "well i saw on the Dog Whisperer that you can train dog aggression out of dogs!!" Well with some breeds that may be possible depending upon how advanced it is and what kind of DA it is, either A) Fear, B) Triggered by various reasons including stress, survival, etc or C) Genetic. The APBT does in fact have whats known as Genetic Dog Aggression. What does that mean, exactly? Back before the breed even existed and in the time of the sport Pit Fighting, sportsmen wanted a dog that could be loyal, friendly and respectful of the family and humans though also have a HIGH game and drive for the sport. (dog fighting) As to what EXACTLY went into the mix no one i have found really agrees precisely what happened in the very beginning however the end result was phenomenal. The earliest APBT's showed to be true Dog Fighters and had all traits humans wanted. From that point on with selective breeding a years and years later we have todays dog. Put simply, over the course of selective breeding for specific traits (genes) they accomplished to produce a breed that had a genetic will for attacking and killing other dogs yet a temperament that any person could only love.
"But i talked to someone who has never had trouble at dog parks with their pittie, so obviously your wrong and not ALL APBT's are DA!!!" Well, the ironic and beautiful part is no one can determine when a dog will have DA triggered. Some show it when they start walking and have enough energy to fight while others may not show until well beyond senior years. However, to make the mistake of trusting your APBT with other dogs will surely end up eventually as a failure. Out of all APBT's there may be a 5% (give or take) that never show DA throughout their entire lives, mostly due to breeding practices however there are many factors that could potentially explain this 5%. Is it a chance worth to take? NO!!! The APBT are in the terrier family but also are bulldogs. When an APBT fights it is impossible to break them up by shouting, water hoes, firing a gun in the air, hitting them, etc and trust me i believe ive heard it all. There is only one ideal and safe method of separation when it comes to fighting and thats investing and properly using a Break Stick. Owning this breed and not owning a Break Stick is irresponsible, even if you never have to use one. The only other method that ive seen works that i DONT recommend is taking a lighter to the noses. A Break Stick is not break-proof however if properly used, its fast, easy and safe for your APBT and you.
Just as an additional piece of information on Dog Parks; Another reason why i highly do not recommend them to ANY dog owner is because of all the diseases your dog may pick up. Even if you take your dog to such parks while no dog is there. Salmonellosis is one disease that is very common for dogs to pick up at dog parks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If anyone has anything to add feel free! Got tired of writing for now.

Reactions: American_Pit13

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Very good post. I was talking to a friend the other day who really wants an APBT, however with her life style she needs a dog that can be around other dogs and knows she can't do this with this breed so she has a Queensland who fits her life perfectly.

I know we all want the best for this breed, but they are not just like every other dog. They need specific owners who understand the breed and understand what owning this breed means.

A good long time member we have here I jumped on at first when he made the comment he would never own this breed again. He got his dog as a rescue and though he loves his dog and does what needs to be done to properly own his dog until its life span is over, however this breed doesn't suit him and he very well understood that this breed was not for him.

Just as an additional piece of information on Dog Parks; Another reason why i highly do not recommend them to ANY dog owner is because of all the diseases your dog may pick up. Even if you take your dog to such parks while no dog is there. Salmonellosis is one disease that is very common for dogs to pick up at dog parks.
:goodpost:

P.S Your link for the blue APBT isn't working.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very good post. I was talking to a friend the other day who really wants an APBT, however with her life style she needs a dog that can be around other dogs and knows she can't do this with this breed so she has a Queensland who fits her life perfectly.

I know we all want the best for this breed, but they are not just like every other dog. They need specific owners who understand the breed and understand what owning this breed means.

A good long time member we have here I jumped on at first when he made the comment he would never own this breed again. He got his dog as a rescue and though he loves his dog and does what needs to be done to properly own his dog until its life span is over, however this breed doesn't suit him and he very well understood that this breed was not for him.

:goodpost:

P.S Your link for the blue APBT isn't working.
Thank you and i have fixed the link. :rofl:

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
I get a lot of compliments on my girl where ever I go. A long with a lot of rude comments. "Why is her head so small" "She is too small to be a pit bull" I really have to laugh those off and do my best to explain that is the correct size and the dogs they are referring to are not! The compliments I like to hear the most are how well behaved she is. Because I did that! :)

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
LMAO some people as me what my pit is mixed with! Then they argue why they are so small........ This goes back to the other thread about how you raise them.
I thought it was hilarious that when we chipped Bee and Crixus I told them they were both purebred and the put Bee as and APBT and Crixus as a mix! I was like are you kidding me! Shes the actual APBT lmao.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
I think there are way too many who think just because they own a dog, it makes them an expert. Though some may have good intentions often bad advice and misinformation is given out.

I think I've had to correct more owners who have misconceptions then the general public which I find truly sad. A lot has to do with their being so much misinformation on the web and so many BYBs along with the media spewing crappola.

The breed is a constant learning experience. Ask questions of those who appear to know what they are talking about LOL and then check and recheck what they have told you. Take good info where you find it and make your own knowledge base if you want to help yourself, the breed and others.

A good place to start is learning not only the history of the breed but the standard.

Here are good links which I've posted many times:
http://www.apbtconformation.com/?sid=ea6ef4bff66cc0f2a449e8b4b68424bd

http://www.apbt.info/tiki-index.php

more on conformation/soundness:
http://www.workingpitbull.com/soundness.htm

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
I think there are way too many who think just because they own a dog, it makes them an expert. Though some may have good intentions often bad advice and misinformation is given out.

I think I've had to correct more owners who have misconceptions then the general public which I find truly sad. A lot has to do with their being so much misinformation on the web and so many BYBs along with the media spewing crappola.

The breed is a constant learning experience. Ask questions of those who appear to know what they are talking about LOL and then check and recheck what they have told you. Take good info where you find it and make your own knowledge base if you want to help yourself, the breed and others.

A good place to start is learning not only the history of the breed but the standard.

Here are good links which I've posted many times:
American Pit Bull Terrier Network Pit Bull Encyclopedia A to Z about the APBT

Encyclopedia of the American Pit Bull Terrier : HomePage

more on conformation/soundness:
Official Pit Bull Site of Diane Jessup
:goodpost::roll:

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
With the popularity growing of people wanting to own this breed to help protect and preach that these dogs are family friendly, dog friendly dogs and "its all in how you raise them" i have noticed there is an over whelming new owner population (even some older owners) that wants and acts like they are ambassadors. I hope in this thread to get the facts straight before anyone may be thinking about doing this or before following bad advice.

Understanding what an American Pit Bull Terrier is:
First and foremost, if you own a "rare blue pitbull" i have to tell you, you probably don't have an APBT. A purebred blue APBT would be a VERY hard find and with the overwhelming majority of American Bully breeders breeding this color and selling them as high dollar rare APBT's, this can be very confusing. In today's dogs i am almost certain blue doesn't even exist in this breed any longer, whether its to blame of breeders, American Bullies, American Staffordshires or just happened who knows. To give an example of what a real APBT with the "blue" color looks like here is a link to GrCh Soga; ONLINE PEDIGREES :: [231848] :: BELLON CLUB'S SOGA
The breed standard according to the books is 30-60lbs however a more realistic figure seems to be accepted among dogmen and owners of today is 25-55lbs. If your dog weighs on the heavier side or heavier (I.E 62lbs) there is a slight chance you still own an APBT however the likely hood is very slim and would more commonly be grouped in as either American Bully or American Staffordshire Terrier. If you are considering to be an Ambassador though, have a well bred fit into the standard APBT as there is already too much confusion as to what this breed is in the public eye. If you walk around with a fairly large size dog, looking like an APBT, your only proving one person at a time these dogs are large when in fact they are considered medium sized dogs.

Embrace. Respect. Understand: DA; Truth?
So you passed the first section huh? So lets continue on with now understanding what exactly is DA? What does it mean? DA (Dog Aggression) is something that goes hand to hand with this breed which is why on this forum you may see users (including myself) talk about how the infamous Dog Park is a horrible idea, however I will save that for a little later.
Now by now you may be thinking, "well i saw on the Dog Whisperer that you can train dog aggression out of dogs!!" Well with some breeds that may be possible depending upon how advanced it is and what kind of DA it is, either A) Fear, B) Triggered by various reasons including stress, survival, etc or C) Genetic. The APBT does in fact have whats known as Genetic Dog Aggression. What does that mean, exactly? Back before the breed even existed and in the time of the sport Pit Fighting, sportsmen wanted a dog that could be loyal, friendly and respectful of the family and humans though also have a HIGH game and drive for the sport. (dog fighting) As to what EXACTLY went into the mix no one i have found really agrees precisely what happened in the very beginning however the end result was phenomenal. The earliest APBT's showed to be true Dog Fighters and had all traits humans wanted. From that point on with selective breeding a years and years later we have todays dog. Put simply, over the course of selective breeding for specific traits (genes) they accomplished to produce a breed that had a genetic will for attacking and killing other dogs yet a temperament that any person could only love.
"But i talked to someone who has never had trouble at dog parks with their pittie, so obviously your wrong and not ALL APBT's are DA!!!" Well, the ironic and beautiful part is no one can determine when a dog will have DA triggered. Some show it when they start walking and have enough energy to fight while others may not show until well beyond senior years. However, to make the mistake of trusting your APBT with other dogs will surely end up eventually as a failure. Out of all APBT's there may be a 5% (give or take) that never show DA throughout their entire lives, mostly due to breeding practices however there are many factors that could potentially explain this 5%. Is it a chance worth to take? NO!!! The APBT are in the terrier family but also are bulldogs. When an APBT fights it is impossible to break them up by shouting, water hoes, firing a gun in the air, hitting them, etc and trust me i believe ive heard it all. There is only one ideal and safe method of separation when it comes to fighting and thats investing and properly using a Break Stick. Owning this breed and not owning a Break Stick is irresponsible, even if you never have to use one. The only other method that ive seen works that i DONT recommend is taking a lighter to the noses. A Break Stick is not break-proof however if properly used, its fast, easy and safe for your APBT and you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If anyone has anything to add feel free! Got tired of writing for now.
:clap: for the most part I agree! for the most part ;) :goodpost:

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
:goodpost::roll:
I 2nd that good post..

performanceknls
LMAO some people as me what my pit is mixed with! Then they argue why they are so small........ This goes back to the other thread about how you raise them.
working form again is the true form of most breeds..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts